Security system - can do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security system - can do?

I am not interested in automating my home. I am, however, interested in setting up a security system that will send EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS to a predefined email address in the case of:

1) Smoke alarm signal

2) Water leakage

3) Motion detection

4) Glass breakage

Currently I have a wireless system (not X-10) that dials out a VOICE message over a regular telephone line. However, I also want an email to be sent, and the current system does not allow for such an option.

I have an always on cable modem connection, and numerous PCs on a home LAN.

What can the Homeseer do for me in regards to this matter?

Thanks.

HomeSeer and any one of the security panel plug-ins (Napco Gemini, HAI Omni, OnQ HMS, or Caddux - did I miss any?) can accomplish what you want.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
    HomeSeer Technologies
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Works like a champ. Most any device on your security panel can be interfaced with HS. Heck, you could have your toaster turn on when you open your living room window and then send a message to you on your cell phone.
      HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

I don't have a "security panel". What is a "security panel"? My security system consists of wireless "detectors" that send a signal to a numeric dialer, connected to a telephone outlet.

Comment

I didn't read your post as well as I should have. To interface HS to your security system typically you need a RS232 compatible interface. There may be other ways though. The panel/cabinet is a metal box that holds the brains of your security system usually in a closet somewhere. Sounds like you have a "all in one" setup that may not do that. What kind of system do you have? You can email me if you don't want to post it.

thymer
          HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

I am using the SkyLink security system sold by Smarthome.com

See http://www.smarthome.com/7307accs.html

Comment

I don't think that system has a interface for HS to connect to.

Comment

Is there a brand name and model number(s) on the front or back of the units? It does say on the web site that it is NOT X-10 compatible. The only way to connect it to HS would be through a serial port or perhaps a contact closure if the main unit had one.

- Gordon

"It said Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux..."
                |
                | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Gordon,

The brand name is SKYLINK. Here is their web site: http://www.sky-link.us/

...and product page: http://www.sky-link.us/complete_systems.htm

Comment

Sorry to have taken so long to get back here...

Only thing I can see would be to somehow hack into the siren circuit and detect when it goes off, or perhaps use the dialer in the same manner. Doesn't seem to have any serial port or contact closures for external alarm, etc., but maybe a call to the company would clear it up? If it had a relay output or set of contacts to connect it to another alarm, you might be able to use those on a pwerflash module and get an X-10 signal into HS, or connect to an Ocelot, etc.

- Gordon

"It said Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux..."
                    |
                    | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                    HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Can you hook this into HomeSeer? Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilipK:
                      I am using the SkyLink security system sold by Smarthome.com

See http://www.smarthome.com/7307accs.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Working...
                      X