Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Modem ???

Hi,

I have been quite confused by the information in respect of which modem to get for use with HS and HSP2 for use in the UK.

I have had some useful help on these forums about the issue but I am still confused:-

I purchased a Zoom 3025 modem in the hope that since it had the correct chipset it might work.

Basically the fuctions I am after are:-

1)Automatically sensing if a local phone is off the hook and therefore commands can be made using the phone tones or by speaking them.

2) Caller ID

With regards these points :-

1) the HSP modem seem to have a special circuit to sense if a phone is off the hook and therefore in order to have this function I need to get a HSP modem which I have ordered.

2) I am told that the HSP modem does not support caller ID in the UK, I was however also told that my zoom modem does not support UK caller ID.

After some investigation and tweaking it appears though that the Zoom modem does infact support UK Caller ID. I just tested my one using AT+VCID=1 in the WINDOWS hyperterminal and incoming caller ID's are sent to my COM 5 port.

"
    ATZ
    OK
    AT+VCID=1
    OK

TYPE = 01
    DATE = 0102
    TIME = 1822
    NMBR = 077343*****

RING

"

I *'ed out my number but the point being it sent my mobile phone number to Com port 5

I am not an expert so I maybe wrong but it looks like quite a lot of modems support UK caller ID if correctly configured I looked at this site which helped http://www.talkingcallerid.com/CallerIDCapable.htm

Am I therefore correct in assuming that this modem if correctly configured could provide me with the caller ID information for HSP?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

I dont have HSphone, but I am in the process of fine tuning a UK caller ID script, since all I want is the caller ID function and I like a challenge! .

It certainly looks like your modem is CLID capable though the format of the data is different to what I get. see
    http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...3&m=3726081525

This must be down to the provider of the line, mine is NTL, I guess yours is BT.

I would be interested in any sample data you have, including for instance what you get when the number is withheld or unavailable

My modem is an old external Pace Solo, What is the exact model number of yours and where did you buy it from?

Kevin

Comment

Kevin,

I will have a go at withholding the number and let you know what it says. It maybe a bit later as I have to put in some quality time with the baby right now.

I am only new to HS, I'm still on my 30 days free trial while awaiting the software and hardware from the US so I'm not up to speed on it all.

It would be easier for people in the UK if they could use either a zoom modem or any Caller ID modem in conjuction with a HS phone modem rather than have to purchase another expensive bit of kit just to do Caller ID not to mention having to throw away a perfectly good modem.

Cheers,

David

Comment

Thanks, I look forward to seeing what you get.
        I regret that UK caller ID is very different to the US kind and that since Homeseer is a US product, it is a cross we have to bear and work around.

Jon00 has a set up which uses a modem ( I think the standard HSphone one) and a separate meteor device to do his CLID. He has had his troubles with this combination but I think I read it is working now. Try searching for his posts.

Kevin

Comment

Kevin,

I have tried withholding the number and the output from hyperterminal is as follows:-

"
          TYPE = 01
          DATE = 0102
          TIME = 1957
          NMBR = P
          NAME = WITHHELD

RING
          "

without withholding (ie sending the number)

"
          TYPE = 01
          DATE = 0102
          TIME = 1957
          NMBR = 07734******

RING
          "

I am on a BT line and I also have broadband on this line, I am running windows XP and the modem is a Zoom V.92 PCI Model 3025 which I purchased in PC World yesterday. It cost £39.99

I intialised the caller ID with AT+VCID=1 via hyperterminal from within windows.

If you need anyother information let me know.

Also let me know how you get on with the script as I will nodoubt be after some help with that also as I have not written any scripts or programming for a while.

Cheers,

David

Comment

Thats great
            I am sure we will 'talk' again
            Thanks

Kevin

Comment

Kevin,

The only thing that has crossed my mind is that the HSP modem has the same chipset as the Zoom I am interested to see if it can infact view UK caller ID.

Anyway good luck and talk to you soon.

Thanks,

David

Comment

Extremely unlikely I would have thought

Kevin

Comment

Bacon,

This is a post from Homeseer Technologies:

"I recently confirmed through tests that Gogs made that the PCI modem built for North American Caller-ID indeed does NOT work with the BT CID format.

To that end, it would be expensive for us to build another modem compatible with the UK CID format, but it may not be difficult to add support for a voice modem that already works there. I am almost 100% certain though that the local handset features (e.g. in-house interaction via the telephone) will not work as this is a special capability added in the HS PCI modem. If within the UK forum of this MB there is a concensus on a particular brand/model of modem that you would like us to investigate supporting for remote access, voicemail, and Caller-ID, then draw a concensus and send Rich or I an email and we will see about working with the manufacturer of it to get support in HSP for it.

As has already been stated, the Meteor device works but is apparently a costly solution, so another avenue would be for somebody to petition LetsAutomate or some other distributor to negotiate a lower price and organize a volume purchase amongst some of the UK users - there are quite a few of you!

We'll do our best to help get solutions to you.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
                  HomeSeer Technologies"

It was me who actually recommended the Zoom PCI 3025 modem on this board for UK users. When I purchased mine, I believe the box did say that it supported CID. However, it did not work out of the box to work with HSP2. As I already had a Meteor, I did not bother investigating things further.

So thanks to you, It looks like your detective work may help in getting more for your money if HST can incorporate this CID data as part of HSP2 (Rich/Rick take note!).

You still will not be able to do off hook control but it is one step closer.

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
                  Jon

Comment

Can you confirm tht you have a Homeseer Phone Modem and meteor working together to provide (almost?) the equivilant of what our american friends get out of the box?

Kevin

Comment

Yes it all works perfectly now - The problems in the past were due to a add-on PCI serial port card on my HS PC. This has now been replaced.

Off hook control is still not available but I would not use it anyway.

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html

[This message was edited by jon00 on Sat, 03 January 2004 at 09:12 AM.]
                      Jon

Comment

Jon00 and Kevin,

Thanks for your help, looks like you already have a handle on this for the future.

Here is a script I found on these forums which I have modified and now works for my Zoom modem:-

"
                        ' this is the startup script
                        ' it is run once when HomeSeer starts up
                        '
                        ' this is a good place to default status on some devices
                        '
                        sub main

' speak
                        hs.speak "Welcome to Home-Seer"
                        'hs.DebugMode = 1 ' log all script activity
                        'hs.DebugMode = 2 ' log all event activity
                        'hs.DebugMode = 4 ' log condition checks
                        'hs.DebugMode = 8 ' log status and value changes
                        'hs.DebugMode = 16 ' trace functions to file hstrace.log

' uncomment the following line to auto create devices for all your Napco zones
                        'hs.run "napco_init.txt"

dim result
                        result = hs.OpenComPort(5,"9600,N,8,1",1,"Davidcid.txt","") ' Open CID COM Port
                        if result <> "" then
                        hs.WriteLog "Error","Error opening COM port for Modem: "&result
                        else
                        'hs.waitsecs 2
                        hs.WriteLog "Init","Sending CID init string to Modem: "
                        hs.SendToComPort 5,"atz"&chr(13) 'reset modem
                        hs.SendToComPort 5,"at+vcid=1"&chr(13) 'enable caller ID
                        end if

end sub
                        "

Hope this helps someone all you have to do is go to Tools, Edit Startup Script and copy and Paste this in.

Now when I call HS reads out my phone number but I still have not got it to take a message yet.

Cheers,

David

PS I have not looked at a shut down script yet as I don't need to shut down com 5. or maybe I'm wrong?

Comment

David,

One thing that may be a sting in the tail is that HSP2 will take control of Com port 5 because it needs to use the modem for speech etc. I believe that you will not be able to use the above script because you will not have access to the port anymore. I may be wrong but I thought you should know.

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
                          Jon

Comment

jon00,

That explains why I can't leave messages.

OK I'll change the com port to 6 and fingers crossed it might work now?

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

David

Comment

Whatever com port you choose, both the script and HSP2 need access to the same port which the modem has been asigned to. The port will not be released by the script (who took control first) at any time.

As I said earlier, Homeseer technologies need to incorporate this CID info from the Zoom card via the HSP2 program.

If you now purchased a Homeseer modem, you could use that for the messages/off hook (since it is on a different port) and use the zoom as your CID data with the script.

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X