Virtualization and USB over Ethernet devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtualization and USB over Ethernet devices

I've read that some of you are using USB over ethernet hubs. What has your experience been with them, and what are you using? Has anyone used them with USB sound cards? I'm considering adding this to my setup, but since HS is virtualized I don't want to use a real USB hub (stability issues). I'm trying to determine if I can reliably run multiple USB sound cards with a USB over Ethernet hub for zoned audio. My other option is to use a dedicated Windows PC just for the audio (JRMC) which I would prefer not to do.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

I use a Belkin ethernet-usb adapter. It's got 2 RFXCom interfaces, a USBUIRT and a no-name sound card for Homeseer anouncements connected to it. These are all pretty reliable, although the sound card sometimes seems to disconnect for no apparent reason.

I did try to use 2 hubs with 2 extra sound blaster cards to use as zones with JRMC, but I couldn't get them to work reliably. In the end I decided that a cheap DLNA capable receiver in each zone was a simpler answer, with one usb sound card output direct from the JRMC PC for the main zone.

Could you not use the USB ports on the host computer and pass them to the virtual Homeseer PC?

Comment

Originally posted by billt View Post
      Could you not use the USB ports on the host computer and pass them to the virtual Homeseer PC?
      Thanks for the input. My experience with USB passthrough has not been all that great in the past. I've had devices disconnect, and devices come up in different locations after a reboot (i.e. virtual COM port was COM3, now it's COM4).
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
        Thanks for the input. My experience with USB passthrough has not been all that great in the past. I've had devices disconnect, and devices come up in different locations after a reboot (i.e. virtual COM port was COM3, now it's COM4).
        AFAIK it's everything happening after the USB layer that determines what COM port a device might get (e.g., the driver or other software). I only mention this because changing the USB transport may not address your problem.

With VMWare Workstation, all my USB problems went away when I gave VMWare the USB device IDs to always passthrough/connect to each virtual host I wanted them on... but I'm also not doing anything as USB intensive as running a few soundcards.

Comment

Working...
        X