Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Single Coolest Thing You Do with HomeSeer?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enable my OCD

So first there is the HVAC. HS manages the thermostats and corrects adjustments people that do not pay the bills might make. Additionally it will compensate for high humidity turning the AC down a bit and if the temprature outside is more than 10 degrees colder than the house it will turn the AC off and fire up a house fan that is alot cheaper to run.

Polices some assorted devices that others always leave on. Computers (thank you Jon00), xBox and the TV attached, vanity lights.

Controls my pool. I already have the lights, pool pump and salt generator all hooked up. I just got the valve actuator for my solar heaters hooked up to turn on when the sun hits them and off when it sets. This is very handy since they act like a radiator thus loose alot of heat if they run without sunlight. After that I will also be automating my waterfall valve to turn up on the weekend and down during the week since I loose more water when it is on full.

Is multi-lingual. This I litterally just finished after alot of hair pulling. By using MS translator I have made it so annoucements and reminders can be made in different languages. Since multiple people in my family only speak spanish and our cleaning lady speaks mostly polish this will be very helpful. Once I get my occupancy sensors down pat (again props to Jon00) I will actually be able to determin what languages I need to use at any specific time in any specific zone.

Not bad for purchasing it about 6 months ago, HS rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by sharrisct25 View Post
      Controls my pool. I already have the lights, pool pump and salt generator all hooked up. I just got the valve actuator for my solar heaters hooked up to turn on when the sun hits them and off when it sets. This is very handy since they act like a radiator thus loose alot of heat if they run without sunlight.
      Really impressive! Would you mind please sharing what valve actuators you used for your solar heaters and how you controlled them, as this is a project I have in mind myself. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      All Z-Wave 90+, HT S2, HS 2.5.052 & SmartStick
      Any interest in a Mid-Atlantic meet? Voice your opinion in forum - US Regional MAHUG!
      All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Can not take the credit

Got all my guidance from this thread. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=154609

I am using the simplehome IO device and plug-in sends voltage to a relay and then to the the actuator (Intermatic) that redirects water up through the solar panels. I currently use a insteon based sensor to detect light on the roof but I am trading that out to the new zwave one that I hope will be better and more reliable. The pump itself, the lights, and salt system are all on regular insteon switches so that is simple.

You can see that the thread has alot more detail from somebody that has done much more work with this than I.

I can tell you 1 thing and that is be carefull if you are buying the ezio. Not all of the ones out there come with the required PLM so you may think you found a deal and then end up returning. I feel into that trap.

Comment

I went through this thread and cherry-picked some of the cooler entries. I've listed them in bullet points in the first post of the thread. FYI

BTW, keep adding more of these as you think of them... I will update periodically.

ALSO, if anyone would like to product a "How-To" or instructional video for any of these, we would be happy to host it in our YouTube channel or here in the How-To section of the board.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by sharrisct25 View Post
            Got all my guidance from this thread. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=154609

I am using the simplehome IO device and plug-in sends voltage to a relay and then to the the actuator (Intermatic) that redirects water up through the solar panels. I currently use a insteon based sensor to detect light on the roof but I am trading that out to the new zwave one that I hope will be better and more reliable. The pump itself, the lights, and salt system are all on regular insteon switches so that is simple.

You can see that the thread has alot more detail from somebody that has done much more work with this than I.

I can tell you 1 thing and that is be carefull if you are buying the ezio. Not all of the ones out there come with the required PLM so you may think you found a deal and then end up returning. I feel into that trap.
            Great, thanks, this will hugely help with my research and planning!
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            All Z-Wave 90+, HT S2, HS 2.5.052 & SmartStick
            Any interest in a Mid-Atlantic meet? Voice your opinion in forum - US Regional MAHUG!
            All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
              I went through this thread and cherry-picked some of the cooler entries. I've listed them in bullet points in the first post of the thread. FYI

BTW, keep adding more of these as you think of them... I will update periodically.

ALSO, if anyone would like to product a "How-To" or instructional video for any of these, we would be happy to host it in our YouTube channel or here in the How-To section of the board.
              Is there a guide, or walkthrough on how to do something like this?

My stumbling block is, I do not know HOW to make the video for a how-To. That's why all of my how-tos were text posts.

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Trash / Rubbish Bin Reminder

This may have been mentioned before. I use HS to remind me when the trash (rubbish in New Zealand) needs to be taken out.

An infrared beam is used to detect if the bins are in. On Tuesday evening if the bins are still in HS reminds me it's rubbish day tomorrow. If I arm the alarm on Wednesday morning and the bins are still in it reminds me again.

I have the a few IR beams (drive way, trach cans) connected via WebControl modules. These are fantastic, cheap, responsive and reliable GPIO devices that interface extremely well via mcsXap.

Marty
                iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                  Is there a guide, or walkthrough on how to do something like this?

My stumbling block is, I do not know HOW to make the video for a how-To. That's why all of my how-tos were text posts.

--Dan
                  Not affiliated in any way - Jing can be a great free tool for focused videos. You are limited to five minute videos. I used to use this a lot for training videos for our staff.

Brian

Comment

Refrigerator Door Alarm

I have a refrigerator and the freezer door sometimes does not shut completely. The gasket rubs and leaves about a 1/4 - 1/2 gap. If it sits that way the compressor tries to compensate for the loss of cool and it ends up shutting down until the next auto defrost cycle that could be as much as 12 hours. (Known Samsung issue.)

After several "thaws" and lost food I put a modified magnetic sensor on the freezer door. If it stays open more than 4 minutes Homeseer it sends an alert to my iPhone via an app called Prowl. I have been known to call my wife from work and tell her the freezer is not shut.

Prowl on the iPhone is activated via push services and it will receive the notification within 8 seconds of the event sensed by Homeseer even when on a cellular connection. Prowl can respond with a variety of alerts from vibrate to "scream" based on the code sent. I have some things that just vibrate with no noise and others that "scream" for up to one minute until I respond.

Comment

Originally posted by mstrickland View Post
                      I have a refrigerator and the freezer door sometimes does not shut completely. The gasket rubs and leaves about a 1/4 - 1/2 gap. If it sits that way the compressor tries to compensate for the loss of cool and it ends up shutting down until the next auto defrost cycle that could be as much as 12 hours. (Known Samsung issue.)

After several "thaws" and lost food I put a modified magnetic sensor on the freezer door. If it stays open more than 4 minutes Homeseer it sends an alert to my iPhone via an app called Prowl. I have been known to call my wife from work and tell her the freezer is not shut.

Prowl on the iPhone is activated via push services and it will receive the notification within 8 seconds of the event sensed by Homeseer even when on a cellular connection. Prowl can respond with a variety of alerts from vibrate to "scream" based on the code sent. I have some things that just vibrate with no noise and others that "scream" for up to one minute until I respond.

This sounds cool. How is the connection made between the sensor and HS

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                      HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
                      2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
                      USB UIRT
                      Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
                      WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
                      HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                      HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
                      2GIG Thermostat
                      BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                      BLUPS
                      UltraLog (SQL2008)
                      Jon00 Plugins
                      Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
                      Global Cache IP2IR
                      Foscam FI8918W

Comment

I use Prowl for all kinds of notifications, but initially installed it to notify me when the doorbell rings. Depending on where I am in the house I may not hear the bell. My coworkers think it's cool too that I hear my doorbell ring 1000 miles away when I'm traveling.
                        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Frige alarm

Sorry for the slow reply.

The sensor on the freezer is just a DSB04100-ZWUS Aeon Labs Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor but a bit customized.

I found that it would not repeat exactly on the same door position so I ended up with a different plain old magnetic door/window sensor that would close a contact. The one I bought seemed to be more accurate than the permanent magnet with the Aeon switch. I created an electro magnet that is powered by an old small plug in wall transformer that is triggered by the magnetic switch. The electro magnet is used in place of the permanent magnet and triggers the Z-Wave just as if the permanent magnet got closer or moved away. When the door is closed the electromagnet is off so it won't get hot. That makes the sense of the Z-Wave switch logically backward but it really did not matter.

At first I tried to make something mechanical with a lever that "amplified" the movement of the last 1/2 inch of door closure. I was going to mount the permanent magnet on the lever and have it trip the Z-Wave sensor. I think that would have worked but I just did not have the machine tools to create something rigid enough to be reliable.

I saves a "thaw" about once a month now. Like reidfo and the door bell (below) my coworkers think it is odd when my phone goes off and I tell them I have to call home to tell my wife to close the freezer door.

Comment

Here is a different approach to monitor your Fridg or Freezer:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...399#post864399

Steve Q
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Car port, gates and car - automatics

My 3 doors car port is now fully automated.
                              PIR's outside automatically open doors if person walks up to car port.
                              Only the doors with cars in open.
                              When we drive into the courtyard throught the gates - the correct car port door (with empty space) opens up.

Inside when entering the car port with the car - my Ultra Sound distance sensor pics up a car is incomming and a screen in the end wall with HSTouch displays distance to end wall until the car is in the right distance from the end wall. My wife likes the distance to wall indicators on the HST screen - "it's like entering the car wash hall". After 3 min. of inactivity in the car port with a new car in it - doors closes etc.

When leaving with the cars the HSTouch screens diplays road temperature, traffic cam, meteo-warnings, and the latest 3 news headlines. At the same time the gates start to open for quick exit.

Bluetooth (5 Jon00 clients) is used to gather how many cars and persons are at home - and gates are locked if nobody is home. Pictures are taken all the time cars go in and out - and if we are not home send with mail.

In the middle of the gates driving out to the main road overview to the left and right is difficult. I therefore have IR beams across the road on each corner of our property - to send warning signal to the driver of the car. Only problem is at mist - the beams can not reach across the road to the reflector

Best,
                              Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                                X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                                Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                                Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                                Scripts =
                                Various

Comment

Working...
                                X