need hard-wired security to homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need hard-wired security to homeseer

We just bought a house with an OLD security system in it that needs upgraded. I want to use the existing sensors (door and motion), but be able to fully control the system from Homeseer (including turning on and off). Also, I'd like it to be connected to an auto-dialer (not monitored). Any recommendations?

TechGuy,
    Welcome to the HS bb. Try the Find link above. This topic has been covered many many times and there is a plethora of information available.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

In a nutshell, security system sensors are pretty much a defacto or in some cases real standard, and so you will be able to use the existing sensors with any new system.

If you go with HAI/OnQ, Napco, or Caddx which all have some sort of interface to HomeSeer, you will be good to go. Deciding which is the hard part - find out which systems have the features you want, which ones have the HomeSeer plug-in with features you want, and work your way into it from there.

If you do not already own HomeSeer, you can get some bundled solutions from some of our resellers.
      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I purchased a Caddx NX8E and have it interfaced with Homeseer via Nitrox's plugin. The system works great. Programming the Caddx can be a little tricky.

But, if I had to do it all over again I would check out the new Elk M1 Gold system. (Note that this is a new product and does not have a Homeseer interface ... yet).
        --------------------------------------------------
        **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

How can I tell which parts of the alarm are supported by Homeseer? (I guess that's what you mean?)

The NX8E looks really affordable... for example: http://homesecuritystore.com/detail_pages/nx8e.htm (If I'm not allowed to post links please remove and forgive!)

What all would I need to get this hooked up? At least one keypad, I'd guess. Power supply? Special interface cables? Can I hook this up to a cheap voice dialer?

I'm still open to any other recommendations, too... although I'd like something that's already supported.

Thanks!!

Comment

Hi TechGuy:

Sorry I was not more clear.

The Caddx system is a good system. A lot of users here have this system and have it interfaced with Homeseer. One strong advantage of the Caddx is that Nitrox supports a plugin that interfaces Homeseer to it and it is excellent!! AND he does this for FREE!! (as in ZERO dollars)!! You can get a LOT more information on Caddx and this plugin in this forum. Also, the guys there are very knowledgable also.

Most of them will recommend the NX8E starter kit. Worthingtons sells it, can't remember the price but it includes an NX8E board, 12-volt battery backup, metal locking housing, motion sensor, power supply (wall wart), siren, and LCD keypad. I would also recommend getting the 16-zone expander kit and maybe some more keypads. You can also get cheaper (non-LCD) keypads if you don't want to pay for the LCD one. The NX8E system also has a dial out capability for an alarm system monitoring service (not sure this is what you were asking).

You may also want to install additional motion sensors and glass break sensors as well. Some people also purchase smoke (fire) detectors for their systems. Just remember to watch your total current draw on the 12 volt supply when you purchase these additional sensors. If you exceed it, you may need to purchase an additional supply.

I really do like the interface to Homeseer with this Caddx system. I have Homeseer announce windows and doors open and closed (via AT&T voices). The plugin monitors pretty much all aspects of the Caddx system. The latest plugin even supports scripting so you can do a lot of advanced logic features with it that tie into Homeseer. I also use Main Lobby to monitor my windows, doors, motion sensor's status.

The only reason I mention the Elk M1 Gold system is that it is brand new and seems to have a lot of very cool features such as voice announcements and automation controls. It seems to me like its sort of an Ocelot and Security sytem rolled into one.

Media Storm is also looking into this system and he frequents that Caddx Plugin forum a lot. Maybe he will also see this post and chime in here. His opinion will be VERY valuable because he presently owns a Caddx system. I don't know if he received his Elk M1 Gold system yet. (Sorry Media Storm if I put you on the spot here).

I believe that this Elk M1 Gold system will become very popular and its just a matter of time until someone writes a Homeseer plugin to it.

Also, if you are going to use your old door and window sensors you will want to check them out before you hook any system to them. You may want to see this "How-to" to give you some ideas on how to test these sensors.

Well this turned out to be a long post. Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

BSR

Comment

Wow, thanks for the long reply! Your How-To looks great, too. I'll have to read through it, but what do I need to worry about with the existing sensors (resistors, etc)?

Does the NX8E come with a built-in wireless receiver for keychains, wireless sensors, etc or is that an option?

As for the dial-out, I was thinking more of a voice dialer where I can select who to call and it will play a pre-recorded message. I have monitoring for the alarms at my current home and office and I'm not convinced that their operators are any smarter than what a recording would be.

PS. Where is Worthingtons?

Comment

This might be the kit you were talking about: http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Sec...em/NX-8E-FP-8/

Comment

Here is Worthington's Website. That website is a little hard to use so best just to download their catalog and search for the Caddx NX8E Starter kit.

You should check the integrity of your existing sensors using the tests described in that How-to guide. I'm sure they are all OK, but this would not take long to do some quick tests. You certainly don't want to trouble shoot bad sensors while trying to get a brand new system working.

Another great site to check out is Martins Automated Outlet. He has a great web-site and frequents this and the Cocoontech forums.

As far as your voice dialer, I'm going to let another forum member answer that question. I believe you can do this with Homeseer phone, but I don't use that product and feel I should not risk giving you incorrect advice.

There are Caddx wireless products, but again, I do not use any of those products as well, therefore I am not familar with them. I would post that question over at the Caddx forum I mentioned in my above posts.

Regards,

BSR

Comment

I am not sure why they have not directed their old website to the new one, but try this link for Worthington.
                    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Rick:

That new site seems to just be set up for dealers right now. When you click on "Store" then "Consumer Store" it takes you right back to the original web site.

Man, I hope Worthington's does indeed revamp their website for the average consumer in the near future!

Comment

Guess my questions were a little too difficult.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...62&m=693109785

Comment

TechGuy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Guess my questions were a little too difficult.
                          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                          So let me get this straight:

You posted those questions on <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> posted Wed, 16 June 2004 06:18 AM <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> and only let 26 hours go by and then complain of the lack of a response? (Plus, this web site seems to be experiencing some technical difficulites with the "Find, New Since Your Last Visit" option, which a lot of us use to monitor any new posts).

I responded to that thread and answered all your questions except the wireless one.

No offense, but I hope you have a little more patience solving technical problems than you do waiting for replies to your posts, this Caddx system is not all that intuitive and takes a bit of time to understand all of its programming features.

Regards,

BSR

Comment

Working...
                          X