Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless security system for new home?

Hello,
    I recently bought a new home and was curious on installing a wireless security system.
    I want a z-wave control panel and am a little lost on where to start.

There is no wired sensors so i figured wireless is my best option.
    I got an idea from a co-worker to use z-wave and homeseer.

Can someone suggest a good wireless control panel that i can integrate with homeseer.
    I thought about the 2Gig Go!control wireless security system without GSM and integrate something like this to homeseer to send me messages/emails but doesnt sound like it integrates. The reason without GSM is i would rather spend $20/month on internet connection instead of GSM service (as i tether from my cell phone now for internet, have no phone service either).
    Am i on the right track with a wireless system with wireless sensors and alarms or should i just buy sensors and alarms without a controller to arm/disarm..

Sorry but im new to this and any info would be appreciated to get me on the right track. I plan to purchase HSpro, which controller would i need for the PC to work with a control panel, same one that works with all z-wave products such as z-troller?

I also ran across micasaverde but that sounds in place of the homeseer application.

Ideally i want to control my lights and locks and other stuff in future but need a security system asap as i was recently robbed.

Thanks for your input.

You're gonna get a bunch of opinions on this. Some even quite informative .

I'm getting ready to do this myself. I've been an HS user for about 10 years. I had a DSC (not integrated with HS) system a while back and really liked it. Simple, cheap, reliable, and now there's integration with HS. I'll prolly go this route.

You could likely find a new installation deal somewhere, let them do the install and at least you are protected. Then do the HS integration stuff later. That's going to be a bit of a geeky thing to set up and will take some time and effort to get it right. If you were already familiar with HS I'd say go for the whole thing, but you have a bit of a learning curve.

I've been using Jon's ACRF2 plugin for a few years, but his latest beta broke me and I'm having some difficulty getting support, so while the concept is good and works well when it works, I can't recommend that now.

Regards
    Michael
    Regards,
    Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

Yep, DSC systems are good and inexpensive and there are two plugins that integrate well with HomeSeer.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The HS DSC plugin is rock solid now.

That is what we deploy and it works VERY well.
        Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

here is what Fuddy was saying..

i use Concord 4.. love it.. plugin is not fully done as the guys are waiting for the source code to get crackin at it.. but the plugin does a lot now and is freeeeeeeee

anywho... 94 wireless zones supported, wired zones, etc..

i do see in your requirements you want zwave.. dont think there is a zwave alarm yet... i say yet because of verizon, comcast and adt now doing home automation, alarms and it is zwave... but for us... nothing that i am aware of yet
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Same boat as Tele... waiting for the plugin to be released as open source so we can work on it.

I like my ConcordX AS and the GE wireless sensors have been 100% reliable. OK, the wl/Carbon Mono was a piece of junk, kept going off but other than that, works great integrated with HS...

Matt

Comment

I'm a newbie in pretty much the same boat, so here's an ignorant add-on question:

Why the recommendations for a stand alone security system instead of just integrating zwave door and window sensors into a HS2 system? Is there something about the standalone systems like DSC that is more robust or cheaper to implement?

Comment

Originally posted by garrisont View Post
                I'm a newbie in pretty much the same boat, so here's an ignorant add-on question:

Why the recommendations for a stand alone security system instead of just integrating zwave door and window sensors into a HS2 system? Is there something about the standalone systems like DSC that is more robust or cheaper to implement?
                I'm looking at doing this as well. We will have the 3 in 1 sensors (motion/light/temp) and use those for light and occupancy detection when un armed.

but when armed, i'll use it for movement sensing.. and add door sensors and IP cameras later on...

in terms of the alarm, either sms / email to owners PLUS a homeseer compatible siren of some sort...

Comment

Originally posted by garrisont View Post
                  Yes, a standalone alarm panel is much more reliable than HomeSeer ever can be. A dedicated alarm is a single purpose device with no operating system, hard drive, etc. to have problems. They are also designed to run off battery power for sometimes days at a time. I'd recommend you look at one of the compatible alarm panels and integrate it into HomeSeer and not try to make HomeSeer your security system.
                  HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                  Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                  Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                  Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
                    Yes, a standalone alarm panel is much more reliable than HomeSeer ever can be. A dedicated alarm is a single purpose device with no operating system, hard drive, etc. to have problems. They are also designed to run off battery power for sometimes days at a time. I'd recommend you look at one of the compatible alarm panels and integrate it into HomeSeer and not try to make HomeSeer your security system.
                    good advice - thanks. I was moving towards using homeseer because I was going to have z-wave motion detection throughout the house anyway.

Comment

+1

Comment

Working...
                      X