Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about RR501 and TM751 transceivers

Greetings All !

I just need a bit of clarification as to how TM751's and RR501's work.

I currently have one of each.

From gleaning these forums, I have learned that:

RR501 = X10 +RF capable
    TM751 = RF only

Do these transceivers forward on / rebroadcast ALL house/unit codes they receive ?

Or do they just receive / forward the ones for the house code you've set the little switch on them to?

I'm guessing it's the latter, which would explain why everybody loves the MR26A's.

I've got one of those and I'm working on extending its range now.

Thanks!

just the latter - and that is one of their downfalls. I believe that the material difference between the 2 is that that RR501 provides an appliance outlet, while the TM751 has only a lamp outlet. They both are designed to take RF and put it on the powerline - only on the single code "dialed" in.

Comment

I have both as well, but was still a little confused as to the differences. So I pulled out the schematics, pulled the suckers apart and put this list together (mainly for my own piece-of-mind):

Similarities:
      As Jeff said, they both receive RF on only one selected housecode, and re-transmit it on the powerline. They both contain an appliance module on a two-prong outlet (no ground pin). They both have a 12" antenna. They both have a button, labeled "on/off", that can toggle the appliance module. Neither appliance module responds to 'Local control' (turning the attached device on/off). Both of their relays make a CLICK heard around the neighborhood.

Differences:
      1) The RR501 can receive X10 on the powerline, so its appliance module can therefore be controlled by the powerline as well as RF. The TM751's appliance module can only be controlled by RF.
      2) The RR501 can respond to 'Status Request' commands over the powerline, whereas the TM751 cannot (thanks, Gary).
      3) The RR501 has a switch that selects the unit code of its appliance module. It can be either unit 1 or unit 9. The TM751's appliance module is hardwired as unit 1.
      4)The RR501 is physically larger, at 4.25" H x 2.75" W, as compared to the TM751's 2.75" H x 2.25" W. They are both 1.25" deep (that should be up with the similarities ).
      Last edited by ; November 8, 2004, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the helpful info!

#1 is what I was completely unaware of (with regards to the TM751) and that's what was limiting me here.

Thanks again!

Comment

Rocco, I forgot about the 1 or 9 option on the RR501! I also didn't remember it receiving powerline signals for the appliance module outlet. I trust that's the only capability when receiving powerline commands?

I long ago put my RR501 and TM751's away in favor of the MR26A, then W800RF32A, and oops, I also use a CM19A for ninja control!

(P.S. you're also right about the click - man it was loud!)

Comment

THE RR501 CAN ALSO REPORT STATUS IF ASKED

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary:
              THE RR501 CAN ALSO REPORT STATUS IF ASKED <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good one, Gary! I did not know that. I will have to test that now, as I can really use that for a motion sensor operated fluorescent light.

Comment

Working...
              X