Sending text to Mobile Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending text to Mobile Device

Back a few months ago I migrated my HS V 2.5.0.20 over to a new computer, this machine is running Win 7 Professional, as the other machine was running Win 98.

On the old machine when I had an alarm event from the DSC interface I had an event set up to e-mail me a text msg to my iPhone telling me of what has taken place.

On the new machine I have set up the exact same event, BUT now I get the following msg in the log:

Sending email using SMTP: at least one of the FROM or SENDER fields is required and neither was found.

I have looked every where, and my set up of this machine is the same as the old machine but after 4 tries the email is aborted?

What am I missing ??

Are you HomeSeer email settings correct?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have the SMTP name, user name, and password all correct to send it thru Gmail ?
      The TO setting is to my e-mail address
      and the FROM setting says from Homeseer

It worked just fine on the old machine, only having problems since moving to the new machine, and OS.

???

Comment

Did you use Outlook Express by any chance in your last setup?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

if all of you're send settings are setup correctly under setup and email. Then the settings from the event need to be setup as well.

I use HS without any email client on the server, and send text messages all of the time to my cell phones.

you may want to take a look at this for GMail setup:

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/t...ook-gmail.html

-Skybolt
          -Skybolt

Comment

So I think I have this figured out, on the old machine at one time I must have used Outlook and set it up for e-mail, this I have NOT done on the new machine.

So I am guessing ( as we all know what happens if you assume ,,,lol) as I have not done this on the new machine it has no way of knowing how to send the e-mail ??

Comment

Windows 7 does not have Outlook that I can find it has Windows Live Mail which I configured and can get all my Gmail information but I am still getting the same error in HS ?? When I try to send an e-mail ??

Sorry not much of a Windblows guy here,,,,all Mac except for the HS machine ,,,

Comment

I'm on W7 and am able to send mail from HS, but not using GMail:
                Attached Files
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Here's the event setup:
                  Attached Files
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

if you don't want to deal with ms mail clients, you can use a command line sender like blat http://goo.gl/s2PEY

blat doesn't support ssl, but will with stunnel http://goo.gl/Ylrqw

if you use gmail but don't care about encrypting your email connection, the gmail server runs on the standard smtp port. just configure blat like so:

blat -install smtp.google.com your_house@gmail.com 3 25 - your_house your_password

where 3 is the # of retries

then have your event issue a shell command:
                    blat -body "message blah blah blah" -t xyz@abc.def -s "subject blah"

Comment

I recall fighting with this under Win XP a long time ago and I believe that in addition to having correctly formatted email addresses in the To and From fields of the email event, you also must also have correctly formatted email addresses in the Default "TO" E-Mail address: and Default "FROM" E-Mail address: on the mail tab in HS setup. Also make sure you're not using MAPI: set the Use MAPI option to No (in settings.)
                      Best regards,
                      -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                      Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

I think Damage's idea is the easiest...but if you use Stunnel, you don't need anything but what's in Homeseer. It's just a matter of setting up the config. file properly for stunnel.

Then homeseer just sends mail to localhost...which stunnel will translate out to your mail server over ssl.

--Dan
                        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

What's interesting too is that you can utilize/run STunnel on one computer with another computer pointed to it's IP and it works the same.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            What's interesting too is that you can utilize/run STunnel on one computer with another computer pointed to it's IP and it works the same.
                            you can even run stunnel on a router running dd-wrt or a plug computer

Comment

Sending Text

Sorry but I can't get any text messages to go through, I tried all of the above suggestions except using blat, which I know nothing about.

What I can't figure out is what it is telling me it can't find ???

Do I need a mail client on my Win7 machine, like Thunderbird or Outlook, as I do not have one at this time.

Here is a copy of the information, what fields is it talking about, in the action on the event set up or in the HS e-mail settings?

08/03/2012 9:06:38 PM - email - Email receive thread started
                              08/03/2012 9:06:57 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Alarm Armed"
                              08/03/2012 9:06:57 PM - Error - Sending email using SMTP: At least one of the From or Sender fields is required, and neither was found.
                              08/03/2012 9:07:27 PM - Error - Sending email using SMTP: At least one of the From or Sender fields is required, and neither was found.
                              08/03/2012 9:07:57 PM - Error - Sending email using SMTP: At least one of the From or Sender fields is required, and neither was found.
                              08/03/2012 9:08:09 PM - Error - Processing email at line 0 :Thread was being aborted.

Thanks again for your help, I had no problem at all on the Win98 machine just since going to Win 7 ,,,,,

Comment

Working...
                              X