Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I set several Insteon lamp modules to the same address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I set several Insteon lamp modules to the same address?

One of the things that I liked about x-10 was the ability to set many modules to the same address so that I could, with one event or control command activate many lights at once. It seems that insteon foils this in that every module has its own unique address. While I really like the added reliability of insteon (now that I've got it working) I really miss being able to set the addresses to whatever value I want.

Am I missing something here? Are there any tutorials or documentation online that explains in depth how to makes scenes, link modules together or otherwise use homeseer to control these things other than how I used the old x-10s?

Thanks.

Greg

Why not simply setup one event to control multiple devices?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I could do that. I was just wondering if I could somehow link addresses of insteon divides together in some fashion.

Thanks.

Comment

Greg

Insteon groups are for that. Use the insteon plugin under the groups link. Assign the devices you want to "have the same address" in that group.

Here's the tricky (but good) part. That group will show up in Homeseer as a device. Turn it on or off.

Here are some other benefits that make it the same, and more, than x10 scenes:
        • You can include any and all devices in a single group. Make groups the logical virtual circuits in your house
        • You can have multiple groups that both overlap and have different devices as similar groups.
        • You can individually set ramp rate and % on for each device when you add it to the group
        • You can even have "inversions". In the same group, you can turn one device on and another off. I use this for my 2 speed attic fan. I want to be 100% sure that both hot lines are not on at the same time

You can get goofy results as you learn (when it did what you told it, but not what you meant ), but you can't hurt anything.

Paul
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
          Greg

Insteon groups are for that. Use the insteon plugin under the groups link. Assign the devices you want to "have the same address" in that group.

Here's the tricky (but good) part. That group will show up in Homeseer as a device. Turn it on or off.

Here are some other benefits that make it the same, and more, than x10 scenes:
          • You can include any and all devices in a single group. Make groups the logical virtual circuits in your house
          • You can have multiple groups that both overlap and have different devices as similar groups.
          • You can individually set ramp rate and % on for each device when you add it to the group
          • You can even have "inversions". In the same group, you can turn one device on and another off. I use this for my 2 speed attic fan. I want to be 100% sure that both hot lines are not on at the same time

You can get goofy results as you learn (when it did what you told it, but not what you meant ), but you can't hurt anything.

Paul

Great Paul! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
          X