UK Modem ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David,

My zoom modem is used for all messaging functions of HSP2 and a Meteor device for CID. So yes it works for messages!!!

If I get time tomorrow, I will disable the Meteor to see if I am getting CID through.

Alex,

Why not try the port that your CM12 (X10) is connected to. Homeseer will just not find it so do not worry. You know that port works.

You can get a 2 serial port card from Maplin for around £30. I have just run out of serial ports (again) so I have just purchased a 4 port card from Dabs (part No 23ZJWS) for around £65.

BTW - you cannot go wrong with Homeseer - it must be the most flexible Home Automation package around - if you think of something - Homeseer and compatible hardware/software will do it!

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
    Jon

Comment

isn't it good to see so many UK users posting!

Kevin

Comment

jon00,

Could you let me know what your settings are within HS and windows iro you modem setup ie port no speed etc and also HS's options, sound setting etc.

I can't seem to get mine to work.

Thanks,

David

Comment

If you're using COM2 now and your UPS was using it are you sure that the UPS software is still not got hold of COM2 and keeping it open, therefore HS cannot also open it ?

You're only in Croydon, if you want I could always come around and take a look, it's only about a hour away!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by apc:
          Yes, my modem was originally on COM4 (which is a USB to Serial converter), then I tried it on COM2 (originally my UPS), and that's why I quote both COM2 and COM4. Although I have a COM1, it doesn't seem to function.

I have updated the scripts as Simon and Jon both advise, but with no alteration in the error.

I have rebooted, with nothing else running, and it still says 'Port already open'.

I'm thinking that it might be a fault with my Serial ports. I need another two as I have a UPS, X10 Interface, and Modem to plug in. I think I will go and buy a dual serial card (I don't think they are too expensive - are they?!) and then see what happens.

I must say that, although not fully functioning yet, the support from this message board far outweighs anything from AutoM8IT or Harmony - the other two I've had a look at. Thanks for the TV script as well Jon.

Alex.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Ah ha!

I bought a dual serial card from PC world for £15, and have now configured all the four serial ports on the server to work now - COM1, 2, 5 & 6.

My modem is now on COM2 and I still get the error 'Port already open'. HOWEVER! If I disable HSP from starting, but run the script for CID, I get the following in the log:
            <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>04/01/2004 16:22:38~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = OK
            04/01/2004 16:22:40~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = at#cid=1

04/01/2004 16:22:40~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = OK
            04/01/2004 16:22:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = ats0=0

04/01/2004 16:22:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = OK
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then, when the phone rings I get this:
            <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = RING
            04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = DATE = 0104
            04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = TIME = 1623
            04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = NMBR = 020********
            04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID info~!~Call from 020******** at 16:23:42 on 04 January 2004
            04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~Error~!~Script error in file: simoncid.txt: 424:Object required: '' in line 42
            04/01/2004 16:23:44~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = RING
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's obviously HSP that has the port open when it starts up. I'll see what line 42 is and correct that. Perhaps I should just take out the test to see if the port is open?

Alex.

Comment

It all works perfectly now! Thanks for everyone's help.

I had HSP set as the same COM port as HS, and that was where the conflict was. I have put 'None' in 'modem' in HSP and everything is now working with the updated script from Simon.

Now for the next bit...

Comment

apc
                Do you have HSP set to use the same modem for answering calls ? If so then this is what is causing the modem to already be in use.

The script your using was only intended to use the modem for caller id, as I have a Homeseer modem which actually answers the phone etc in HSP.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by apc:
                Ah ha!

I bought a dual serial card from PC world for £15, and have now configured all the four serial ports on the server to work now - COM1, 2, 5 & 6.

My modem is now on COM2 and I still get the error 'Port already open'. HOWEVER! If I disable HSP from starting, but run the script for CID, I get the following in the log:
                <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>04/01/2004 16:22:38~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = OK
                04/01/2004 16:22:40~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = at#cid=1

04/01/2004 16:22:40~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = OK
                04/01/2004 16:22:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = ats0=0

04/01/2004 16:22:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = OK
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then, when the phone rings I get this:
                <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = RING
                04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = DATE = 0104
                04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = TIME = 1623
                04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = NMBR = 020********
                04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~CID info~!~Call from 020******** at 16:23:42 on 04 January 2004
                04/01/2004 16:23:42~!~Error~!~Script error in file: simoncid.txt: 424:Object required: '' in line 42
                04/01/2004 16:23:44~!~CID~!~Incoming Data = RING
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's obviously HSP that has the port open when it starts up. I'll see what line 42 is and correct that. Perhaps I should just take out the test to see if the port is open?

Alex.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Ok - I've just broken my HSP2

Not sure what I have done but one thing is certain, CID works through the Zoom PCI card WITHOUT the Meteor directly with HSP2. It never used to! It happily announces the CID.

One slight problem now - no audio in either direction. No messages heard, silent recordings.......here we go again.

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
                  Jon

Comment

It's in your nature Jon to find these bugs out?!!

How's 'bout a little British TV ?

JustOneMore
                    http://www.justonemore.us
                    FreeWorldDialup desktop# 25831, PPC# 26420

Comment

Happy New Year to you all.

As Rich has pointed out and Jon00 reposted the message, HSM will not support UK caller ID. Rich did not rule out it ever doing so. Personally I think that considering the intersest in HSM in the UK HS should look at this small problem, and ad the odd comment now and again in this forum as to the official view. I don't think that would go amis.

Anyway, shortly before christmas I received delivery of a cheap UK caller Id unit that interfaces with the comp. through the serial port. Actually it was not that cheap £60. Rick believes that it will interface with HSP and allow HSM to run all it's capabilities.

I have not yet had a chance to test it with HSP, stand alone it it brilliant.

I'll test it with HSP and HSM in the next couple of weeks, however, I see this as only a short term solution. Rich and Rick you must address the problem with HSM in the UK. As you know from a previouse e-mail you have a distributer waiting.

Gogs.
                      sigpic
                      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Thanks to all your work, it looks like here in the UK we may have a "Prefered Modem of Choice". I'm off to PC World to buy a Zoom V.92 PCI Model 3025.

JonOO, now that you have CID working through the modem, does this mean that you are simplyfying your configuration to get rid of the meteor unit? Is there still a requirement for the Meteor?

Thanks All...

Comment

Phill,

At the moment, my HSP2 config is broken and I haven't had the time to look at the problem. All I can say is that I disconnected the Meteor and unticked the 'ignore CID from device' and CID was still announced. I did a software update to the latest HSP2 and everything stopped working

Jon

www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
                          Jon

Comment

I'm trying to improve the WAF on this. When there's a call in progress I'd like to be able to Mute the music on the media player if its playing.

My question is this, how can I use the modem to determine when the phone is ON or OFF hook?

Thanks.

Phill

Comment

Anyone know of a cheap external modem - for those of us who have laptops - that would work with caller ID in thje UK

-rll

Comment

Working...
                              X