No announcement yet.

Solid State Crash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My issue is that many of the new PC's do not have a PCI slot, only PCI express slots, and I need one for my Delta Sound Card (which I am not willing to give up, as it is the heart of my multi-zone audio system).

I have thought about getting a second SSD as a backup - Amazon has a deal on a 60gig for $50 today. Going to buy it - worst case scenario is that I wind up with two 60gig drives that I can swap if this happens again.

Comment

The SSD doesn't happen to b a Crucial M4 does it.

I have one in my homeseer box and started getting BSOD's after about an hours uptime, so rebuilt the OS but still had the same issue.

I then looked at Crucial's support site and saw that there is a 5000 hour bug in the earlier versions of the firmware.

Fired up ssdlife and guess what the drive had 5200 hours uptime.

Updated the drive's firmware and no more BSOD's.

Comment

The drive is, in fact, a Crucial drive. I checked and I purchased the drive on October 27th and it was delivered to me on the 28th and probably installed the next day. According to my original post, the drive started crapping out around the 1st or 2nd, which is 216 or 217 days. At 24 hours a day, that comes out to 5184 or 5208 hours.

I don't think that is a coincidence... Thank you SO MUCH for the response Brian.

I am still going through with ordering the second 60gig drive for $50 - I may just see if I can RAID the two for redundency purposes.

Comment

From Crucial's support area:

Release Date: 01/13/2012
          Change Log:
          •Changes made in version 0002 (m4 can be updated to revision 0309 directly from either revision 0001, 0002, or 0009)
          Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive.
          This firmware update is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for drives in the field. Although the failure mode due to the SMART Power On Hours counter poses no risk to saved user data, the failure mode can become repetitive, and pose a nuisance to the end user. If the end user has not yet observed this failure mode, this update is required to prevent it from happening.
          If you are using a SAS Expander please do not download this Firmware. As soon as we have a Firmware Update that will work in these applications we will release it.

Comment

I'm currently not utilizing SSD's for HS but did put in hotswap dual 2.5" bays in the two Foxconn builds. This making it easy to swap drives with different HS builds on different OS's. IE you purchased two SATA SSD's. With the hotswap 3.5" bay (if you have one available) you can duplicate SSD#1 to SSD#2. If one fails you can can just insert SSD #2 and reboot.
            Attached Files
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Well it is confirmed - it was the firmware. I got home last night and updated it and the box is back to running without a hitch. For some reason I have lost some of my devices (Caddx plugin devices), and I'm having an issue connecting HSTouch, but I think it's just a matter of tweaking.

Pete, can you explain the backplate DIY?

Comment

I just got burned by the Crucial M4 5000 hour bug on my system. The drive would unmount itself and would not be visual to the system until a cold boot. Firmware upgrade resolved the issue
                Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Everything turn out ok there Randy?
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yes it did Pete. As you can imagine, it was fun to troubleshoot as the SSD drive would always passed disk checks.
                    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Solid State Crash?

Hmm, I have some M4s. I better do updates this weekend too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Randy; here installed now some 5 ZIF SSD 16Gb (very cheap) drives inside of the Jogglers. Pushing them running them 24/7 these days a few months (?)

Pete, can you explain the backplate DIY?
                        GadgetBoySI,

I apologize; never saw your question.

I had to modify the case. It originally had a full sized mini atx power supply that went to the back of the case. I went with a Pico PSU that utilizes a 12VDC brick. That said I made a metal back plate and drilled a small hole in it to mount the barrel connector for the coaxial power supply plug. I built a similiar box for Gordon (Gogs) and added another RS-232 9 pin plug in a similiar back plate.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have 4 of the Crucial M4 drives in my systems. I upgraded 3 of them successfully, but the drive on my production HomeSeer system failed before I could even attempt the upgrade. I had to move the drive to the first SATA port in order to start the upgrade, but the drive was never detected. It is dead

Comment

Someone in this thread was asking about how to image a drive. So far the easiest free software I've found to do it is:

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

imaged a laptop, while it was running, to an external drive. The external drive was bigger, so the software automatically extended the partition size appropriately. Then I shut down the laptop, swapped the hard drive, and up it came as if nothing had changed. It was pretty seamless...

Comment

Working...
                            X