Trying to identify LED Display Sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to identify LED Display Sign

I am trying to identify the manufacturer of an single line LED Display Sign that i recieved, and more importantly the RS232 format to talk to it.
    I have very little data on this unit, so google has not provided much success. I am hoping that it may match what others have utilized thier HomeSeer systems.

This is the data that I have.
    The unit is a single line indoor display with 15 - 8x8 pixel displays. It looks like it has an IR reciever, and the communications is via an 8 pin (ethernet) jack.
    Just after the "Welcome" message on startup, it shows "E1120C", "V4.12", "30 Sep 2004", and "Addr #1". It then cycles thru the capabilities of the sign showing that it also supports colour.
    Inside the unit, I have identified that it supports modem, 422 and 232 communications via a 2 row 9 pin header (JP5) used for configuration (3 jumpers per option).
    On the board itself there are several identifying marks
    "CST-5EN-B" with a date stamp of "2004-04-20". On the one chip there is a sticker with the following 3 lines of info "7120RG", "V4.12", and "2004.11.xx". this is a hand written sticker so could not determine what the xx was in the date.
    There is also a CR2032 watch battery and several other 2 pin jumpers. SW1 for termination, SW3 (i think for RS232 comms based on tracing the wiring), SW2 marked Password

I really hope someone can shed some light, as I really want to integrate this sign into my system.

Steven

I'm not finding much in the data you have that sounds familiar. Does it look a little like this?

http://ams-i.com/Indoor%20LED%20Sign...Characters.asp

Comment

I take that back. I cycled the power on my big AMS (Adaptive Micro Systems) 4120C sign and it powers up with a pretty similar message. I'm pretty sure that is an AMS sign, and it will almost certainly work with my Snevl BB software (here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=140081). I'm not certain, but I am mostly sure.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
        I take that back. I cycled the power on my big AMS (Adaptive Micro Systems) 4120C sign and it powers up with a pretty similar message. I'm pretty sure that is an AMS sign, and it will almost certainly work with my Snevl BB software (here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=140081). I'm not certain, but I am mostly sure.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried your scripts, as well as the Ledam plugin and Jon00 scripts with no luck. For some reason both your's and Jon00's errors on line 1 indicating an invalid character. The ledam plugin just kept coming back with a timeout for each display type.

The other fact, I am still not sure that I have the jumpers on the board configured correctly either.

Oh the challenges of integration!

Steven

Comment

Is this the sign?

http://www.uslightingproducts.com/Pr...VS_7120RG.html
          Jon

Comment

http://www.adaptivedisplays.com/Documentation/index.php

Karls

Maybe some info here under manuals,spec sheets etc

I'm trying to find a betabrite as well.
            Neil
            Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by karls View Post
              I am trying to identify the manufacturer of an single line LED Display Sign that i recieved, and more importantly the RS232 format to talk to it.
              I have very little data on this unit, so google has not provided much success. I am hoping that it may match what others have utilized thier HomeSeer systems.

This is the data that I have.
              The unit is a single line indoor display with 15 - 8x8 pixel displays. It looks like it has an IR reciever, and the communications is via an 8 pin (ethernet) jack.
              Just after the "Welcome" message on startup, it shows "E1120C", "V4.12", "30 Sep 2004", and "Addr #1". It then cycles thru the capabilities of the sign showing that it also supports colour.
              Inside the unit, I have identified that it supports modem, 422 and 232 communications via a 2 row 9 pin header (JP5) used for configuration (3 jumpers per option).
              On the board itself there are several identifying marks
              "CST-5EN-B" with a date stamp of "2004-04-20". On the one chip there is a sticker with the following 3 lines of info "7120RG", "V4.12", and "2004.11.xx". this is a hand written sticker so could not determine what the xx was in the date.
              There is also a CR2032 watch battery and several other 2 pin jumpers. SW1 for termination, SW3 (i think for RS232 comms based on tracing the wiring), SW2 marked Password

I really hope someone can shed some light, as I really want to integrate this sign into my system.

Steven
              Sure sounds like an AMS/BetaBrite system based on my own experiences with these boards. That said, if it is an older board, chances are that the RJ45 jack is NOT an ethernet jack (unless it is labeled as such). My boards used RJ45 for the serial ports.

AMS used to offer free/trial versions of their software, so check out their download section in case they still do.
              HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
              (aka xplosiv)
              Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Originally posted by electron View Post
                Sure sounds like an AMS/BetaBrite system based on my own experiences with these boards. That said, if it is an older board, chances are that the RJ45 jack is NOT an ethernet jack (unless it is labeled as such). My boards used RJ45 for the serial ports.

AMS used to offer free/trial versions of their software, so check out their download section in case they still do.
                electron is right -Good point. Don't try and plug a live ethernet into that RJ45. You can buy DB9 to RJ45 cables that work with the BetaBrite, and there are several sights that show how to build your own.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by electron View Post
                  That said, if it is an older board, chances are that the RJ45 jack is NOT an ethernet jack (unless it is labeled as such). My boards used RJ45 for the serial ports.

Electron,

Yes the RJ45 jack is definitely used for either Serial or 485 communications, as it gets wired into a max232 chip.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                    Jon00,

Thanks for the link, unfortunately there is too many letters in that sign. I think mine only goes to 15 characters. Too bad there was no specifications on that website for the sign itself.

Steven

Comment

Working...
                    X