Basic Homeseer Questions - Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Homeseer Questions - Please help

I am hoping this one is easy for someone to help me.

1. How do I check if a device is in an "Unkown" status? The device is a z-wave switch. I would like to send myself an email if the device goes into this status.

Thanks

Create an event and set the trigger to Device Status Change > Changed to unknown, then on the action send yourself an email.

I think this relies on the devices status going to unknown (17?) so I would see if you can get the device into this unknown status and check it out. I am not sure if ZWave changes anything (I have no ZW devices).

Comment

Thanks. ive tried that. how can i check status at any time not just on the change trigger?

Comment

You can execute a small script that runs on a recurring interval, something like;

Code:
        Sub Main(ByVal Parms As Object)

Select Case hs.devicestatus("Q17")
        Case 2,3,4
        'this is dim/on/off so reset the email event
        hs.enableevent("Email Unknown Event")
        Case 17
        hs.triggerevent("Email Unknown Event")
        hs.disableevent("Email Unknown Event")
        'disable prevents multiple emails being sent
        Case Else
        hs.writelog("ZWMon", "HS Device Status Unknown")
        End Select
        End Sub
        (save it as a .vb file in your scripts directory and run it from an event, replace the Q17 text with that of your device)

Create another event that just has the action to email you and whatever you call that event replace 'Email Unknown Event' with that name.

Comment

Thanks! I just set it up and testing it now.

Couple followup questions

Sometimes the device is in an unknown status even when it has power and working well. Anyway to prevent this?

My real use case for doing this is to detect a power outage in my reef aquarium room. Is there a better way to do this?

Comment

Originally posted by mccutchen View Post
            Thanks! I just set it up and testing it now.

Couple followup questions

Sometimes the device is in an unknown status even when it has power and working well. Anyway to prevent this?

My real use case for doing this is to detect a power outage in my reef aquarium room. Is there a better way to do this?
            I'm afraid I don't know enough about ZWave to understand why, it could be anything - if you look in the many threads especially the HS releases there might be some information.

I had a nano reef setup a year or so ago and tried implementing something similar in principle. I ended up with a small current sensor (if you search on the board for CRMagnetics you might find some links/models, mine was not a CRMagnetics one but a different make/model) around the incoming live power line. As the current sensor gave a on/off value I then connected it to an IO board, I did not want to do it wirelessly or by X10 as that adds another variable that could go wrong and give a false reading (and if X10 and the entire power failed it would not be able to transmit its status, whereas my IO boards were powered by the UPS).

Comment

These energy meters work great for monitoring power consumption, which can detect if pumps and/or lights are on.
              http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon...itch-P986.aspx
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
                These energy meters work great for monitoring power consumption, which can detect if pumps and/or lights are on.
                http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon...itch-P986.aspx
                Playing devils advocate here (out of interest mainly) if you want to monitor power failure is this the best way of going about it?

I know little about ZWave but if you have your mesh network and part of that network is a plug in device (routing nodes or whatever they are) and the power to this link fails (aswell as the item you are interested in monitoring) is HS going to be able to process the return? Does the network try and find an alternate route?

I know perhaps alot will depend on the exact nature of the failure and the wiring setup in question - I just wondered thats all...

Comment

I assumed you were looking for a way to determine if an individual appliance (light/pump) was on or off. The power meter can detect that. If there are power issues along the way (nodes lost, circuits off) then not getting a proper power reading back to HS would indicate a problem anyways, right?
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X