Starting over; which way to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting over; which way to go?

Have run Homeseer on a laptop PC tucked in a closet for eons. Haven't even looked at that laptop in years. It just runs and runs (well, until today). Using an ancient serial-port connected controller for the small number of X-10 lightswitches and relays I have installed. Had only a few events defined. No scripts - don't how to do that stuff. Don't how to access any of it from outside my home, either. Also I have a few X-10 tabletop mini-controllers. The laptop has finally died and gone to Windows heaven.

So, how to get back in business? Would you just buy a cheap Win 7 laptop (maybe from the Dell Outlet store), reconnect the controller (do laptops even have serial ports anymore?) and stick with my X-10 stuff? Or, do I need to go in a different -- yet still cost-effective -- direction? Honestly, I don't have a clue. Would hate to junk all the X-10 devices I have.

USB->Serial adapters work well. You could go with the laptop option and keep your same setup that way.
    Mike

Comment

If cost is an issue, consider an off-lease business laptop. I just bought a Dell Latitude with core2 duo running XP Pro for under $200 on eBay. I have it running my HS system, and it is literally loafing. Definitely has the power to allow you to grow your system if you want.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

My current set up is utilizing an Atom based D525/4Gb/W2003 and connecting to all of the serial/USB connected Homeseer devices via one USB cable to a 7 port Digi USB Hub to two Digi Edgeport 8's, W2C box and a couple of USB 1-wire devices.

You could do the same type of Homeseer to devices connectivity with either a new laptop (doesn't really matter what) or Net top (also tested set up on a Shuttle Net top PC or any PC) and one USB connection out of it.

If you want a really small footprint you can even run it on a picoITX atom based box with an SSD for your primary HD.

I understand that Laptops are literally throw aways these days; but they are more difficult to repair should you need to replace some failed piece of HW in them (mother board etc).

If you are leaning towards a laptop then you could purchased an off lease tablet laptop for say $200 making it dual purpose (HS server and HSTouch client). You could then just put the whole set up on a docking station and make it a digital picture frame in "appearance" but really be the center of your home automation control. (say extending a USB connection to the docking station). You can even use a USB style touchscreen monitor with it (say the Mimo monitor) to extend the video out of the base laptop.
        Last edited by Pete; January 31, 2012, 10:01 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I use one of these, a compaq 100B. Cheap, Windows pro 7 64 bit, powerful dual core. Low power. You will need a serial port.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Com...Hz_HSB-XZ846UT I've had it since september and continue to love it.

I would change only 1 thing at a time. Start with a new server and evaluate other technologies later (zwave, insteon, etc).
          Paul

Comment

I have a Fit PC-2i with a solid state drive. It works very well.
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Yes; agreeing with Paul here; baby steps with HS installation et al.

Interesting Paul. How are you liking the AMD CPU / HS Performance?

It's AMD competiton to the Atom dual core CPU.

Its similiar to the MB I purchased for my NAS endeavor. (Asus E-350 E35-M1). This new set up has 8Gb Ram / 6 SATA ports on it. Its only purpose though will be a NAS box.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Richard,

I still utilize X10 and W800 for X10 wireless "stuff". Working well here. The new Foxconn D525 MB that I am using has one external RS-232 port on it which I save for testing. I have today connected a second set of what I have connected to the Foxconn D510 based HS server and it works fine so far (Digi USB hub and two Digi Edgeport 8's).

You can pick up refurbished Digi Edgeports for a very little these days. They are very industrial.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Interesting Paul. How are you liking the AMD CPU / HS Performance?

It's AMD competition to the Atom dual core CPU.

Its similar to the MB I purchased for my NAS endeavor. (Asus E-350 E35-M1). This new set up has 8Gb Ram / 6 SATA ports on it. Its only purpose though will be a NAS box.
                  Yes, its the Fusion/Zacate. Its the AMD answer to the atom. Performance has been great. I really have to make a project out of pegging it, however you are the "task" master when it comes to system endurance. I liken it to a diesel motor in a car: Its not the fastest, but its hard to dog it out. The GPU is extremely powerful. I am looking to use mine as a video source eventually based on the AMD provided custom codecs for this GPU/chipset. I can run 2 VMs- ubuntu (vmware player) and XP (XP Mode) at the same time and it doesn't affect homeseer performance. This box also came with a laptop type power supply and nominally draws less than 20 watts unless it really being hammered on, then its around 28watts.

The thing to watch is it has no slots of any kind... which worked for me.. but not for a highspeed NAS. And its ethernet is 100mb. However it is a fast 100mb. I had to throttle it back as it will totally swamp my house's internet connection.

The E350 channeling is spectacular and should make it an ideal for a NAS box. I'm curious how your project proves that assertion out. I was going to comment about this on your NAS "How to" but I am not allowed to post there. I think it will work great.
                  Last edited by pbibm; January 31, 2012, 12:01 PM.
                  Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul.

I've left the Asus E350 running outside of a case. It has a passive CPU heatsink which gets warm; not really hot though.

For the "NAS" most likely will go with the 8 hot swap drive case for production (though most expensive but smallest footprint NAS) and the Asus MB has one PCiE 16X slot so using the IBM M1015 8 port SATA card will be over kill for this NAS but want two or more SATA ports on this set up. I will take pictures of the other NAS cases (A take apart thing ....from same MFG - and probably put them for sale on the forum some time in the future as I do not need them).

I do have another case I purchased with more HD access so may utilize that case / IBM M1015 card for my "legacy" FreeNAS box that is currently running on a Foxconn MB with a core duo CPU on it. This will be included in the DIY build your own NAS docs as it will be a rebuild of the older NAS box (it already has a 3 ware 4 drive cage in it). This other case I purchased has 4 full open slots to the front, 1 3.5" open slot to the front and 5 sideways easy access slots to the inside. (this case was $50 versus the small footprint 8 drive case that was over $100).
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete

This may not help since you're going with custom controllers, but it might be worth a look. Its AMD's download page for e series Raid drivers:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...d_windows.aspx

Its also the link for the chipset driver downloads which has not been the easiest thing to find.
                      Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Looks like the 8 hot swap NAS box will be some form of Linux or similiar. I currently have two other propietary Linux box NAS boxes running and never really every look at them; as they require very little maintainance.

Just recently shut down a 4 drive NAS 1U box that had dual PS and sounded like a jet engine. This box was running embedded W2003. Another box which I want to shut down is an old Dell server with 4 hot swap mounted in the front drives and 4 inside drives. This box two has two redundant power supplies which sound like jet engines.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                          X