CFL bulbs and z-wave switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFL bulbs and z-wave switches

Well I bought a bunch of Phillips CFL bulbs today at Home Depot here in Canada. I bought some 60w and 100w CFLs. When I turn the z-wave switch off, most of the CFLs still seem to flicker a bit. This is very annoying and I assume has to do with the electronics in the switches.

I also bought 2 Phillips LED floodlights to try in my pot lights over my fireplace. These work very well and do not flicker at all when the z-wave switch is off.

Is there anything that can be done to stop the flickering when using the CFLs?

It seems the LED bulbs are better for this but they are so expensive. 1 LED floodlight (40w) cost me $21.95 here.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

It depends on the Load with the switch. I have had some CFL bulbs that do not flicker others flicker if one of the CFL's burn out. I have typically switched over to LED when I run into a CFL that burns out of flickers. I have found that usually the cheaper CFL's are the worst offenders. Strange that Phillips are doing it as well. What zWave switches are you using, and does the higher wattage CFL flicker too?

Comment

I am using the GE/Jasco z-wave switches.
      Even the 100w CFL is flickering. Very annoying.
      I think I am taking them back.
      Cheers,
      Bob

Comment

Bob,

Is the circuit you are putting the CFLs in multiple bulbs per switch? If so, you could put one incadecent bulb in and leave the rest CFL and the flickering should stop, I believe.

What kind of switch are you using? The flickering is because the switch is keeping a small voltage on even when the switch is off. I thought this only happened with the switches that didn't have a neutral wire, but maybe I'm wrong. You really should only be using a relay type of switch with CFLs anyway, which should prevent flickering.

I do have one Leviton switch that is strictly binary but is spec'd only for incadecents, so I assume it doesn't have a relay. It controls a group of four ceiling fixtures, each with two bulbs. I put one incadecent in one of the fixtures and put CFLs in the rest, and it seems to work fine.

I have some ACT relay-type switches elsewhere in the house, and have CFLs only on those. All works fine: No flickering.

Steve

Comment

I don't use Z-Wave so this may not be applicable. I use UPB. I solved this problem by disabling the local on feature of UPB switches (or plug-in modules). Do Z-Wave switches have that capability?

Comment

Originally posted by DC View Post
            I don't use Z-Wave so this may not be applicable. I use UPB. I solved this problem by disabling the local on feature of UPB switches (or plug-in modules). Do Z-Wave switches have that capability?
            That would be great if this would work but I have no idea. Hopefully someone who knows can comment.

I use the GE/Jasco dimmer switches.
            I do have multiple bulbs on each switch. The Phillips Ambient LED ones work perfectly.
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
              Is the circuit you are putting the CFLs in multiple bulbs per switch? If so, you could put one incadecent bulb in and leave the rest CFL and the flickering should stop, I believe.
              Leaving one bulb as incadescent seems to work but is really not ideal. This is a pain. I want to save hydro but it is not cooperating
              Cheers,
              Bob

Comment

DC,

That's an interesting feature of the UPB switches. I was unaware of that. None of my Z-wave switches has such a config item. Yet another place where it seems like UPB is better than Z-wave. Too bad I alreay have so much invested in Z-wave.

Bob,

The fact that you are using the dimmer version is probably a major problem. The CFLs don't dim, and I don't think they are kind to the dimming circuitry in your switch. That does explain why you are seeing this and I haven't been seeing it. All my CFL-only circuits are non-dimming relay switches.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X