Leviton VRS05-1LZ & Companion wiring problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leviton VRS05-1LZ & Companion wiring problem

I am trying to install a Leviton VRS05-1LZ and the companion Leviton VP0SR-1LZ

This is in my mater bathroom that has wall switches on opposite sides of the room.

I installed the Leviton VRS05-1LZ yesterday just installing the wires in the same order and location of the existing switch. (2 black wires, 1 red wire, and 1 thin copper grounding wire).

It worked great.

Today I decided to install the companion switch.

I took off the old switch and installed the wires on the new switch in the same locations (2 black, 1 red, 1 thin copper grounding) but it didn't work.

In fact, neither switches worked.

Other electrical items did work so I know the issue is what I have done with the new switches.

I thought maybe I could have got the black wires flipped so I switched the black wires and still no luck. Neither switch works.

I decided to put my old switch back on until I could figure out what I did wrong, but even with my old switch in place neither switch works.

I've read the instructions and diagrams so many times but I really have trouble understanding it.

I know that I don't have a neutral wire, but what order should the wires be in the main switch and the companion?

What have I done wrong?

I tried switching the order of the black wires again on the original switch and it didn't work.

However, when I flipped the switch and then the switch I replaced yesterday the light did work, so I'm ok for now until I learn more about this.

My trouble is my wire colors never match the ones in the diagram.

My colors are black, black, and red. I can guess which black line is the load line as it (usually) is connected to the original switch by a screw with a different color.

Comment

The VP0SR-1LZ needs a neutral wire to work - you need the VP0SR-10Z Vizia RF + Z-Wave Companion Switch - No LED as it looks like you do not have a Neutral wire based on your description. Do you see a bundle of white wires in the back of the box?

Comment

I do have a bundle of white wires in the back of the box.

Comment

Turn off the Breaker for that switch - UnScrew the wirenut on the neutral bundle add a wire coming off the bundle and wire-nut the bundle again - if you have the Installation Manual for the matching remote start at Step 4C

Comment

Working...
          X