Switch controlling outlets question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch controlling outlets question

So my house has several areas where there is a light switch that controls power to outlets. I have seen several times on this forum that you should NOT put a dimmer switch in place of the switch for those outlets. My question is this: Is the reason for not using a dimmer on these type of switches simply a precaution against someone coming along and plugging other, non-dimmable, items into the outlets? My reason for asking is that I have a room that I am turning into a theater room and I do not want to have to run additional electrical in the walls. I was planning to wall mount a couple of sconces and plug them into the controlled outlets and then I could use a dimmer on them without the ugly factor of using z-wave plug-in modules.

Originally posted by chewie View Post
    So my house has several areas where there is a light switch that controls power to outlets. I have seen several times on this forum that you should NOT put a dimmer switch in place of the switch for those outlets. My question is this: Is the reason for not using a dimmer on these type of switches simply a precaution against someone coming along and plugging other, non-dimmable, items into the outlets? My reason for asking is that I have a room that I am turning into a theater room and I do not want to have to run additional electrical in the walls. I was planning to wall mount a couple of sconces and plug them into the controlled outlets and then I could use a dimmer on them without the ugly factor of using z-wave plug-in modules.
    I think there are only two factors involved to choose from:

1) There is national electrical code against doing this
    2) From a practicality standpoint, if its your room, you can control it. Normally there is enough room to stuff a dimming receptical outet at the point of plugging in. Put some kind of label on the outlet saying 'LAMPS ONLY", etc
    Paul

Comment

OK cool thanks for the quick response! I am not in the habit of doing things against code, as I figure those exist for a reason...:-)

This being the case then the worst case is I have to use plug in modules, as I do not believe there is a z-wave replacement outlet that does dimming.

Comment

OK cool thanks for the quick response! I am not in the habit of doing things against code, as I figure those exist for a reason...:-)

This being the case then the worst case is I have to use plug in modules, as I do not believe there is a z-wave replacement outlet that does dimming.
        I have done "anti code" things in the past, but I have gone to my local building department, provided them with statements and simple hand drawings saying "I want to do this". (Don't mention anything about bld codes)

I know the inspectors and I make a call before going in. You'll get short lecture, a hmmm, and then go ahead. I have yet to have any of shot down, as long as you have a good reputation with them.

I don't see a problem in this case, it is a specific function room, not the whole house. Depends how you work with your local bld and safety

Paul
        Paul

Comment

I don't have zwave. Saying there weren't zwave receptacle modules didn't register at first I guess. These modules are a big part of how I deploy functionality in my house.

I can't think of an alternative unless you have another powerline interface like Insteon or X10
          Paul

Comment

Z-Wave receptacles are on/off(relay) devices - receptacles are 15 amp(1800 watt) devices to be able to handle most standard appliance motors(you cannot run a motor at half power) Dimming modules are rated at 300 watt maximum(incandescent only).

I am not aware of any of other technology that has a dimming receptacle - they all use plug-in modules. There are in-line dimming modules available in other technologies - I am aware of of several manufacturer's working on them for Z-Wave.

Comment

. . .a light switch that controls power to outlets. . .I have a room that I am turning into a theater room and I do not want to have to run additional electrical in the walls. I was planning to wall mount a couple of sconces and plug them into the controlled outlets and then I could use a dimmer on them without the ugly factor of using z-wave plug-in modules.
              Two thoughts:
              - As long as you are controlling how those outlets are used it is unlikely that there will be a problem. But there will come a time when you won't be around to control them. Either you move and forget to remove the dimmer switch or something else happens that is less predictable. In either case, I think it would be wise to label the outlets as clearly as you can and to explain to someone else what you've done and why, what the risks are, and what to do in order to remove the risk.

- Why do you think a plug-in dimmer module is 'uglier' than wires running from an outlet to a sconce?
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Haha, you know, that is a really good point Mike! If I'm not going to put the wires in the wall then what's the difference.

Comment

Working...
                X