DS7000 Security System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS7000 Security System

I am thinking of buying the DS7000 security system for my home. I wonder if any of you have bought and happy with that system? or do I have to invest in a better system like the one from Smarthome.com?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi Jeff,

As far as the DS7000 goes, for the money, you can't touch it. I ship out a ton of them because we sell it at 1/2 of what Fry's or Radio Shack charge for the identical system.

Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. It is an x10 system. If you need bulletproof reilability, this is not the system for you. In that case you really should get a wired system.

2. This system only can handle up to 16 zones.

On the plus side,

1. Dirt cheap.

2. Will dial out up to 4 different phone numbers and even allow you to listen in.

3. It will send out the alarm on an x10 signal so HS could pick it up as well

In summary, If budget is the main concern, this is a very good system for the money. It is also good if you need it to be wireless.

In my house, I have a wired system and 2 separate DS7000 systems. I have two because they are one opposite sides of my pretty long house to give extra protection to certain areas. Probably overkill since we don't even lock the house when we leave!

If your house is already wired for security, you probably want to take a look at a wired system.

One question for other members of this board - what happens to the security devices if you have them reporting to the DS7000 AND have a W800RF32 installed?

I'm not sure of this answer. Right now I'm using the V572 not the W800RF32 because of an issue with the location of my HS server. This will be resolved in a couple of weeks.

Martin Custer
    Martin@AutomatedOutlet.com
    www.AutomatedOutlet.com
    Authorized HomeSeer Distributor
    Martin Custer

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Automated Outlet:
      One question for other members of this board - what happens to the security devices if you have them reporting to the DS7000 AND have a W800RF32 installed?

I'm not sure of this answer. Right now I'm using the V572 not the W800RF32 because of an issue with the location of my HS server. This will be resolved in a couple of weeks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used both for a while and they work well together. Once I got some issues with HSPhone worked-out and a UPS for my PC, I took the DS7000 panel down and use the W800 exclusively. The only issues I had with the DS7000 were range issues. The W800 would see all the sensors, but the DS7000 would occasionally miss them, this lowers WAF considerably when she's trying to arm the system and the DS7000 keeps beeping telling here there's something wrong.

I had bought all the stuff to try the MR26A "+" antenna mod on the DS7000, but never got around to do it (although I heard the same antenna can be used with the W800 to get really killer range).

Bottom line is the DS7000 and W800 work fine together. The issues I had were most likely due to the plethora of rebar in my apartment.

John | My HomeSeer | HomeSeer Webring | See My Profile for system configuration
      John
      Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
      Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
      HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
      Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Hi,

I have recently been upgrading my home with x10 lighting and am interested in adding a security system that I can control remotely via internet/phone. However, I still have questions regarding which product is best for me. My home was just completed last February and came prewired for a home security system that I never installed. I know where the security cabinet and control keypad boxes are suppose to be and even have photographs of the home showing the wiring before the sheet rock was installed. I am not interested in paying a monitoring company; I want the system to call me/friends/neighbors if there is a problem. I am hoping that HomeSeer software will be able to help me monitor it, which is one reason I am on this message board.

Should I go with a hardwired system since I have the existing wires. I will probably have to hire someone though since it is probably beyond me to do. If I got the components, they should be able to do it much cheaper by using the existing wires, right? I guess the other option would be an X10 system discussed in this thread. Either way, I do not plan on paying a monitoring service. I want the system to contact me/friends/neighboors and would like to also be able to check the status of the home remotely via phone/internet (I have a cable modem).

Thanks for any advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Automated Outlet:
        Hi Jeff,

As far as the DS7000 goes, for the money, you can't touch it. I ship out a ton of them because we sell it at 1/2 of what Fry's or Radio Shack charge for the identical system.

1. It is an x10 system. If you need bulletproof reilability, this is not the system for you. In that case you really should get a wired system.

On the plus side,

1. Dirt cheap.

2. Will dial out up to 4 different phone numbers and even allow you to listen in.

In summary, If budget is the main concern, this is a very good system for the money. It is also good if you need it to be wireless.

In my house, I have a wired system and 2 separate DS7000 systems. I have two because they are one opposite sides of my pretty long house to give extra protection to certain areas. Probably overkill since we don't even lock the house when we leave!

If your house is already wired for security, you probably want to take a look at a wired system.

I'm not sure of this answer. Right now I'm using the V572 not the W800RF32 because of an issue with the location of my HS server. This will be resolved in a couple of weeks.

Martin Custer
        http://www.AutomatedOutlet.com
        Authorized HomeSeer Distributor<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Since you have the hard wires in already, I would go with a hardwired system. It's much more reliable and each of the sensors will be much cheaper (if they already aren't in).

Check the other sections of this message board. There are a lot of threads about the pros and cons of various hardwired systems.

Martin Custer
          www.AutomatedOutlet.com
          Authorized HomeSeer Distributor
          Martin Custer

Comment

hi, how many digits can be used when programming the call out phone numbers on a DS7000 system?

thanks

Hi Jeff,

On the plus side,

1. Dirt cheap.

Martin Custer
            http://www.AutomatedOutlet.com
            Authorized HomeSeer Distributor <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Hard wired systems are definately more reliable. If you want an alternative to the DS7000 then take a look at the Visonic PowerMax system. This uses wireless technology, and has the added bonus of being able to control X10 devices. It is also compatible with certain central monitoring stations. It can phone you or you can phone it. And it supports a wired zone in additon to the 29 wireless.
              Their website is Visonic

Comment

Not sure if there's a limit on the number of digits a DS7000 can dial. I usually program in 10 digits for the numbers.
                Martin Custer

Comment

Working...
                X