Ceiling fan Troubleshooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceiling fan Troubleshooting?

I'm trying to run my ceiling fan from a XPS3 switch. It worked for a number years, over the last three or four months it kind of got sporadic, to the point where it doesn't work at all now. I tried multiple switches, to see if it was the switch. It was not. There's a plug-in 2 feet below the switch that I tried an appliance module in, and it appears to work fine, and it is on the same breaker. I pretty much unplugged everything in the house to see if there's any interference, and it didn't change anything. Any suggestions.

X10 can drive you crazy! There are so many things that interfere, it is extremely difficult to find the source of the X10 signal "sucker". Things like battery chargers (laptop computers) are prime suspects. Also motors can be a source of interference. I took me years to discover that my ceiling fans did not always turn ON/OFF when the furnace fan was running. Compact fluorescents and LED lighting can also cause problems!

There are hundreds of threads on this board regarding X10 interference! It is also possible the ceiling fan itself is causing the problem? Perhaps the motor brushes are wearing out and causing noise?

Good luck hunting....
    Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

It probably is the fan,I was hoping it wasn't. It is 12 years old and runs quite a bit. Is there a way to block the noise from the fan itself.

Comment

Originally posted by kdlklm View Post
        It probably is the fan,I was hoping it wasn't. It is 12 years old and runs quite a bit. Is there a way to block the noise from the fan itself.
        Does the fan work reliably when you control it locally at the switch? If so scoure the house agin for a noise source. Don't forget aging CFL bulbs can get noisy when they age.

Also, does it work reliably when in high speed, but is intermitant only in medium and low settings? Which would indicate a back EMF problem from the motor, but that usually makes the fan come back ON immediately after sent an OFF command.

If the problem is caused by noise from the motor itself (which is rare for a fan motor) it will turn ON reliably but the OFF function will be sporadic. You can use a wire-in filter like the X10 Pro XPF. But my WAG is a failing XPS3.

Comment

the fan works very well, it's very quiet. All the speeds work consistently, if you use it manually. I tried three different switches and they all did the same thing. They would work manually but would not receive X 10 commands. Even though the little appliance module right below the switch worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by kdlklm View Post
            Even though the little appliance module right below the switch worked fine.
            Well gotta admit that sounds like a noise problem. If you are sure the outlet feeds the switch, or on same circuit, then it points to the fan motor being the noise source. But that will be one for my book. Unhook the black wire up in the fan shroud and see if the XPS3 will click again.

Comment

This may be a long shot, but that switch requires a nutral as well. When the conditions are in it's favor, the switch will work without the nutral, but they say it is required.

I always use SwitchLinc switches for X10, I haven't had much luck with the x10 Pro decora switches.
              -Skybolt

Comment

Get one one of the Z-Wave fan controllers and forget the noise.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Will the fan reliably turn on (from off state) with an X10 command? If it does then that could indicate the fan motor as the problem. I agree with Rupp though, if you're having noise issues switching to Z-Wave can make your life a lot easier. That is, unless you have RF noise around 908MHz...
                  HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                  Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                  Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                  Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
                  X