Insteon + Powerline AV (Homeplug)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon + Powerline AV (Homeplug)

Has anybody here use Insteon along with Netgear Powerline AV (a Homeplug compatible system) for Ethernet over Power?

Unfortunately, due to the layout of my home, my router is situated in one corner of the house, making wifi coverage spotty at the opposite end. It is unfeasible due to the structure to wire CAT5; Powerline AV seems to be a potential solution, but I'm concerned about interference between it and my Insteon setup, even though they communicate under different frequencies. Has anybody here have any experience running both? Were there any issues?

This isn't exactly what you asked, but can you raise the router up higher, even a few feet, or add cables to the antenna(s) and extend them higher? There are also 180 degree coverage antennas or things like this

Paul
    Paul

Comment

Insteon and Home Plug will peacefully coexist with no problems at all.

I've done some very heavy testing on this one and no worries.

Comment

what through put do you get end to end on the powerline link?
        Paul

Comment

About 65 Mbps.

I have been considering using MoCA in different areas, as it is much stronger due to the shielded coaxial cable.

The only problem is they have different SKUs for DirecTV (DECA) and cable / antenna (MoCA).

Comment

That's a lot of bandwidth. Unless you're putting a data center on that side of your house, its a good solution.

Do you also have to buy an access point on the far end as well, to support the wireless clients or is that built in to one of the plug in modules?
            Paul

Comment

Wow, 65Mbps is better than I expected. I was hoping to be able to use it to stream 480p video, so this might just work out. Thanks!

Comment

The access point is a separate product.

Think of these as "Ethernet replacement".

Comment

Working...
                X