Bathroom lighting event issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom lighting event issue

Well here it goes, I would like to put in a zwave switch in my visitor bathroom that turns on the ligth when when they enter and then have it turned off after they exit the room. I think this can be achieve by the door opening and then closing or maybe a motion sensor, but what can I do if my visitors take a shower? How can I let HS know that there is still someone in the bathroom taking a shower?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
    Well here it goes, I would like to put in a zwave switch in my visitor bathroom that turns on the ligth when when they enter and then have it turned off after they exit the room. I think this can be achieve by the door opening and then closing or maybe a motion sensor, but what can I do if my visitors take a shower? How can I let HS know that there is still someone in the bathroom taking a shower?
    Sense water flow to the bathroom as that also covers the all the water consumption devices in the facilities. You could also sense humidity increase to turn on the fan, and wait for it to drop close to what it is in another nearby room. There are a few forum threads on the subject.
    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Hector

If you use a motion sensor chances are it will keep activating while they are in there. Either
      1) program the motion sensor to wait for 5 - 10 minutes before sending the "off" command, or
      2) ignore the "offs" altogether and use the delay function of events with the "remove delayed device" feature. Below is one I use for my premise lights and floodlights, it would be similar to this. I trigger this event from one of several motion sensors

Paul
      Attached Files
      Paul

Comment

I had tried the humidity trick in itself, but ended up with a second motion sensor in the shower as well as the one in the room itself.
        So Motion sensor #1, turns on the light. #2 turns on the exhaust fan in the shower. Both must be off to turn off the lights. I still use humidity to turn off the fan.
        Note on this: You may have to convince visitors the motion sensor isn't actually a camera.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Put a cheap X10 motion sensor in the shower above the showerhead on the wall !

I use this one to turn on the shower light and the shower fan and leave the fan running for 10 minutes after no motion.

Works great for me.........double sided tape so no holes to drill.....
          Neil
          Newmarket Ontario

Comment

I use a security contact in the door to sense when any of the bathrooms are in use. it keeps things simple. I don't care what they're doing in there, if the door is closed they get lights and fan and a little music.
            Marty
            ------
            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
            Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I put a motion sensor in the shower in my house. I have HS count 3 triggers. If in 2 minutes, It gets 3 triggers, HS assumes someone is in the shower. The 2 minute counter is reset at each trigger of the motion sensor.

Otherwise, at the end of 5 minutes, the counters are reset. (this case is useful if someone was grabbing something out of the shower)

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                I use a security contact in the door to sense when any of the bathrooms are in use. it keeps things simple. I don't care what they're doing in there, if the door is closed they get lights and fan and a little music.
                But how do you turn the ligth off? How does HS knows when nobody there?
                Hector
                AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I use a net camera with motion detection...................just kidding.
                  Actually use x10 motion sensors and they work quite well. I have one pointing out the door that turns the light on if you get near the doorway. That light is set enough to find your way into the bathroom. Once in another sensor brings the light level up to a brighter level. Also have a sensor in the shower that keeps the light on and sets the caller id announcements to a louder level.
                  John

Comment

But how do you turn the ligth off? How does HS knows when nobody there?
                    When the door is open again. Here we don't close bathroom doors unless there is someone in there.
                    Marty
                    ------
                    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

When the door is open again. Here we don't close bathroom doors unless there is someone in there.
                      So you telling me that when you reopen the door to leave, that shuts off the ligth? still dont understand, HS sees a "on" from the ds10, to turn on the ligth, but when you reopen doesn't that give a "on" signal to HS?
                      Hector
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

So you telling me that when you reopen the door to leave, that shuts off the ligth? still dont understand, HS sees a "on" from the ds10, to turn on the ligth, but when you reopen doesn't that give a "on" signal to HS?
                        I don't use a DS10, I use a dry security contact in the door montiored in one bathroom with UPB in/out module and in the others with the same contact monitored by an unused security zone. So if the door is closed the device shows ON and triggers the event to turn things on. When the door is open the device shows OFF and the event that turns things off is triggered.
                        Marty
                        ------

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                          I put a motion sensor in the shower in my house. I have HS count 3 triggers. If in 2 minutes, It gets 3 triggers, HS assumes someone is in the shower. The 2 minute counter is reset at each trigger of the motion sensor.

Otherwise, at the end of 5 minutes, the counters are reset. (this case is useful if someone was grabbing something out of the shower)

--Dan
                          Dan, I assuming you're using a script to do this? If so, would you mind posting it? I'd like to take a look.

Cheers,
                          M

Comment

I don't use a DS10, I use a dry security contact in the door montiored in one bathroom with UPB in/out module and in the others with the same contact monitored by an unused security zone. So if the door is closed the device shows ON and triggers the event to turn things on. When the door is open the device shows OFF and the event that turns things off is triggered.
                            But what happens if they leave the door open after they leave? How does it shut off?
                            Hector
                            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                              Note on this: You may have to convince visitors the motion sensor isn't actually a camera.
                              This is very true,that why I wouldn't like to put a motion sensor in the shower.
                              Hector
                              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
                              X