Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for way to alert via homeseer of a fire

Hello!
    I would like to get people's thoughts on how I could get homeseer to notify me of a fire in my garage.

Open to any ideas!

Thanks!

A heat/fire detector connected to a security system is the typical course of action.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi

I use a Firex 4870 (iirc) smoke alarm which has a 3wire interface. Two wires provide mains power and the third provides a 9v output when the alarm has detected smoke. The reason for this is normally is so you can daisy chain the alarms together and when one alarm detects smoke all of the alarms will sound. I use a phidget to pick up the 9v output on a fire alarm activation to tell HS when a smoke alarm has gone off. I guess you could also use the same fire alarm with an X10 power flash module to detect the signal and tell HS via X10.

Is detecting smoke satisfactory for your requirement or do you need to detect a fire directly? I appreciate the saying "There is no smoke without fire" but fire and smoke detection are big subjects and sometime you want to detect fire and not smoke.

Comment

Are you asking about alerting you when you are at home or to make you aware of a fire if you are away (or both)?

If the chance of a fire in your garage is significant you should seriously consider two actions. 1) Reduce the risk by removing the likely cause. 2) Contract a professionally installed alarm system with a monitoring service.

If you are just using a fire in the garage as an example, and have no specific reason to expect that one will occur, then an alarm with a switch sounds like the most straightforward approach. Keep in mind that false alarms from auto exhaust may be a problem.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

HI

What about a z-wave smoke detector like this one

Greig.
          Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
          X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
          Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
          Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
          Scripts =
          Various

Comment

Originally posted by Bert.Twildge View Post
            Hi

I use a Firex 4870 (iirc) smoke alarm which has a 3wire interface. Two wires provide mains power and the third provides a 9v output when the alarm has detected smoke. The reason for this is normally is so you can daisy chain the alarms together and when one alarm detects smoke all of the alarms will sound. I use a phidget to pick up the 9v output on a fire alarm activation to tell HS when a smoke alarm has gone off. I guess you could also use the same fire alarm with an X10 power flash module to detect the signal and tell HS via X10.

Is detecting smoke satisfactory for your requirement or do you need to detect a fire directly? I appreciate the saying "There is no smoke without fire" but fire and smoke detection are big subjects and sometime you want to detect fire and not smoke.
            This is interesting. Phiget? I will have to look for that.

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
              HI

What about a z-wave smoke detector like this one

Greig.
              Hope they have a US version : )

Comment

Working...
              X