Landscape Lighting LED Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23rd of June, 2019

Did a test of the new LED lamps last night.

This will be hidden / recessed inside of the top rail facing down.

Current deck lamps using .25 watt warm white 12 Volt LED bulbs with these 1/2 dome style lamps which were converted from using 7 watt bi-pin to .25 LED bi-pin lamps.

Personally have not dented these. Helped a neighbor install them and today they many all dented from moving deck furniture around.

Got a bulk buy deal on these years ago. I am not sure what the prices are today. I do not like the new ones that are all in one with LEDs as I would not know how to replace them should they go bad other than replacing the whole lamp fixture. I have not replaced the bi-pin LED lamps to date (years working just fine in the winter and summer here).

New methodology for this lighting will be indirect lighting between the two top boards under the railing about 1" high so that it lights up the deck floor indirectly.

Tested this last night and it looks good. These are 3 LED bulbs embedded in a sort of epoxy made for outdoors and less than a watt per set of 3 warm white lamps.

Here is a drawing. Note here you do not see the LED bulbs as they will be recessed about 1" up. Facing down like this illuminates the floor of the deck more than anything and you do not see them.

Note this is a bit of over engineering these lamps. I already have a LV run of 16 guage wire hidden three on the top of the rails.

Click image for larger version  Name:	newLEDDeck.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	1312092

Click image for larger version  Name:	newdeckledlamps.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	1312091
    Spacing these via night time illumination footprint (4-5 feet on either side in test mode) at 100% brightness.

These will be dimmable and remote controllable via MQTT and a modded Magic home controller.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Sorry for the necro-post, but I'm not sure the best place to post my question.

I put up some new deck railing this summer and have moved onto my lighting aspect of it. I had the foresight to pull some wire through the railings, and was planning on putting some post lights up, not ropes or anything undermounted.

In a perfect world I'd like something I could control and change color through Homeseer. I've looked all over the interweb and here and can't find much. Anybody done anything similar?

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I built a new deck with railings and fortunately the manufacturer made a cutout on the underside of the railing that this LED fit just fine. Even though they're waterproof the connectors couldn't stand up to the salt air since I'm on a salt water canal. These are connected to a a-wave Qubino RGBW dimmer that works perfectly. I just need to figure out how to make better connections between sections of lights.

Comment

Maybe soldering the connections would work.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete difficult to say the least. Five tiny connections (at each end) that are sealed almost to the end by the clear silicone type material that makes the ribbon waterproof. Difficult but not impossible. Though I'm not sure I have the patience.

Comment

Then maybe seal the connectors with silicone caulk or wrap used for telco outdoor connections.

IE: Amazon - Weatherproof Self-Fusing Silicone Rubber Sealing Tape For Outdoor Antenna Coax & Electrical Cables,

Here no salty air I soldered the wires and then used heat shrink tubing.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I like the rope/strip idea. But I was looking for something that mounts to the post itself. Something like these

Click image for larger version

Name:	90a15071-c779-4a9f-a565-56363f7e9e91.423055f696c036c4d17f14ad23de511c.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1493145

But hard-wired and color changing? Like a Hue or LIFX inside a post mounted housing?

I'm guessing not a thing exists, but I thought i'd ask anyways.
                Attached Files

Comment

Personally like Kichler LED lighting. That said you could retrofit the lamp inside. List prices for Kichler LED lighting are really high.

I have purchased a few outdoor Kichler lamps on Ebay at a discount (new old stock or used). Some today are over 20 years old and still look like new (brass and glass old lighting converted to LED).

I have some old Patriot walk lights outside. This were 12VAC lamps converted to 12VDC LED lamps. These are all glass and aluminum. The bulb in these is shielded with a glass cover. These are now over 20 years old. I purchased them on sale at a big box store here in the midwest at the end of the season sales.

Here are a couple of Kichler LED Deck posts lamps that you maybe could modify...

eBay item number: 185028580097

Lot of 2. Kichler LED deck post light 12 volt 3W low voltage
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I don't want to read all 11 pages of this discussion, so I don't know if it's already been mentioned: I use LED landscape and stairstep lighting from Volt Lighting. Their prices are lower than Kichler (last I checked), and the quality is excellent. They are truly waterproof, and as they are designed from scratch to be LED lights, no conversion from halogen is needed.

https://www.voltlighting.com/

Comment

I use VOLT lighting as well. Very solid gear, solid brass, installed here for over 10 years with no issues. Prices are good and currently they are shipping for free. I also like their transformer designs which give outputs for varying voltages so you can accommodate long wire runs. And mine are set up with an Insteon on/off model inside the transformer casing for control. Fits perfectly in their design.

Comment

Working...
                      X