Schlage Lever Lock "Becomes Lock Disabled due to Tamper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schlage Lever Lock "Becomes Lock Disabled due to Tamper

I created an event that is triggered when my Schlage Lever Lock "Becomes Lock Disabled due to Tamper". This event is triggered about once every day or every other day, even though there was nothing being done to the lock (this has occurred while I was at home, and noone was near the locks; to be sure my event even takes a picture, and nothing/noone is by the door). I have two Schlage Lever Locks, and they both have this behavior. Has anyone seen this kind of behavior in their Schlage Lever Locks?

Thanks.

I have one of those locks and have not seen that behaviour before. I have an event setup to email me when that happens and have never gotten an email.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be a loose connection on the case. It is very odd that two of them would have that though. Are both doors metal or fiberglass/wood?
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Both doors have a metal layer on top of wood. My events send an email when I get the trigger. I setup the events about a week ago, and have gotten emails on about 4 different occasions while no one was even near the locks. The batteries are about 40% life left, so I would think that's not the issue?

Comment

I just checked HomeSeer for the current status of the child alarm device of my two Schlage Lever Locks. Their status is currently "New Master Code Set". Their status was changed to "New Master Code Set" around the same time (within the same minute) as the time that the event "becomes equal to Lock Disabled due to Tamper" triggered. Again, noone was around the locks at this time. So, it's somewhat strange that (a) the event "becomes equal to Lock Disabled due to Tamper" was triggered and that (b) the current status of the locks' alarm child device is "New Master Code Set". Maybe I'll try to replace the batteries or reboot the locks?

Alternatively, I can just disable the Schlage lever lock events, and rely on the events that I created for my Kwikset Deadbolts. I have Kwikset deadbolts on the same doors that I have the Schlage Lever Locks. I created events that trigger when the Kwikset deadbolts' child alarm device trigger the "Becomes Three Failures at Keypad" trigger. So far, I haven't gotten any false alarms for the Kwikset deadbolts.

In case it matters, I'm using HS-PRO version 2.5.0.52.
        Last edited by randman; April 27, 2012, 08:36 AM. Reason: Added HomeSeer Version

Comment

It sounds like your lock is resetting. Those combination of Messages typically occur on a reset. Try replacing the 9V battery as it might be to weak. Has this always happened or just resently?

-Steve

Comment

Okay, I found a workaround to resolve this Schlage Lever Lock "false alarm" on tamper event issue...

I looked back at the contents of the HomeSeer log whenever I got these false alarms. The logs exhibit the same behavior. Here's the logs for the mudroom lever lock:

4/26/2012 2:45:01 PM - Device Update - Device: 1st Floor Mudroom Mudrm Lvr Lock Alarm value set to 144
            4/26/2012 2:45:05 PM - Device Update - Device: 1st Floor Mudroom Mudrm Lvr Lock Alarm value set to 48
            4/26/2012 2:45:09 PM - Device Update - Device: 1st Floor Mudroom Mudrm Lvr Lock Alarm value set to 96
            4/26/2012 2:45:09 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Tamper - Mudroom Lever Lock"
            ... send email, etc. ...
            4/26/2012 2:45:12 PM - Device Update - Device: 1st Floor Mudroom Mudrm Lvr Lock Alarm value set to 112
            4/26/2012 2:45:20 PM - Device Update - Device: Batteries Mudroom Mudrm Lvr Lock Battery Battery Level 40%

I got the EXACT same behavior for my other Schlage Lever Lock; i.e. the same sequence of events (and followed by battery update):

4/26/2012 4:59:52 PM - Device Update - Device: 1st Floor Living Room Lvng Rm Lvr Lock Alarm value set to 144
            4/26/2012 4:59:55 PM - Device Update - Device: 1st Floor Living Room Lvng Rm Lvr Lock Alarm value set to 48
            4/26/2012 4:59:59 PM - Device Update - Device: 1st Floor Living Room Lvng Rm Lvr Lock Alarm value set to 96
            4/26/2012 4:59:59 PM - Event - Event Trigger "Tamper - Lvng Rm Lever Lock"
            ... send email, etc...
            4/26/2012 5:00:03 PM - Device Update - Device: 1st Floor Living Room Lvng Rm Lvr Lock Alarm value set to 112
            4/26/2012 5:00:11 PM - Device Update - Device: Batteries Living Room Lvng Rm Lvr Lock Battery Battery Level 37%
            4/26/2012 5:01:00 PM - Device Update - Device: Batteries Living Room Lvng Rm Lvr Lock Battery Battery Level 38%

From http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=152074, the status values are:

144: Lock busy at keypad
            48: Lock reset to factory default
            96: Lock disabled due to tamper attempt (this causes my Event to be triggered)
            112: New Master code

Note that the lock's child alarm device gets the 4 above status values one right after the other (with 3 or 4 seconds between each status change). Then, the lock eventually remains with status value 112 (New Master code) indefinitely (at least until a future status change takes place).

So, the lock only has status 96 (tamper attempt status) for about 3 or 4 seconds. However, if I intentially tamper with the locks (i.e. by entering the wrong PIN multiple times in a row), then the lock gets status 96, and REMAINS in status 96 indefinitely (or at least until some other status change occurs in the future).

So, the workaround is: change the trigger from "Becomes Lock Disabled due to Tamper" to: "Lock Disabled due to Tamper for exactly 10 seconds". I suppose I can use "for at least" instead... But the point is that I will only trigger the event if the lock has had the tamper state for a minimum amount of time that is greater than the time it stays in the tamper state when a false alarm occurs (which was only 3 or 4 seconds based on the HomeSeer logs above).

The only slight disadvantage of this workaround is that as soon as the tamper state occurs (and the Schlage lock starts beeping and flashing red), the event will have to wait 10 seconds or so before the event is fired and the event might miss taking a picture of the potential "trouble-maker", in case they walk away.

Note that my locks behave normally, and if it weren't for the events that I created which trigger on "tamper attempt", I wouldn't have noticed anything odd with my locks' behavior.

In case it matters, Z-Wave Node Who Am I reports the following version info for my Schlage lever locks:

2.64 (ZDK Version 5.02 Patch 2) App: 42.37
            Last edited by randman; April 27, 2012, 09:48 AM. Reason: Added lock version info

Comment

Originally posted by stboch View Post
              It sounds like your lock is resetting. Those combination of Messages typically occur on a reset. Try replacing the 9V battery as it might be to weak. Has this always happened or just resently?

-Steve
              I didn't define these events until a week ago. My current battery levels are around 38 to 40%, so I don't know if the issue is due to battery. I can try replacing them and see how if it helps. But at least there's a workaround in the meantime. Note that in the logs I posted above , the status updates are followed by battery level changes (for both locks).

Comment

Working...
              X