Setting up e-mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up e-mail

I've just started with HS and some lamp modules. Thermostat to go in on Friday. Plan to control thermostat remotely (weekend house). No problems with testing so far, turning lights on and off. Setting up devices and events. Next step is having HS check e-mail to trigger events (like warming up the house). Have HS set up now to check e-mail every 60 minutes, but keep getting the following error: receiving e-mail. destination address required. I've played around with the MAPI and SMTP settings (to be honest, I don't know what these mean). Can someone please guide me to let me know how I can configure the e-mail to use a dial in connection to check a specific e-mail address (I have set up a new account soley for HS)? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sgarman

Try the following information

MAPI login issues

Comment

Okay. So I found that I have Outlook Express on my computer. But I don't normally use that application for e-mail. I have never set it up. The link you provided shows that I should check the profiles found in Outlook and enter the profile string in the text box in the Homeseer e-mail options. I have a plain jane dial in connection to get to the internet. I then launch Microsoft Explorer. The computers make fine handshake and then I start using either Google or Yahoo to check e-mail. As you can see I am not that sophisticated. But the need to include Outlook or Outlook Express in this mixture is a bit beyond me. Is there something more that I need to do? I don't think that Outlook express is active on my computer. Do I need to get that set up first or is there another way to get Homeseer to use the connection that I set up for it using Connection Manager?

Comment

What email are you wanting to check and we can go from there.

-Rupp
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have set up an e-mail account for Homeseer (e.g. house@domain.net). I want to be able to send e-mails from another account (e.g. smgarman@domain.net) to the house e-mail account. Hourly, I would like to have Homeseer check its e-mail account for instructions in the subject line. The goal here is to be able to get the lights to go on or off or to warm up the house before we get here for the weekend. I've looked through the Homeseer documentation, especially 14.3 on EMAIL setup. I'm not much of a computer whiz, but the involvement of Outlook and MAPI and SMTP have me a bit confused.

Comment

This is how I have email setup with HS. I use outlook express. I have it automatically start up when the PC starts and I have it collapsed to the task bar so it's out of the way but it always runs. My ISP has pop3 access as do most ISP's. If you go to you ISP's email pages they normally list the incoming mail pop3 server address as well as the out going mail SMTP address. It will be something like pop.netzero.net. See if you can get these 2 addresses and We can guide you to set up outlook.

-Rupp

Comment

Okay! I've got the addresses from my ISP's web site. Where do I go from here?

SMGarman

Comment

On Outlook express select the path Tools > Accounts. Select Add > Mail. Key in any name you desire > Key in you email address > Next enter the addresses for your pop3 and smtp. Next key in you user name and password to access your pop3 account. After doing this you should select tools > accounts and then select the account you just set up. Select properties. Select the advanced tab. Select leave copy of message on the server (if you want to keep you mail on your ISP's server). Lastly select tools > options. On the general tab set the check for new messages every X minutes. I use 5 minutes.

Next select send and receive at the top of OE. You should see new mail if any exists on the server. Let me know when you get this done and we'll get HS set up to use it.

-Rupp

Comment

Rupp-

Sorry this has taken so long. Turns out I have been downloading a more recent version of internet explorer and outlook express. Have now loaded in the information you said to do and have gotten things set up. If you are still on-line, then I am ready for the next part... Thanks for your patience and assitance.

Sgarman

Comment

So your getting mail delivered to OE?

Goto View > Optons > Email tab.

Check the option Check for email every X minutes. I have this set to 5 minutes as well. This way when OE express checks HS will check at arounf the same time.

Check the "Use MAPI to handle email"

You can go aead and key in an email address in the "Email notifications are sent t this address" Thats all there is to it. The mapi login information is left blank.

-Rupp

Comment

Hey Rupp--

Can't thank you enough. Seems like I have got the right connection between Homeseer and Outlook Express. The test e-mail I sent to the House account was picked up by OE. Also, HS says that the mail log-on was successful. I've set the checking time to every 15 minutes for both OE and HS and will send a few e-mails to turn lights on and off as tests to make sure that things HS will act on the commands in the subject line. I need to be sure that the dial-in happens automatically without any intervention on my part. Being out here the boondocks I'm stuck with dial in, but so far it seems like it has worked. Again, thanks for your help--couldn't have done it without you.

SMGarman

Comment

If you have any other questions don't be hesitant.

-Rupp

Comment

Hi Rupp:

Not being hesitant, I've got another question or two. Once I finally got the e-mails to be picked up and actioned by Homeseer, I started running a few tests. I sent an e-mail turning the main lights off. This worked. Then I sent another one turning them back on. This also worked. Then I have a scheduled event for 10:30 p.m. turning the lights off for the evening. This also happened according to plan, but then just as soon as the lights went off, they turned on again. Crazy. Now my question is related to the e-mail messages left in the account at the ISP as well as the copies found on Outlook Express. I suspect that Homeseer checked e-mail as instructed every 15 minutes and found that an old e-mail--the one saying to turn the the lights on--and acted on it after the scheduled event to turn the lights off. What do you think? Can I configure Homeseer or Outlook Express to delete old e-mails after a period of time or to mark them as read and actioned so that they are not executed more than once?

Second question. So the dialing up and checking of e-mail works well. I set it to every hour. Fine, but I'd like to sometime be able to log on remotely (from work) and see the status of the devices at the house. The dial up to check the e-mail is really brief, so the odds of being able to log on and view everything remotely are quite small. Is there a way to configure HS to log on and be available for a 20 minute period twice a day--morning and evening, so I can view everything? If so, how would I go about it and how could I know what "website" I would have to type in.

Thanks a lot,

SMGarman

Comment

The email still exists on your server so HS thinks it still getting new mail. I would change the option where it leaves a copy of the message on the server. That should take care of that.

As far as autologin. Create a new event and have a look at the Dial-Up connection tab. You can create an event absolute time/date trigger and then select the dial up account you want to connect to. You could then set up another event to Disconnect existing connection 20 minutes later using the option at the bottom of the Dial-up tab.

-Rupp

Comment

Rupp--

That sounds pretty easy. Will give it a try on Friday when I am back at the house. Last question--how do I find the address to type in to access the website?

Thanks,

SMGarman

Comment

Working...
                              X