Aeon Door/Window Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeon Door/Window Sensor

I have a question. It seems as if my door sensor I have installed on my garage does not send status updates unless the sensor is tripped. Is that the way it is supposed to work? If so, then why in homeseer is there an option to wake the sensor at specified intervals. Mine doesn''t appear to wake at those intervals. Is that a range issue? Thanks in advance.

Mine are all the Everspring model. But I image they work the same. The wakeup is when it reports its battery status to Homeseer. I have mine set for once a day. Then run an event once a day to report if any are 30% or lower. I find my door sensors stop working a couple weeks after they get to 30%. They seldom report 20%. They just stop at that point.

That said. They last several months between changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal7 View Post
      Mine are all the Everspring model. But I image they work the same. The wakeup is when it reports its battery status to Homeseer. I have mine set for once a day. Then run an event once a day to report if any are 30% or lower. I find my door sensors stop working a couple weeks after they get to 30%. They seldom report 20%. They just stop at that point.

That said. They last several months between changes.
      Wow. They only last several months after a battery change? I thought mine said it would last 2 yrs. That's good to hear about how often it should report the battery status. Just wasn't sure if mine was a range issue or not, sounds like it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
        Wow. They only last several months after a battery change? I thought mine said it would last 2 yrs. That's good to hear about how often it should report the battery status. Just wasn't sure if mine was a range issue or not, sounds like it isn't.
        Did you modify the plastic on the Aeon Labs D/W Sensor? The batteries should last around a year depending on how often it is used - have 6 of the Aeon Labs sensors in my network and the batteries last longer in some based use.

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
          Did you modify the plastic on the Aeon Labs D/W Sensor? The batteries should last around a year depending on how often it is used - have 6 of the Aeon Labs sensors in my network and the batteries last longer in some based use.
          I didn't modify anything. What plastic?

Comment

I use the Everspring / Home Manageables D/W sensors for Garage Door Control they can utilize an external contact without modication to the outside case(plastic)
            Attached Files

Comment

Now I'm curious about my numbers. Now that I'm home I checked the numbers.

Outside Garage Door 13 Months
              Inside Garage Door 13 Months
              Main Outside Door 8 months and still counting
              Basement Door 13 Months
              Freezer Door 8 Months then 8 more and still counting
              Furnace Door 6 and counting
              Bed Closet Door 15 and counting
              Bathroom Door 6 Months.

I think I remember I had a door that went dead after only a couple months. I think it was set to wake up every hour instead of once a day like I normally set them. So be aware this setting can make a big difference.

So it can vary wildly depending on settings and how often it triggers a day.

All of these trigger at least 2 times a day. Some such as the bathroom can be many more a day.

Personally I've not modified anything. Although I do user a stronger magnet I picked up for a couple bucks on the Outside Garage Door so I can sense at a bigger gap then what is on regular doors using the magnet that comes with it.

Does anyone ever open a door at a friends house and then be suprised for just a second that the lights don't automaticly come on? Then think, Oh ya, this is not my house.

Comment

Take a look at Root Device 61, Root Device 63, Root Device 95 and Root Device 137 those are 4 of the Aeon Labs D/W Sensors in my network.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
                  Take a look at Root Device 61, Root Device 63, Root Device 95 and Root Device 137 those are 4 of the Aeon Labs D/W Sensors in my network.
                  I mean mine show up but the point is that they only register when they are tripped. IE, homeseer can't poll them to see if they're open or closed. Of course if it's "tripped" open then homeseer knows it's open and if it's "tripped" closed homeseer knows it's closed. However, it can't poll these devices at a moment to see if they're open or closed. Right?

Comment

Now I'm curious about my numbers. Now that I'm home I checked the numbers.

Outside Garage Door 13 Months
                    Inside Garage Door 13 Months
                    Main Outside Door 8 months and still counting
                    Basement Door 13 Months
                    Freezer Door 8 Months then 8 more and still counting
                    Furnace Door 6 and counting
                    Bed Closet Door 15 and counting
                    Bathroom Door 6 Months.

I think I remember I had a door that went dead after only a couple months. I think it was set to wake up every hour instead of once a day like I normally set them. So be aware this setting can make a big difference.

So it can vary wildly depending on settings and how often it triggers a day.

All of these trigger at least 2 times a day. Some such as the bathroom can be many more a day.

Personally I've not modified anything. Although I do user a stronger magnet I picked up for a couple bucks on the Outside Garage Door so I can sense at a bigger gap then what is on regular doors using the magnet that comes with it.

Does anyone ever open a door at a friends house and then be suprised for just a second that the lights don't automaticly come on? Then think, Oh ya, this is not my house.
                    Where did you get a bigger magnet. I tried picking up some magnet tape at Menards and it didn't work. Any ideas?

Comment

Where did you get a bigger magnet. I tried picking up some magnet tape at Menards and it didn't work. Any ideas?
                      At the local Canadian Tire. Its a general automotive shop that sells lots of other stuff too. Its just a small bar magnet. Its bigger and stronger then the default one but not super crazy or anything, but it let me change the gap from very small to about an inch while still triggering.

Note that I tried some rare earth ones that where flat disks I borrowed from a coworker. I had to use a lot before they worked. But the Bar magnet even though its weaker then the rare earth ones seems to work better. I think its the bar shape that that has magnetic poles on the ends that made the difference.

Also Note that the orientation made a big difference. Sitting one way I can use a big gap. Sitting another way the gap has to be a lot smaller.

Hmm. Never heard of Magnetic tape other then for data storage.
                      I just went to www.menards.com to see what your talking about.

I see a Magnet Bar and Magnet Block. I bet either of those would do what you want.

I bet the circles and strips will NOT work. But this is just a guess.

Comment

Love it!

Comment

Working...
                        X