Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attempting to install Yale Touchscreen Z-Wave lock -Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempting to install Yale Touchscreen Z-Wave lock -Solved!

I’m running a dedicated box for HS Pro (ZBox E350, Dual 1.6Ghz, w/8GB RAM, and a 60GB SSD), with Windows 7 Home Prem x64, USB AEON Z-Stick (Firmware updated 12/17), and version 2.5.0.44.

I’ve read the other posts by users attempting to join this device to their network and have run into simlar issues on my network.

Failed to add by:
    1.) With 30+ other Z-Wave device on the Z-Stick, took the Z-Stick to the YALE/LOCK device (in Add mode), bring back to import and HomeSeer only adds one device that becomes an on/off device with a light bulb icon. Try multiple Add/Removes with no different results.
    2.) PERFORM ERASE of Z-Stick :: BANGING HEAD ON WALL ::
    3.) Taking the Z-Stick back to the YALE/LOCK device (in Add mode) AND attempting to KEEP the YALE/LOCK device ACTIVE. Even when it times out – Activate ASAP – still only adds one device that becomes an on/off device with a light bulb icon.
    4.) PERFORM ERASE of Z-Stick :: BANGING HEAD ON FLOOR ::
    5.) I’m sure the h3ll not going to take my door down to the basement, nor am I going to remove the blasted lock (unless to return) to take it down to the basement.
    NOTE: HomeSeer, you need to add a blasted note to each of these devices to NOT follow the mounting instructions until AFTER joining the network.
    6.) I took my COMPUTER, MONITOR, KEYBOARD, MOUSE, Z-STICK, USB EXTENTION CORD, AND TWO POWER CORDS up to the door. Booted the machine, attached the Z-Stick to a 2’ USB extension, AND held the Z-Stick within 1-2” (which is really stupid – but I know someone will ask). The wife triggered the MASTERCODE on the lock and then prepared to hit 7-# to start the add device to network. I ran the computer side, took HomeSeer to the Interface’s page, held the Z-Stick next to the lock, and clicked the “Add Node” button and she then hit the “#” button on the lock. We tried to sync our action to give as much time as allowed, which was not even close.
    7.) PERFORM ERASE of Z-Stick :: BANGING HEAD ON DOOR ::

Close to success:
    The closest I’ve been to having this work was repeating step 6 (above); however, as soon as the lock audio reports added and powers off – trigger the LOCK interface again. Enter the MASTERCODE as quick as possible and then keep it powered (just push a button every 4-5 seconds). It appears there is much more going on in the background and the SECURITY SYNC is still taking place. After about 4-5 mins – I had 1 Root Device and 4 child devices. IT WORKED… I could lock/unlock and the device reported how the device was locked – by manually locked/unlocked and or HomeSeer auto lock/unlock. Life seemed good – except for headache.

Shooting Star/Close but no Cigar:
    UNTIL… I took the Z-Stick around (in Add Mode) to add back all 30+ Z-Wave devices. When I added the USB Z-Stick back to the system and performed an Import… Node 2 (YALE DOOR LOCK) timed out and I got a new Node 3 Door Lock with the blasted light bulb again and my previous Node 2 stopped working.

You’ve got to be kidding me… this should just work! This device has been the biggest pain in the @Ss.

It defiantly appears to be a timing issue, not enough time for the device to be fully detected. I only have so much time to dedicate to this stuff. It should be making life easier, working smarter, NOT working harder.

Additionally, now that I’ve gone back around and added/imported all my devices, all my HSM-100 devices now report two Motion Sensors for each HSM-100. Where is the QA in all this stuff… one step forward two steps back. I’m getting to the point I don’t want to upgrade this stuff for fear that something else is going to break. I feel like I’m paying to work/troubleshoot BETA and/or ALPHA software while someone else collects the profit.

I really don’t care that it works in the DEV lab and in the HomeSeer office. There are enough posts that indicate that this product has issues. I’ve blown a weekend on this and a little pissed. If someone else has any thoughts…

Okay… further digging.

Here is part of my irritation…

Try to call support/pre sales, no answer :: shrug ::

In the meantime 20 of my 30 days for return is ticking away. I’ve now ordered the AEON LABS Z-Stick S2 and paid for Express Shipping. If it doesn’t work after that… I’m returning them.

On the HomeSeer Yale Touchscreen Product page you see nothing about the support requirements other than Z-Wave enabled. Did I miss something about beaming requirement in newer controllers. http://store.homeseer.com/store/Yale...P1071C184.aspx

But in the forum (http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=150983), you find an article that states Aeon Z-Stick v1 doesn’t work; you now need S2 (v2). Why is this NOT on the product pages. It appears to have been posted 30+ days ago. Come on folks.

My question is now how far will this reach… do I need yet another repeater that HomeSeer is not telling me about. Yes, Yes, I know, there is always the support catchall; It might work 2’ or it might work 20’ – we really don’t know what makes our products work or not.
    Last edited by Cheat; December 18, 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Since the product page lacks requirements... added a review to the product page. http://store.homeseer.com/store/Yale...P1071C184.aspx

Stand Alone: 4 Good
      Lock works as a stand alone (auto lock disabled) with no issues.

Auto Lock: 2 Poor
      The auto lock feature is a little stupid if the door is not closed all the way or left open longer than 30 seconds. It then leaves an imprint on your door frame when the door closes with the bolt extended. Lock isn't smart enough to know when it's aligned with the strike plate (closed) and ready to secure.

Requirements: 2 Poor
      Due to the lack of requirements posted on this page I've beat my head on many desks/walls trying to get this device added to my Z-Wave network.
      NOTE: This device may require a new controller with "Beaming", such as the AEON LABS Z-Stick S2; add another $60-70 to the price if you don't already have.

COST: 1 Very Poor
      Additional Controller puts total cost up around $350.

NOTE: Go read the HomeSeer Message Support Board before you buy any of these locks.

Comment

All Locks need either the 5.02 firmware or the 4.51 firmware on the controller to be able to communicate correctly. You want to add the Yale Lock from Setup - Interfaces - Manage - ADD Node. Lock should be very close to the controller(6 inches or so). The need for adding it from here is because of the security class which takes longer to do all the correct negotiations which are necessary to add the Lock to HomeSeer.

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=38

Comment

kaldoon,

Thx for the reply... but I almost feel like something else is missing or waiting for the other shoe to drop. As I read the posts it sounds like folks have controllers within a couple of feet and still having problems. Just not sure if they have the firmware requirement - not enough information in their posts.

I'm going to wait until I get the Aeon Labs Z-Stick S2; then I'll:
          1.) Update HSPro to latest approved public released version (currently 2.5.0.44) - NO Betas - have enough issues.
          2.) Update Z-Stick S2 Firmware to latest version
          As you stated, it looks like they have firmware 5.02 P3 posted (link below for others)
          http://www.aeon-labs.com/site/products/view/2
          3.) Add Lock, If Success, goto 4
          4.) Add one HSM-100, If Success, (no duplicate motion) complete the other 30 Z-Wave devices

The other shoe, I fear is support playing the repeater requirement device and pushing their Z-Troller. The Z-Troller product page talks about how great it is, but the forum talks about don't do this or that with it or it gets really confused (ex. optimize). Nor do I want to buy another piece of equipment that requires me to send back for firmware updates and $50.

Right now I'm in a holding pattern. Just really irritated, due to price points, time restrictions, and missed expectations for what we pay.
          Last edited by Cheat; December 18, 2011, 03:12 PM. Reason: Aeon firmware link

Comment

Hello,

I believe you did call us and we helped you out? We have since updated the lock descriptions to note the firmware requirement of the PC interface. Note that you should add the locks close to the PC, and use the Add Node button on the Z-Wave manage page to add the lock, then move the lock to its final location then optimize it. Nodes between the lock and the PC interface need to be beaming capable devices or they won't route information to the lock.

Post here if you still have issues as it will email me directly.

Originally posted by Cheat View Post
            kaldoon,

Thx for the reply... but I almost feel like something else is missing or waiting for the other shoe to drop. As I read the posts it sounds like folks have controllers within a couple of feet and still having problems. Just not sure if they have the firmware requirement - not enough information in their posts.

I'm going to wait until I get the Aeon Labs Z-Stick S2; then I'll:
            1.) Update HSPro to latest approved public released version (currently 2.5.0.44) - NO Betas - have enough issues.
            2.) Update Z-Stick S2 Firmware to latest version
            As you stated, it looks like they have firmware 5.02 P3 posted (link below for others)
            http://www.aeon-labs.com/site/products/view/2
            3.) Add Lock, If Success, goto 4
            4.) Add one HSM-100, If Success, (no duplicate motion) complete the other 30 Z-Wave devices

The other shoe, I fear is support playing the repeater requirement device and pushing their Z-Troller. The Z-Troller product page talks about how great it is, but the forum talks about don't do this or that with it or it gets really confused (ex. optimize). Nor do I want to buy another piece of equipment that requires me to send back for firmware updates and $50.

Right now I'm in a holding pattern. Just really irritated, due to price points, time restrictions, and missed expectations for what we pay.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Also having difficulty adding Yale Lock to Homeseer Z-Wave Network

Thanks for the fast responses.

As of 1:45am last night, I am running HSPro 2.5.0.44

I have a 2-foot USB extension coming from the PC so I can hold the Aeon Z-Stick Series 2 well within 6 inches from the Z-Wave module on the Yale lock during "Add" and "Remove".

The Z-Stick had been flashed to 5.02P3 from Aeon's website.

I can remove and add (always using the "Add Node" and "Remove Node" functions on the Z-Wave Management Page), but it only registers the lone Device Type of "Z-Wave Door Lock". The reference ID fwiw on the "additional information" page is 6665.
              I have ALSO tried multiple times to do a "Rescan" from the device page with the Z-Stick right by the lock, only to get the following:
              1/6/2012 7:42:18 AM - Z-Wave - ********** Reloading Z-Wave Device with Node ID of 40 **********
              1/6/2012 7:42:18 AM - Z-Wave - Getting SECURITY class information for Lower Level Z-Wave Interface Front Door (40)
              1/6/2012 7:42:52 AM - Z-Wave - Failed (A) to get SECURE command classes from node 40. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.
              1/6/2012 7:42:52 AM - Z-Wave - Warning: Could not get SECURE command classes for node 40, Lower Level Z-Wave Interface Front Door. Cannot continue.

I sort of would expect that all of the security stuff should be done only during the initial "Add" but I don't know the details. I do know that the "1" touch-panel key blinks ~36 times during the add process.

Again, I'm happy to switch to the Z-Troller as part of the excercise, I just need to know what the best practices for making the switch are.
              The specs for locks and "beaming" must be a little fuzzy and hard to deal with for hardware venddors and software folks alike, so I'm a very patient guy ;-) If there is any debug or log information that you'd like me to provide, I'm happy to help -- just let me know.
              Thanks, -Bill

Comment

This should really work, I have a Yale lock here on my desk and it adds perfectly everytime (with the Z-Troller and the Z-Stick). Check the following:

* If you are polling another device very often, like every second, that could confuse things. Are you sure you are not polling some other devices?
                * Check the batteries, low batteries will appear to work, but you will get odd errors (like you are seeing). Put in some new batteries.
                * Reset the lock. I have seen the Yale lock get into a bad state where it would not add properly. Do a delete on it, then remove the batteries to power cycle it, then re-add it.

Originally posted by brehbock View Post
                Thanks for the fast responses.

As of 1:45am last night, I am running HSPro 2.5.0.44

I have a 2-foot USB extension coming from the PC so I can hold the Aeon Z-Stick Series 2 well within 6 inches from the Z-Wave module on the Yale lock during "Add" and "Remove".

The Z-Stick had been flashed to 5.02P3 from Aeon's website.

I can remove and add (always using the "Add Node" and "Remove Node" functions on the Z-Wave Management Page), but it only registers the lone Device Type of "Z-Wave Door Lock". The reference ID fwiw on the "additional information" page is 6665.
                I have ALSO tried multiple times to do a "Rescan" from the device page with the Z-Stick right by the lock, only to get the following:
                1/6/2012 7:42:18 AM - Z-Wave - ********** Reloading Z-Wave Device with Node ID of 40 **********
                1/6/2012 7:42:18 AM - Z-Wave - Getting SECURITY class information for Lower Level Z-Wave Interface Front Door (40)
                1/6/2012 7:42:52 AM - Z-Wave - Failed (A) to get SECURE command classes from node 40. Device may not be added properly to HomeSeer.
                1/6/2012 7:42:52 AM - Z-Wave - Warning: Could not get SECURE command classes for node 40, Lower Level Z-Wave Interface Front Door. Cannot continue.

I sort of would expect that all of the security stuff should be done only during the initial "Add" but I don't know the details. I do know that the "1" touch-panel key blinks ~36 times during the add process.

Again, I'm happy to switch to the Z-Troller as part of the excercise, I just need to know what the best practices for making the switch are.
                The specs for locks and "beaming" must be a little fuzzy and hard to deal with for hardware venddors and software folks alike, so I'm a very patient guy ;-) If there is any debug or log information that you'd like me to provide, I'm happy to help -- just let me know.
                Thanks, -Bill

Comment

I had three devices that were polling at six second intervals and disabled polling on those and it didn't make a difference. It still failed.
                  However, I did get it to work. The issue seems to be related to the lock going to sleep right after it successfully gets added. The next thing that HSPro does is start re-enumerating devices, THEN it queries the newly added lock for additional capabilities.
                  I kept the lock awake until ALL HSPro was completely done, and the lock added ok and I have my Root and three children (Alarm, Battery, Lock).

My new issue is making sure that the Z-Stick 2 doesn't have enough wattage to beam to the lock from the 20-some feet upstairs where it's located. I'm going to try strategically placing a beaming-capable wall module in between the two and that should do it.

Comment

The Yale lock supports beaming so it wakes up automatically, so I'm not sure what you did that was different.

I had three devices that were polling at six second intervals and disabled polling on those and it didn't make a difference. It still failed.
                    However, I did get it to work. The issue seems to be related to the lock going to sleep right after it successfully gets added. The next thing that HSPro does is start re-enumerating devices, THEN it queries the newly added lock for additional capabilities.
                    I kept the lock awake until ALL HSPro was completely done, and the lock added ok and I have my Root and three children (Alarm, Battery, Lock).

My new issue is making sure that the Z-Stick 2 doesn't have enough wattage to beam to the lock from the 20-some feet upstairs where it's located. I'm going to try strategically placing a beaming-capable wall module in between the two and that should do it.

Comment

As Rich mentioned, locks support beaming, so you do not have to wait for them to wake up. However, the security protocol in Z-Wave requires that after the node has been added to the network, there is a very short period of time in which the security key can be exchanged to complete the authorization of the device to communicate via the security command class. Without that, only non-secure command classes will work. Thus, if you add the lock with the stick disconnected, even plugging it in very quickly and starting the import function may be too late, but it is DEFINITELY too late if there is a command - such as polling - already taking place. With 3 thermostats being polled every 5 seconds, and a thermostat having between 4 and 6 command classes that get queried when it is polling, you have your Z-Wave network tied up almost exclusively with polling. I hope you meant to say 5 minutes and not 5 seconds, because if it was 5 seconds then good luck getting anything to work very well!
                      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I have now moved from Z-Stick2 to my updated Z-Troller and pared down the amount of polling on my network. I was able to add the Yale lock with no problems and configure and control the lock with no issues when the Z-Troller was close to the lock.
                        BUT, when I move the Z-Troller and PC back to their normal location, I can Optimize with no issues, and can see the lock with a No-Op, but cannot control or query the lock. According to Z-Seer and Who-Am-I, the Yale Lock is a direct route to the Z-Troller.
                        I also have an ACT wall-dimmer with beaming in-between, but most of my other nodes are older, pre-beaming/security. Any thoughts on making sure that communication with the Yale lock is robust?
                        HSPro 2.5.0.49
                        Z-Troller 1.15

Comment

Have you done a full optimize on your network? If not, please do so. Then optimize the lock 4 times, then do a full optimize on the lock. The full optimize will add return routes to the lock. The return routes tell the lock how to route back to the Z-Troller.

But here is a potential problem. The Z-Troller firmware does not know about the types of devices in your network so it may add return routes that route the packets through your non-beaming devices. If this happens, then the queries to the lock will fail.

There are 3 ways to fix this:

1) Make sure all of your devices are beamining capable (not an ideal solution)
                          2) Power off all your non-beaming capable devices, then optimize the lock 4 times and do a full optimize on it. By doing this, the controller will think that the lock only has beaming capable neighbors and will assign the proper routes.
                          3) Add another Z-Troller to your system that is closer to the lock so routing is not required.

I have now moved from Z-Stick2 to my updated Z-Troller and pared down the amount of polling on my network. I was able to add the Yale lock with no problems and configure and control the lock with no issues when the Z-Troller was close to the lock.
                          BUT, when I move the Z-Troller and PC back to their normal location, I can Optimize with no issues, and can see the lock with a No-Op, but cannot control or query the lock. According to Z-Seer and Who-Am-I, the Yale Lock is a direct route to the Z-Troller.
                          I also have an ACT wall-dimmer with beaming in-between, but most of my other nodes are older, pre-beaming/security. Any thoughts on making sure that communication with the Yale lock is robust?
                          HSPro 2.5.0.49
                          Z-Troller 1.15

Comment

A note to add to what Rich posted and to clarify - you need to optimize the nodes around the lock so that THEY know they are neighbors to the lock (if they support beaming) and THEN you optimize the lock so that the "return routes" get added with the knowledge of which nodes are neighbors. This is why Rich wrote "full optimize on your network". Do it a few times. If you have version 2.5.0.49, do "Optimize" on the whole network and then "Full Optimize" on the lock.
                            Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I'd attempted first doing a Full Network Optimization and had errors establishing return routes. I still could not Configure Options or Configure User Codes.

I later (at 3:30am) used "Optimize" and went to bed. This morning it now seems to be working.

When you wind up with multiple routes from the Primary Controller to a Security Device, can routes through "old" Z-Wave non-beaming/non-security class devices cause problems? Is there any way to set up a single, static route that you know is stable?
                              I'm worried about optimizing again as I add more nodes; could it start failing again?

My next phase is going to take me from 22 nodes to about 40, so I'm really trying to get a good understanding of how all of this is supposed to work now. Thanks for your patience. -Bill

1/16/2012 2:42:09 AM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Optimization of node 22 successfully started...
                              1/16/2012 2:42:14 AM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Device 22, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Root Device 22 successfully optimized.
                              1/16/2012 2:42:18 AM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 22, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Root Device 22...
                              1/16/2012 2:42:37 AM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 22, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Root Device 22: Result=ARR_Not_Done

1/16/2012 2:47:00 AM ~!~Warning~!~Aborting Z-Wave send, taking too long to send command to node 22 waited 10 seconds
                              1/16/2012 2:47:05 AM ~!~Info~!~Send abort status received.

1/16/2012 2:47:48 AM ~!~Warning~!~Z-Wave transmission failed (22) due to network jam or some other issue preventing radio transmission.
                              1/16/2012 2:47:58 AM ~!~ERROR~!~Timeout waiting for send abort to complete

1/16/2012 3:34:59 AM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Instructing node # 22,Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Root Device 22, to re-discover its neighbors using the MAIN Z-Wave interface...
                              1/16/2012 3:34:59 AM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Optimization of node 22 successfully started...
                              1/16/2012 3:35:03 AM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Device 22, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Root Device 22 successfully optimized

Comment

Working...
                              X