Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorized Shade wiring and Insteon device question

Hi,

I'm looking for some help purchasing an insteon device for controlling motorized shades via dry contact.

Here is the link to the motor I would like to purchase: http://rollertrol.com/store/en/motor...arter-kit.html

I contacted the the company and i was told this device would work and that motor requires a min. of 2 wires (up and down). I guess this means 2 relays, i asked for more detail on wiring but really wasn't provided with any: http://www.smarthome.com/31274/Simpl...troller/p.aspx

I would rather stay away from simplehomenet devices and was wondering if anyone with dry contact wiring experience knew if I would be able to accomplish this with insteon I/O linc devices (i have a couple of these laying around not being used)

So in short here are my questions:

1. How would i wire to the simplehomenet device? (i looked over the manual but still can't figure it out)
    2. If an I/O linc can be used how would i wire to this device?
    3. This may be a question for another section but if I can't use and I/O linc, I'd rather got with a IP2CC. Anyone know if this would work?

Thanks

Originally posted by kirving1 View Post
    Hi,

So in short here are my questions:

1. How would i wire to the simplehomenet device? (i looked over the manual but still can't figure it out)
    Wiring is a matter of looking at the docs for the SNH devices and running wires to the contacts. The only issue you will have with SHN devices is the need to have a script receive and process the insteon command from the EzIO. I use the EZFLoras and had to do scripting and testing to get it to work. If you search the board for EZIO you will find many examples. Its a matter of getting it to work, once it does its fast and reliable.

2. If an I/O linc can be used how would i wire to this device?
    I just put an IO linc in for my garage door. They have very small terminals and you wire from the IOLinc to the terminals on the shade device. The thing to figure out is if the shade wants continuous or momentary contact to make it work. Momentary is like a garage door button, one brief push makes it work. Continuous means it needs the contact made the entire time.

It looks like you will need 2 IO Lincs to get this shade device to work

3. This may be a question for another section but if I can't use and I/O linc, I'd rather got with a IP2CC. Anyone know if this would work?
    I don't know this one. IO linc will work but you will need two of them if two contacts are needed by the shade. It may need a plugin

It becomes a matter of economics then
    • Some of the simple homenets have multiple contacts on them, if you do, working with the scripts will take a little time, but if you have them its cheap. The HS user Hurryforit is writing a plugin for thse.
    • IOLinc is insteon and fits with your insteon network easily
    • I don't know enough to answer about using the IP2CC. I don't know how many contacts it has and you might need a plugin or scirpt

Paul
    Paul

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I too have an IO linc on my garage door, I've also added one to my gas fireplace. I was looking at the smarthome site and was wondering if i would be able to get away with only 1 IO linc, looks like they have a similar setup for Somfy devices. http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/318276Iqs.pdf

They have the up white wire connected to the N/O terminal and the down black wire connected to the N/C terminal of the IO linc.

If I do go the IO linc route does anyone know exactly how I would wire it. Do I need to connect a ground wire coming from the shade interface? If I connect the up wire to N/O on the IO linc what do I connect the comm wire to on the shade?

My Home Theater is still under construction so I want to make sure I know exactly how to wire for the shades since I will be ising the to cover french doors going into the HT (I want to conceal the wires as much as possible before installing the doors)

Thanks

Comment

There is an example on the Smarthome page for the product that I think it exactly the same as what is in the manual for the blinds

You will need 2 of them to make it work. If you click the insteon link on the rollertrol site, it says this Use with Insteon EZIO 4 Input/2 Output Relay Controller. Which means two IOlincs (1 in and 1 out) are needed

Paul
        Paul

Comment

I've read the site and can't figure out the difference in the motors. Do the "Radio" motors ie the Z-Wave motors, have the Z-Wave radio in the actual motor? Also, are there any diagrams that show how these actually mount in the blind?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            I've read the site and can't figure out the difference in the motors. Do the "Radio" motors ie the Z-Wave motors, have the Z-Wave radio in the actual motor? Also, are there any diagrams that show how these actually mount in the blind?
            I've add a few email exchanges with rollertrol and there are two different kinda of motor Radio motors (which have the radio included for use with the RF remote they provide) and non radio motors which are to be used if controlling the blinds externally (ie automation systems). You have your choice of purchasing the non radio motors with an automation interface, all this looks like is a dry contact interface that you will use with whatever zwave dry contact device is available (if you want to go the zwave route). Even though they list the different automation types you can purchase the interface for I believe they are all the same as it just dry contact connection (no radio specific for zwave) I wish they were able to provide more detailed wiring instructions. I've asked for them but weren't able to get it either they don't have any or they want you to purchase first. http://rollertrol.com/store/c/37-cat...-interface.jpg

Not sure if you found this diagram yet but it gives you a better idea of how they are hooked up. http://rollertrol.com/images/illustr...ol-700x475.jpg

I found rollertrol on ebay while searching for motors and since the system looked very robust I found there webpage while searching for there product in google.
            Last edited by kirving1; January 15, 2012, 07:56 PM. Reason: picture

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do these motors simply slide into the blinds tube?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                There is an example on the Smarthome page for the product that I think it exactly the same as what is in the manual for the blinds
                Paul
                Yes I did see this diagram, and it makes sense but I still do not know about the com wire it looks like they are splicing it but I don't know where this would connect to on the rollertrol motor.

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                If you click the insteon link on the rollertrol site, it says this Use with Insteon EZIO 4 Input/2 Output Relay Controller. Which means two IOlincs (1 in and 1 out) are needed

Paul
                Looks like they must have added the EZIO to the site after my half dozen emails to them when when I wasn't getting a clear answer to my question as to what device would work. I was literally on the rollertrol site all day yesterday trying to figure out how there motors worked with external systems.

Comment

more RollerTrol motor interfacing info

Hi, I noticed this discussion so I'm posting this to help clarify things. Our non-radio motors work simply by connecting them to a 12v power source. If you reverse the wires, the motor turns in the opposite direction.

Our Universal Interface is a controller that provides the wire reversing function. There are 2 control wires, one for each direction. If you short one to ground, the motor turns one way. If you short the other wire, it turns in the opposite direction. You can use the 2 relays on the Insteon EZIO 4 Input/2 Output Relay Controller to short the control wires to ground and accomplish this functionality.Hope this helps ... Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    Thanks for the info. Do these motors simply slide into the blinds tube?
                    Yes they slide into a 1 inch tube for the mini motors (4 lb lift capacity) and 1.5 inch tube for 6 or 12 lb lift capacity.

Here is a link detailing the insertion. http://rollertrol.com/instructions-i...or-into-tubing

Here is good information on selecting the right tubing. http://rollertrol.com/DIY-blind-tubu...tube-selection

Comment

Originally posted by aerohost View Post
                      If you short the other wire, it turns in the opposite direction. You can use the 2 relays on the Insteon EZIO 4 Input/2 Output Relay Controller to short the control wires to ground and accomplish this functionality.Hope this helps ... Adrian
                      Can you explain what shorting a wire to ground means for people not as familiar with dry contact wiring like me?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks this helps out a lot!

Comment

and here's the new page for a simple schematic:

http://rollertrol.com/universal-DC-m...nds-shades.php

Comment

Working...
                          X