Clear All

Homeseer, Caddx, PLC-BUS system

Hi,

I am planning to setup the following system in my new house:
    - Homeseer PRO
    - Caddx NX-8E
    - PLC-BUS modules
    - IP camera

What I would like to achieve is to use a simple Caddx NX-8E setup with no GSM, IP, telephone or automation modules and use Homeseer and PLC-BUS to triger events to turn certain lights on/off based on Caddx triggers, send SMS or call my phone, control the alarm (arm/disarm) from the Internet via Homeseer etc.

Also, I would like to have Homeseer record from my IP camera when the alarm is armed and there is movement in the room I have the camera. Is this possible with Homeseer?

As I have not bought anything yet, is Caddx and PLC-BUS a good option for Homeseer?

Would the above setting work as I describe it?

Many thanks in advance,
    Chris

I would appreciate if someone with similar experiences could help.
    Thanks!

Comment

Anyone that used homeseer with caddx and plcbus and could help pleaseeee!
      Thanxx!

Comment

I don't know about the PLC stuff, but I don't think I would go with a Caddx again.

I have one and its a great alarm, and the plugin works pretty good. It has trouble and although the developer is great, but its a part time gig.

I would go with an alarm that HS offers a in-house supported plugin. Like the DSC. I think they make the plugin for that. Double check that first.

I don't have any experience with it since I already have the Caddx.

In general, I would look at products that HS has official plugins for.

But what you are asking is very doable. I have my Caddx motion sensors trigger lighting and it works just fine.
        -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
        Way2 Call
        Elk M1 Gold
        UPB HAI switches
        HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

I use Homeseer and the Caddx plugin by James and it works very well. It has a number of great features. It supports all of the functions of the Caddx features. The panel itself if a full featured panel.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Comment

I've installed a couple of Caddx NX8e systems and a couple of Elk M1-Gold systems and there is just no comparison, the Elk is much easier to program and has a lot more features than the Caddx. Plus, the NX8e is an old system destine to legacy status (if not already there). I have also used HomeSeer (ver 1.7) to interface with both systems.

Programming the NX8e is not a trivial process. It only has a serial interface and their DL900 software is not user friendly at all. If you want, you can program via an LCD keypad, but then you will learn to hate the word "segment"!

The Elk M1 on the other hand offers an Ethernet module, iPhone and Android applications to interface directly with the system, and serial board add ons that will let you interface it with peripherals such as thermostats and some newer lighting technologies.

If you are going to go through the trouble and want to 'tinker' with a new installation, then you should seriously look at the Elk. At a minimum, glance at both, the Caddx NX8e and the Elk M1-Gold installation manuals. That will give you an idea what you are up against.
            --------------------------------------------------
            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Great point about caddx being "oudated". It is a good system, but hard to work with by today's standards.

I originally got mine because it was the only one that works with Stargate.

Now I'm invested in a number of wireless sensors. Do the caddx wireless sensors worth with any other panels?
              -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
              Way2 Call
              Elk M1 Gold
              UPB HAI switches
              HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Thanks very much to all!

I will have a technician installing and programming the alarm and then I will connect it to a pc running homeseer and install the plcbus devices.

When you say caddx is difficult to program, do you mean that after the technician programs the alarm, I will need to reprogram it to "talk" to homeseer over serial? That part of the programming is difficult?

Comment

Working...
                X