Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just getting started

Hello all,

I am just getting started in HA and I need some advice on getting my ideas out of my head and on paper. I would appreciate any guidance on the best ways and equipment to approach the following:

1) First level - Set up bedroom so that a x-time (say 5:45 AM), music starts (source can be mp3, radio,etc.), room light comes on at a dimmed value. As time gets closer to 6:00 AM lights go to full brightness and music goes to a max set volume.

2) Next level - Includes first but adds - Motion detector so that if someone arises during night the lights in room come on to a low set level and light in bathroom does the same.

I have the computer but need specifics on HA items. I am excited about getting all this going and more excited that plug-ins and scripts can be developed to do many things. I am a DBA by trade and a VB developer by hobby.

Thanks in advance for any help

RV6Pilot,
    Welcome to the HS BB. Do you have HomeSeer? If you do then all of this is very possible. I would suggest taking one project at a time and ease into this stuff. The learning curve for HS is not too bad but can be confusing if you thy to accomplish too much at once. First thing to do is to set up an event that executes at 5:45AM. Then in the device actions drag the light you want to start coming on into the Selected devices area. Then double click on the newly added device and the device command form is displayed. Here you can set the dim level and the delay. Repeat this for as many dims as you desire.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Rupp... I have the trial version and will soon purchase the unlock code. I agree with you regarding taking small steps. If you don't mind a follow up question or two... What HA equipment would you suggest for the two levels I asked about and also, I want to replace my thermostat at some point. What I have now is an inexpensive thermostat that requires sliding a switch from hot to cold to fan only. The set points are programmable in that I can do a Mon-Fri rise,leave, return, night time setting and a weekend setting. Do I need something as expensive as the RCS 16B?

Thanks again

Comment

RV6Pilot,
        For the light you will need a light switch that allows preset dims to be used or it will have to be turned on to full bright and then dimmed down. If your just getting started and the light is not a 3 way I would recommend a zwave dimmer switch.

As far as the music goes, I need more information on what you currently have. Do you have whole house audio, or a stereo receiver in the same room for example?

Tstats. I use an RCS TX15-B and love it. If you can run a cable from your PC to your tstat location then a RS232 model may be a viable option as they are cheaper.

Comment

Currently I only have a clock radio in the bedroom. I know I will need speakers and wiring. I also want to have (eventually) VR to select source/station in any room. I am not sure of the best way to proceed.

How can I determine which dimmer switch will or will not go full on then dim?

Thanks for all your info

Comment

Look for the word 2-way when buying a switch. If your light switch is not a 3-way ( 2 switches controlling the same light) I would recommend the new Z-Wave light switch.

Here's a good site to help you decide.

http://www.smarthome.com/shopwiz.asp

Another approach is to use the search functions on this BB and read, read, read ...

Comment

The important thing to look for is the preset dim. 2-way is not as important (but could be useful in some situations). But as Rupp points out, z-wave is something to consider, seriously consider, in a "green field" install. If you don't currently have any X10, you should seriously consider z-wave. But understand that it is a technology in its infancy.

If you decide to stick with X10, I would recommend the Smarthome 'Linc products (SwithLinc, LampLinc, etc.) Again, you don't need 2-way, but read enough about it to understand the difference. You will also need to purchase an X10 interface if you go with X10, or the z-wave interface, if you go with z-wave.

Like Rupp says, read, read, read, and I will add read and read some more Don't jump into this without a good understanding of your options (the problem is there are so many options).

But with HomeSeer you have chosen the premier HA system on the market. Nothing compares, in flexibility and extensibility, or in the incredible amount of support you will find on this message board and from HST (HomeSeer Technologies).

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X