Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SynchroLinc for 'discrete' infrared control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SynchroLinc for 'discrete' infrared control?

Hello,

An old Sony receiver of mine that I used in my bedroom finally crapped out. This receiver supported discrete on and off infrared signals. This was benneficial because I could be sure that I was turning the receiver on or off regardless of its current state.

Unfortunately, the Nakamichi I want to replace the Sony with does not support discrete on and off commands. It's a simple 'power' command that will turn the receiver on if it's off and off if it's on. Make sense?

So I read about this SynchroLinc and was thinking this might be the answer although I'm not exactly sure how it interfaces with HomeSeer. Does it simply show up as a device? And does the device report 'On' whenver the device that is plugged into it is on and visa versa for 'Off'?

Is there a way to have one event run another event while still applying the second event's conditions? I'd like to create two events. One for turning the receiver on, and one for turning it off. Each event would look at the status of the SynchroLinc before determining whether or not to send the 'power' command. But I'd like to be able to run these events from within other events. Does that make sense? Or would something like this require a custom script?

Thanks for any input on this. Have a great day!

Mike
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Mike, I have been looking at this for several of my components. One of the projects on list is putting an appliance module behind just about all of the av equipment. I have a x10 ir receiver, and will have the remote turn it all off and all back on.

It would let my save power and have everything in a known state. I have switched to insteon and would prefer to do it with insteon but have the parts in x10 right now.

If you are planning to use a remote, an IR receiver to x10 or insteon will be needed to catch the remote's actions

Paul
    Last edited by pbibm; January 7, 2012, 05:24 PM.
    Paul

Comment

Here's what I'm doing for now. I created the 2 different events called 'Nakamichi On' and 'Nakamichi Off'. Each one runs a custom script:

Nakamichi On

Sub Main()
      if hs.isoff("B13") then
      hs.SendIR "Nakamichi_Receiver,Power"
      hs.execx10 "B13","on",0
      end if
      End Sub

Nakamichi Off

Sub Main()
      if hs.ison("B13") then
      hs.SendIR "Nakamichi_Receiver,Power"
      hs.execx10 "B13","off",0
      end if
      End Sub

My IR system is pretty reliable and I almost alway turn the equipment on or off via HomeSeer. So lets say I already have the Nakamichi on but then I run an event that is also programmed to turn it on. The above ensures it won't get turned off. But again this assumes I only turn it on or off via HomeSeer, which I do.

I see what you're getting at with the appliance modules. Unfortunately not the cheapest solution depending on how much equipment you're plugging in. It's a problem easily solved by discrete on/off commands. I wish all manufacturers supported that.

I'd bet some of your equipment supports it. Have you looked at remotecentral.com for IR codes for your devices?

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/

This site and forum has been very helpful for all my IR related problems.

Mike

P.S. I'm using USB-UIRT for my IR send/receive along with a pair of those pyramid repeaters.
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I have a Logitech harmony multifunction remote and it has all of my components codes are in it. All but one of the components is toggle, not discrete on/off.

The appliance module is kind of a last straw but it seems to work with stuff I had laying around. The extension cord for the whole setup would be plugged into one appliance module, and that one unit cycled.

The problem is that occasional visitors (MIL) forgets to keep the remote pointed at the cabinet for the 5 seconds it take to turn everything on or off. so it gets out of sync and then everyone goes crazy. Right now, its weeks to months of things going good, and then one mistake and the IR house of cards falls down.

A single appliance module would get it all to a uniform off state in a snap. The 'back on' would take less than a second longer. I can tell everyone that if its out of sync, press the off button , it sends and x10 off.... and start over.
        Paul

Comment

Yeah, that's one unfortunate thing about those macro remotes. Another possible solution to your problem is to NOT have the Harmony send all of the on/off commands. Have it send only one command that HomeSeer responds to and let HS turn everything on/off or switch inputs, or whatever macro you need. That's what I do. Since HomeSeer I've never had the need for a remote with macros.

Have you heard of those power saver powerstrips that automatically shut off power to other outlets when a trigger device is turned off. I've considered trying to use one of those for this problem as well. But I think what I've got going will do just fine for now.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X