Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeon Labs Minimote - Controlling events - Works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeon Labs Minimote - Controlling events - Works!

Hi,

Is there any chance that the Minimote can be programmed in Homeseer to trigger events when pressing scene buttons or the normal buttons?

The Vera devices can do that and also Z-Cloud software.

This would be a great functionality in Homeseer as I can then use it for almost anything from triggering my TV to customized actions.

Any reason why Homeseer can not do it at the moment?

I have tried playing around with the Parameters as per http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device/27 but no luck.

thanks

I'm really interested in doing this as well. I just picked up 4 Minimotes from the HS store and I like most everything about them. The one gripe/issue I'm having could be resolved right away if Homeseer was operating the scenes instead of the Minimotes.

Comment

I am quite interested in the claim about other software packages being able to do what you want, because technically it is not possible unless the software is using bridging to create additional virtual Z-Wave devices, and here is why: The device does not support the scene command classes. I specifically asked Winston (Aeon Labs) if there was any way they could do this and he said it was too late. The reason for my request was this very issue. Devices that use associations will send a command to the associated node, but it does not include information on which button it came from - in other words, there is no difference in pressing button 1 from button 3 in the signal that is sent to HomeSeer, so there is no way to do 4 discrete scenes. HOWEVER, in the link you provided me, it says that the remote is always listening AND supports the binary switch command class - why does a remote support a switch command class? Thus, they may have added the binary switch command class so that there would be a switch to monitor so that it would be known which button was pressed. This is different than how the remote was presented to me at the tradeshow where I discussed it with Aeon, so I will get one and will look at it to see if there is anything we can do with it. The remote always listening is also different from any other remote. I hope the information link you provided is accurate. No promises on when I can get back to you but I will look into it as soon as I get it.
      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Can be important to say here that Minimote device MUST be updated in first place to 1.17 firmware: http://www.aeon-labs.com/site/products/view/3/

Comment

The info I dug up while troubleshooting my network problem seems to suggest the Minimote is programmable through Zwave parameters. I PMed you with some links to data that might be helpful. A few sites suggest that changing the operation mode through parameters will even allow your Zwave controller to differentiate between short and long presses of a given Minimote button, which would be awesome.

Also as posted above, they say firmware 1.17 is required to make this happen, so maybe Aeon tweaked something in that update that expanded the Minimote's functionality.

Comment

Hi Rick,

Have a look at the link below:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.p...ic,8630.0.html

The guys got it working on a Vera gateway, but it looks like you then lose the ability to associate directly with a device. I am getting a Vera for testing next week, will then confirm if this works.

thanks

Comment

Yep - I received the information from another user on how it works and then had practically a realtime conversation with a guy at Aeon via email last night, so we are all set. Because of the way associations work, I had discounted this as not being able to have discrete signals to HomeSeer. The way they are doing it though, while dirty, will work. You could add other devices to be associated with a button in addition to HomeSeer getting the notification, but for several reasons I am not going to make that work - it is going to be much better to have HomeSeer receive the signal and then operate the devices. One advantage is that HomeSeer can do a "true" scene command which would set the lights to a level instantly rather than one at a time, which is the only way the Minimote can do it.

Nonetheless, I will work on this next week.
              Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                Nonetheless, I will work on this next week.
                Awesome!

BTW, the other reason I like Homeseer as the sole event processor is because the device status will be correct all the time for devices with instant status updates. At the moment, my Minimotes are not doing that at all for a variety of instant status update devices (even though manually toggling by touching the switch physically sends the status updates to HS 100% of the time).

Comment

Sounds great currently using Vera 2 with the minimote and not happy with the way that you have to do scripts. Homeseer is much better with it's if then option.

Will you be also looking at the Aeon Labs Multisensor, as I have a couple of them and would like to be able to use them with Homeseer as well.

Look forward to any updates in the near future.

Comment

Just a clarification, we are looking at adding the support for the minimote in HS3, so look for it there!
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If your really in a hurry, i got an answer from someone, but it requires you to buy a really cheap switch that can utilize HS events. You can hide the switch somewhere in the room that you won't see ever and use it to trigger an event when the switch turns on. Though its not a very direct way of using the minimote to trigger events, it still works.

Comment

using minimote with HS

i also got the mm to be a remote control for HS events. i didnt see how to set it up to do that. so from what i see here, it has to be linked to the zwave switch i want to control, or have it send a signal to a zwave appliance device and use that on/off in HS to trigger the events?
                        HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Originally posted by gfs View Post
                          i also got the mm to be a remote control for HS events. i didnt see how to set it up to do that. so from what i see here, it has to be linked to the zwave switch i want to control, or have it send a signal to a zwave appliance device and use that on/off in HS to trigger the events?
                          Correct.

Comment

instrictions were not clear how to do that... dont add to system just copnnect to the appliance?
                            HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

You add the lamp module just as though you were using it to control a lamp/device but you do not have to plugin anything into the outlet. The remote controls the outlet and this in-turn triggers an event in HomeSeer if you poll the lamp module. ie HomeSeer polls the lamp module that you turned on/off with the remote. The results of the poll on or off can be used as a trigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X