Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 is shutting down

http://www.cepro.com/article/the_end_of_x10/

interesting. maybe there will be more bandwidth on the internet when they shutdown their bloated annoying website.

While I no longer use many X10 powerline based devices, I do extensively use DS10's and MS14's. Maybe time to stock up.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I still recommend X-10 to HA newbees mostly because of its simplicity and very reasonable costs.

There's probably so much X10 devices stockpiled that while X10 will no longer produce products they'll be around for many years to come.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
        While I no longer use many X10 powerline based devices, I do extensively use DS10's and MS14's. Maybe time to stock up.
        Agreed Wade. My system is still 80%+ x10. I started in 2001 and I think I have replaced 3 supersockets and 2 lamp modules. I have been migrating my way into insteon with some important components using SmartHome products that support both protocols, but I have to confess that right now most of it is because I want to, the x10 stuff works really well and is extrememly cost effective.

I won't miss the the seizures from viewing their website, but as you say its time to stock up on few more spares before they go.
        Paul

Comment

Just because the X10 site and company is calling it quits these devices will still be produced over seas and someone will pick up the hardware. Let's just hope they have better web designers.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

We went through this discussion a number of years ago... But I think at that time it was the US site only. I tried to search for any business news related to this and couldn't find anything.... So let's hope that it doesn't happen.

While their website may be annoying, they still have a price point that can't be matched... And also some devices that are unique (in either function or cost).

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              Just because the X10 site and company is calling it quits these devices will still be produced over seas and someone will pick up the hardware. Let's just hope they have better web designers.
              I have suspected for some time that many of the devices that are based on the X10 protocol have had little to do with the X10.com web site. Does anyone know what technology the company called X10 actually controlled?
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_(industry_standard):

History

In 1970, a group of engineers started a company in Glenrothes, Scotland called Pico Electronics. The company revolutionized the calculator industry by developing the first single chip calculator.[1] When the calculator IC prices started to fall, Pico refocused on commercial products rather than plain ICs.
                In 1974, the Pico engineers jointly developed a vinyl LP changer with BSR, at the time the largest manufacturer of record changers in the world. It could be operated by a remote control using ultrasound signals, which sparked the idea of remote control for lights and appliances. By 1975, the X10 project was conceived, named so because it was the tenth project. In 1978, X10 products started to appear in Radio Shack and Sears stores. Together with BSR a partnership was formed, with the name X10 Ltd. At that time the system consisted of a 16 channel command console, a lamp module, and an appliance module. Soon after came the wall switch module and the first X10 timer.
                In the 1980s, the CP-290 computer interface was released. Software for the interface runs on the Apple II, Macintosh, MS-DOS, and MS-Windows.
                In 1984, BSR went out of business, and X10 (USA) Inc. was formed. In the early 1990s, the consumer market was divided into two main categories, the ultra-high-end with a budget at US$100,000 and the mass market with budgets at US$2,000 to US$35,000. CEBus (1984) and LonWorks (1991) were attempts to improve reliability and replace X10, but have yet to succeed with market ubiquity.

Comment

FWIW

From an X10 insider: "X10 is having some problems, but Jacobson isn't entirely correct. I think there may be a second blog with Jacobson clarify some of the statements".

Like I said "for what it's worth".

Comment

funny, they say X10's factories will shut down. I have a little knowledge of these types of companies and I would bet they don't own any factories. They own patents and all of the production is outsourced to third party manufacturers. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was someone who takes them over and keeps the sale of x10 going. I guess I should buy a couple of socket rockets. This is really the only X10 device I need. I have been converting away from X10 and have very very little left.

Also, wouldn't surprise me if this weren't a sales gimmic to drum up some business.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffCharger View Post
                      We went through this discussion a number of years ago... But I think at that time it was the US site only. I tried to search for any business news related to this and couldn't find anything.... So let's hope that it doesn't happen.

While their website may be annoying, they still have a price point that can't be matched... And also some devices that are unique (in either function or cost).
                      That panic was just another of X10.com's not so clever marketing schemes. One has to wonder if this isn't just another ploy to boost sales (put the rumor out there and let people run with it). However, this time there's no mention of it on their site which to my mind, only thickens the plot.
                      As Rupp said, the technology is out there and will be around for some time to come. But, is it the end of 'cheap' package deals or will we have to deal with some company in China from now on?
                      I know I wouldn't miss the daily emails nor the incessant popups on the website. What did scantily clad girls have to do with HA... we're GEEKS afterall!
                      BTW: Anyone still have the links to the best sales for MS14's, DS-10's and Palmpads? Ie. 5 or 10 for one.
                      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
                        funny, they say X10's factories will shut down. I have a little knowledge of these types of companies and I would bet they don't own any factories. They own patents and all of the production is outsourced to third party manufacturers. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was someone who takes them over and keeps the sale of x10 going.

Also, wouldn't surprise me if this weren't a sales gimmic to drum up some business.
                        Given the track record, the sales gimmick idea cannot be ruled out.

I really doubt that the company owns anything but a name and some web servers. The patents have to have expired long ago. The X10 protocol name appears to be in the public domain. The factories are certainly doing contract manufacturing. I've been buying my modules from independent sellers on eBay for years.

I suspect the business is failing because it is just one of many resellers of X10 modules, but with more overhead than its competition.
                        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
                          funny, they say X10's factories will shut down. I have a little knowledge of these types of companies and I would bet they don't own any factories.
                          $0.02
                          X10 definately owned the Shenzhen factory which they tranfered to from Hong Kong, back in 1980's. I thought this Shenzhen factory is their current location but it is not.
                          Last edited by Dave W; August 24, 2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

X10 is totally stopping manufacturing

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                            I can assure you all that x10 has totally stopped manufacturing all x10 products. As of now the entire product line will no long be produced. The plant in Szechuan, China has officially closed. I know this because I'm now looking for another job in the industry. I haven't been officially let go yet but it is in the works.

Comment

Originally posted by hasdjp View Post
                              I can assure you all that x10 has totally stopped manufacturing all x10 products. As of now the entire product line will no long be produced. The plant in Szechuan, China has officially closed. I know this because I'm now looking for another job in the industry. I haven't been officially let go yet but it is in the works.
                              Why can't I find anything on this in the business news?

Comment

Working...
                              X