No Neutral, possibly add?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Neutral, possibly add?

There is no neutral wire in my basement switches. Is it possible to add just a neutral wire? If so, can I run it off the plug that is below the switch or do I have to run the wire back up to the fixture?

If the box below is on the same circuit, then yes. It would be worth fishing a new piece of romex and adding a ground if the box below is grounded as well.

Follow all of the local codes, blah blah blah
    Last edited by pbibm; February 14, 2012, 11:02 AM.
    Paul

Comment

Thanks. That is what my dad said to do, but I was worried that they might be on two different circuits. I guess I should listen to him, he wired the basement after all.

Luckily, I can run a neutral from there or to the fixture since the ceiling is open right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
        Thanks. That is what my dad said to do, but I was worried that they might be on two different circuits. I guess I should listen to him, he wired the basement after all.

Luckily, I can run a neutral from there or to the fixture since the ceiling is open right now.
        Sounds good. To be sure, I would trip / pull the breaker and make sure both locations are dead. The reason for bringing it up is not only keeping the breaker panel whole, but I have found that insteon switches really don't like it when two circuits get mixed up, this happened to me in my house where old system met remodeled system. The electrician had goofed.. It was wired wrong, for sure, but Leviton x10 keypads never cared so I never thought to look. I recently replaced the x10 with Insteon, Insteon does not like that.
        Paul

Comment

I noticed that when switching out all my x10 dimmers with Insteon, that some of them I had my grandfather install were wired opposite, so the load was connected to the line, and the line to the load.

When I put in the Insteon switches, not knowing which wires were line/load (they were both black!) some didn't work, but trial and error lead me to figuring it all out. Yeesh!

Comment

Yes, forgot that one too. I have a tester that indicates when its backwards.

Part of my house was built in the 1940s, a lot of the original wiring is all black.
            Paul

Comment

Working...
            X