Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RS-485 for Homeseer

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of switching from Stargate to HomeSeer and the last piece of hardware that I have and would like to keep are RS-485 based devices. Specifically, they are RCS TR-16 thermostats and an outdoor temperature sensor (RCS OS21).

I've looked for an RS-485 to USB adapter/converter but struck out. Anyone have any thoughts on how to get RS-485 devices to work with HomeSeer? I'm running HomeSeer on a notebook so I can't use an adapter card.

Thanks for the help.

Armand Girard

Armand

USB to RS485 converters do exist and I can't think of another way to convert. They are not cheap, but will be cheaper than replacing stats.

Good name brands that make them are Startech & Prolific. Both newegg.com and buy.com have them

Paul
    Paul

Comment

I use a couple different things... I have a Devicemaster RTS ethernet to serial converter.. it is 16 ports RS232 / RS485 and works great...

for my MODBUS furnace, the RS485 needed to be dead on so i use this

http://shopcsimn.com/product.php?pro...cat=262&page=2

and these have been excellent.. they work with the RCS thermostats too...

RS485 is multi-drop and the thermostats are addressable so you should be able to just run them on the same line as long as the plugin supports it...

-Christopher
      PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

A quick search of Ebay found this cheap USB to 485 device: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RS485-Co...item33704e0d3b
        Jon

Comment

Do you have any serial over IP devices at all? If so you might find you have this option somewhere, I know mine has ports that can be configured in software to be RS232, 485 or 422.

Comment

I find some serial to IP devices dont truly convert the RS485 quite right.. in my case my RCS thermostats work fine over the Devicemaster RTS serial server, however my MODBUS link did not as timing is extremely important.. and evidentilly the slight bit of Latency in an IP network caused timing issues with my MODBUS link...
            -Christopher
            PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Originally posted by cadillackid View Post
              I find some serial to IP devices dont truly convert the RS485 quite right.. in my case my RCS thermostats work fine over the Devicemaster RTS serial server, however my MODBUS link did not as timing is extremely important.. and evidentilly the slight bit of Latency in an IP network caused timing issues with my MODBUS link...
              -Christopher
              Interesting to know thanks (I have a Devicemaster RTS 8 port), I have not tried it yet but did plan on doing something with RS485 - this might save me a headache.

Comment

I have a Wavin (HeatMiser) waterbased underfloor heating system, with a UH1 wiring centre and (x 16) PRT-N (12V) Thermostats and a master console Touchpad. The Touchpad talks to the thermotats using RS485 (Half Duplex) on a dual wire (over CAT5).

HeatMiser sell two interface products to link into the RS485 bus, one is USB based, and one is TCP/IP based. Links are:

http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/Jara-...tor-Jara-2201D
                http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/epage...Products/NC601

Comment

I am planning to move some TR-16 thermostats from Stargate to Homeseer and was just going to use the RCS 8AH485D RS232 to RS485 hub plus a cheap usb to serial adapter. Is there some reason you are not going that route?

Comment

The only reason I went down this route was not to have the serial/usb tethered to one machine and possibly allow multiple machines (and internet) to access the TCPIP/RS485 converter. It's probably a bit of a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Information on the NC601 is somewhat lacking, although I now have the chinese translated manual, and, Heatmiser gave me some help in terms of connecting it to the RS485 bus in my wiring centre.

Comment

For anyone interested I've posted a public beta of a Heatmiser plug-in here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...97#post1141097
                      Nicolai L

Comment

Hi
                        Does this work with all current versions of the stat.
                        I have held of buying any of the wifi stats due to lack of integration but now I see you have sorted this I will start to change to the wifi versions

Finally some UK interest. Well done

regards
                        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kensmith View Post
                          Hi
                          Does this work with all current versions of the stat.
                          I have held of buying any of the wifi stats due to lack of integration but now I see you have sorted this I will start to change to the wifi versions

Finally some UK interest. Well done

regards
                          Ken
                          Right now the plug-in should manage wifi thermostats that are configured for single-zone. I'm just starting work on those configured with multi-link/NM & multi-zone (so that could be WiFi thermostats or rs485 stats through multi-link/nm remotely.

I'll probably have the multi-link in the next beta in the coming days.

At some point, if there is a need/requests, I might also do the rs485 (where the plug-in acts as the Master and is connected directly to the rs485 network.

Heatmiser have chosen to implement slight variations in the protocol for each of their different systems, leading to more development time and maintenance!

Oh, and by the way, none of the above will work for the new Neo system. That will be a separate plug-in scheduled for later.
                          Nicolai L

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will stay away from the Neo

Regards
                            ken

Comment

Working...
                            X