light switch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

light switch questions

I'm really enjoying my trial of HS Pro and am just about to pull the trigger and make the purchase.

I plan on ordering the HS Pro with the z-troller as part of the build your own kit here and save a bit.

However, I have a question regarding my current light switches and would like to possibly include a wall switch replacement or two in my order.

I recently ordered a GE 5609 On/Off switch and when I went to install it I discovered to my horror that my bedroom switch did not have a neutral wire.

So now I need to find a new place to install this, and order a switch that doesn't require a neutral wire.

Easy enough, but then I started thinking.

I would really like to be able to control the lights in my master bathroom as well.

Currently I have 2 sets of switches on opposite sides of the master bathroom (our master bathroom has 2 entrance doors on opposite sides of the room and one set of switches is near each).

On the side near the bedroom is a single on/off switch that controls the main light.

On the side near the family room is a 4x switch that controls: main light (just like the switch near the bedroom), the vanity light, the light over the shower, and the exhaust fan.

I really need to stay with just replacing switches and rewiring is not an option.

With that in mind, can I achieve this and what do I need to buy?

I would like to automate just the main light.
    Maybe use a switch that also has a built in motion detector.

I would like to replace the single switch near the bedroom with a switch with a built in motion detector.

But what abut the other switch on the opposite side of the room that controls the same light?

Do I need to replace it as well?

If so, can I use a companion relay switch? If so, are there any concerns about replacing my current switch with an accessory switch that also has 3 other switches (that I don't need to replace)?

I imagine finding a face plate for the 4 switches (3 normal and one companion relay) that will suit my wife will be next to impossible.

Thanks for all the help.

Originally posted by sifuhall View Post
    I'm really enjoying my trial of HS Pro and am just about to pull the trigger and make the purchase. I plan on ordering the HS Pro with the z-troller . . .
    Welcome to the HS community.

It's not completely clear from your question: are you intending to purchase Z-wave switches, or are you considering switches that do not link to HS as well?

Currently I have 2 sets of switches on opposite sides of the master bathroom. . .On the side near the bedroom is a single on/off switch that controls the main light. On the side near the family room is a 4x switch that controls: main light (just like the switch near the bedroom), the vanity light, the light over the shower, and the exhaust fan.

I really need to stay with just replacing switches and rewiring is not an option.

I would like to automate just the main light. I would like to replace the single switch near the bedroom with a switch with a built in motion detector.
    I may be wrong, but I do not recall seeing any switches with built-in motion sensors that will integrate with HS. In my setup, I've installed one (or more) motion sensors that are independent of the switch around the room and HS controls the switch, turning it one when motion is detected and off when motion has been undetected for a specified period of time.

On the other hand, if you are considering an autonomous motion sensing switch that does not link to HS (I have some of those too), then that will depend on the orientation of the switch relative to the door and the coverage it provides to detect motion throughout the room while avoiding false detections from people just outside the doorway.

But what abut the other switch on the opposite side of the room that controls the same light? Do I need to replace it as well?
    Yes, if you want to control the light from there. If you replace the main switch with an automated one, most manufacturers require a specific companion switch for their automated ones. On the other hand, you may be able to let the motion sensor act as the control. It may be that you don't need a second switch at all.

If so, are there any concerns about replacing my current switch with an accessory switch that also has 3 other switches (that I don't need to replace)?
    No. I have several multi-gang boxes with automated and conventional switches mixed together.

I imagine finding a face plate for the 4 switches (3 normal and one companion relay) that will suit my wife will be next to impossible.
    That depends on how difficult she is to please. Most automated switches are Decora style. The simplest approach, assuming the existing switches are not Decora style, is to replace the conventional switches with Decora switches. They are readily available and inexpensive. Then you can use a 4-gang Decora switch plate. (A bit harder to find, but Amazon has them if you can't find them locally.)
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Welcome to the journey - this has been a great place to gather information and share your experiences.
      Originally posted by sifuhall View Post
      So now I need to find a new place to install this, and order a switch that doesn't require a neutral wire.

Easy enough, but then I started thinking.

I would really like to be able to control the lights in my master bathroom as well.

Currently I have 2 sets of switches on opposite sides of the master bathroom (our master bathroom has 2 entrance doors on opposite sides of the room and one set of switches is near each).

On the side near the bedroom is a single on/off switch that controls the main light.
      What kind of lighting are you utilizing? Incandescent lighting is dimmable - there are a number of Z-Wave Dimmers that don't require a neutral(45606, VRI06-1L, VRI10-1L). CFL and Flourescent Bulbs require a Z-Wave Relay switch (neutral required)
      On the side near the family room is a 4x switch that controls: main light (just like the switch near the bedroom), the vanity light, the light over the shower, and the exhaust fan.

The Leviton 2-Wire Dimmers with the VP00R-10Z Companion Switch will do the job
      I would like to automate just the main light.
      Maybe use a switch that also has a built in motion detector.

I would like to replace the single switch near the bedroom with a switch with a built in motion detector.

But what abut the other switch on the opposite side of the room that controls the same light?

Do I need to replace it as well?

If so, can I use a companion relay switch? If so, are there any concerns about replacing my current switch with an accessory switch that also has 3 other switches (that I don't need to replace)?

Thanks for all the help.
      I use z-wave motion sensors through out my network to control the lighting on and off based on illumination and motion

What color are the face plates in your house there are several sources for the combinations that you will require.

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
        CFL and Flourescent Bulbs require a Z-Wave Relay switch (neutral required)
        fyi
        i use 3 ha20c's in my house and they are all attached to CFL bulbs and are not relay style..... there is a 3 second ramp up so takes a bit for the light to come on....
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Regarding the built in motion detectors I got a bit confused.

I was searching Amazon for z-wave switches (I get a nice Amazon discount with my job so that is usually my first place I look for anything) and while viewing a few z-wave wall switches I continued on to a few from the same company (Lutron?) that included motion detectors but they were not z-wave compatible).

I have ordered the Homeseer Pro, z-troller, 1 multi-sensor, 2 Leviton VRS05-1LZ, and 1 Leviton VP0SR-1LZ Companion Relay Switch (from here).

This will go with my existing lamp module (from GE), small appliance module (also from GE), wall switch (that I can't use as it requires a neutral wire), kwikset deadbolt, and sonos.

I'm really excited to get all this going.

Next up may be a thermostat...

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post

Yes, if you want to control the light from there. If you replace the main switch with an automated one, most manufacturers require a specific companion switch for their automated ones. On the other hand, you may be able to let the motion sensor act as the control. It may be that you don't need a second switch at all.
            This thread is very old, but I would like to ask uncle Michael, how do achieve controlling the light in a scenario like the one mentioned here?
            Hector
            MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
            X