Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the whole thing...

Hi there,

I'm just getting my feet wet in the whole HA arena, and I'm, well... worried with what I have accomplished thus far.

I ended up having a monitored security system installed by Vivint awhile back, and started a small Z-Wave network of about a half dozen devices as part of the installation of said solution.

I've since become more interested, and have purchased a couple Aeon Las Z sticks, and I'm evaluating the HomeSeer software.

My absolute number one challenge is currently trying to get a Z-Stick to .. join(?) the existing Vivint Z-Wave network so I can exact control over the small amount of devices I already have. So far I think I've succeeded in wiping out the Z-Wave configuration on the Go Control panel... terrific

Any advice? What should I read? Where should I look?

Thanks for your time :-/

Scott.

Originally posted by ctrlbreak View Post
    Hi there,

I'm just getting my feet wet in the whole HA arena, and I'm, well... worried with what I have accomplished thus far.

I ended up having a monitored security system installed by Vivint awhile back, and started a small Z-Wave network of about a half dozen devices as part of the installation of said solution.

I've since become more interested, and have purchased a couple Aeon Las Z sticks, and I'm evaluating the HomeSeer software.

My absolute number one challenge is currently trying to get a Z-Stick to .. join(?) the existing Vivint Z-Wave network so I can exact control over the small amount of devices I already have. So far I think I've succeeded in wiping out the Z-Wave configuration on the Go Control panel... terrific

Any advice? What should I read? Where should I look?

Thanks for your time :-/

Scott.
    Right now you probably have you Vivint system as the Master controller for your ZWave network. You would therefore need to include your Aeon ZWave stick into your Vivint ZWave network as a secondary controller.

I'm not familiar with Vivint, but I imagine you would have to go through the following two steps:
    1) Put your Vivint network in Include mode; Have HS send an Include signal (do this from the Tools/Manage ZWave Controller page). This will include HS in the overall ZWave network

2) Do a Replicate Send from Vivint and a corresponding Replicate Receive from HS (same page). This will let HS know about the devices in the Vivint network and they shoudl start appearing in HS.

Good luck ...
    Nicolai L

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I'm not alone!

Curiously, I've been trying to do the same thing. My issue is, I can't seem to figure out how to perform a replicate send from the Vivint panel?!?

I think the first time I tried this, I used Learn Controller. It then informed me that it was trying to make the Vivint Panel a secondary controller, and that it failed.

Then all the devices were gone :-(

Comment

I think I managed to get the Z-Stick included!

Using HomeSeers "Include" function within the interface menu for the Z-Stick wouldn't evoke *ANY* response on the Vivint panel. BUT... if I went to "add device" on the Vivint panel, and tried a "Replicate Receive" within HS, the panel suddenly saw it and added it as a STATIC_CONTROLLER!!!

so... once again, I am making progress.

I'm not sold on HS/HSPRO yet... but I have 20 some days left to try and figure this all out!

Comment

I think I managed to get the Z-Stick included!
          I'm not sold on HS/HSPRO yet... but I have 20 some days left to try and figure this all out!
          What are the main things you hope to accomplish? I think you'll find that the community here is very open to helping, especially with folks new to HomeSeer. If you post a list of things you'd like to do, along with any challenges, we could help you get the hang of HomeSeer well before your 30 day trial is up.

Enjoy!
          Reid
          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Well, essentially, I want to expand my Home Automation well beyond what is currently capable with the Vivint setup.

I went out and purchased a bunch of smart appliance meters and a panel meter from Aeon Labs, as well as other miscellaneous parts / relays.

Eventually I want to tie it in with several other systems for IR/Remote control of devices, Video Surveillance, etc...

My issue is that my Vivint panel kept locking up and Vivint basically told me that I couldn't use Z-Wave devices they didn't sell (which is quite limited). This is NOT what the sales person told me before I signed a contract .

So, ultimately, what I'd _like_ to do is maintain two separate Z-Wave networks if at all possible. A Vivint one that would contain all of my original nodes, with addition of 1 single Z-Stick on the end that I hope Vivint won't give me grief over (and won't lock up their panel!!) so I can still exact *immediate* control over the appliance switches/dimmers and whatnot for elaborate scene setups. This way the others that live in this household could still use Vivint's typical iPhone/Android apps to access what they are used to (with it's horrendous 5-6 second, serialized, cellular roundtrip times).

There are practically *hundreds* of things I want to try, but I'm finding out it's a pretty complicated dance to actually get all this stuff working together.

I'm trying to read as much as I can get my hands on regarding Z-Wave in general, and have contemplated acquiring a Zensys SDK package (but I have a feeling it would be quite expensive).

There are certain things right now where I can't tell if my setup is busted, or it's a shortcoming with the device, or something else is faulty.

I'm finding it quite difficult to "start over" in HS, as I now get strange... anomalies... on the device "status" page... like it's confusing previous device attributes with other nodes on the network?

http://i.imgur.com/lUsA9.png

... and for whatever reason... I can't seem to do a full optimize?

=======================================================

Starting Z-Wave node neighbor update for all Z-Wave devices...
            There are approximately 7 nodes to optimize.

Optimizing node 7 (Z-Wave Z-Wave Left Blacklight)...... ... Done. The operation did not succeed, Add Return Route was not attempted. Check the log for any additional information.
            Node 7 Neighbor Status: 5 Neighbors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 10

Optimizing node 6 (Z-Wave Z-Wave On/Off Outlet)...... Done. The operation did not succeed, Add Return Route was not attempted. Check the log for any additional information.
            Node 6 Neighbor Status: 4 Neighbors: 2, 7, 9, 10

Optimizing node 10 (Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Dimmer Switch)...... ... Done. The operation did not succeed, Add Return Route was not attempted. Check the log for any additional information.
            Node 10 Neighbor Status: 6 Neighbors: 1, 2, 6, 7, 9, 14

Optimizing node 9 (Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Dimmer Switch)...... Done. The optimization was successful, Add Return Route was not done.
            Node 9 Neighbor Status: 6 Neighbors: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 10

Optimizing node 4 (Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface )...... ... ... Done. The optimization was successful, Add Return Route was not done.
            Node 4 Neighbor Status: 6 Neighbors: 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 14

Optimizing node 3 (Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Thermostat 3)...... ... ... ... Done. The optimization was successful, Add Return Route was not done.
            Node 3 Neighbor Status: 5 Neighbors: 1, 2, 4, 9, 14

Optimizing node 2 (Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Binary Switch)...... Done. The optimization was successful, Add Return Route was not done.
            Node 2 Neighbor Status: 6 Neighbors: 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, 14
            Optimization complete. Reloading the interface cache...

6/24/2012 6:04:29 PM - Z-Wave - Starting Z-Wave node neighbor update for all Z-Wave devices...
            6/24/2012 6:04:29 PM - Z-Wave Warning - Device Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Static Controller 1 (1) will not be optimized because it is a controller.
            6/24/2012 6:04:29 PM - Z-Wave - Instructing node # 7,Z-Wave Z-Wave Left Blacklight, to re-discover its neighbors using the MAIN Z-Wave interface...
            6/24/2012 6:04:29 PM - Z-Wave - Optimization of node 7 successfully started...
            6/24/2012 6:04:41 PM - Warning - Unable to optimize node 7, Z-Wave Z-Wave Left Blacklight, the node neighbor update failed. (E/A=00:00:12.3313658/00:00:21)
            6/24/2012 6:04:46 PM - Z-Wave - Instructing node # 6,Z-Wave Z-Wave On/Off Outlet, to re-discover its neighbors using the MAIN Z-Wave interface...
            6/24/2012 6:04:46 PM - Z-Wave - Optimization of node 6 successfully started...
            6/24/2012 6:04:53 PM - Warning - Unable to optimize node 6, Z-Wave Z-Wave On/Off Outlet, the node neighbor update failed. (E/A=00:00:07.0399822/00:00:21)
            6/24/2012 6:04:57 PM - Z-Wave - Instructing node # 10,Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Dimmer Switch, to re-discover its neighbors using the MAIN Z-Wave interface...
            6/24/2012 6:04:57 PM - Z-Wave - Optimization of node 10 successfully started...
            6/24/2012 6:05:10 PM - Warning - Unable to optimize node 10, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Dimmer Switch, the node neighbor update failed. (E/A=00:00:12.8502719/00:00:21)
            6/24/2012 6:05:14 PM - Z-Wave - Instructing node # 9,Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Dimmer Switch, to re-discover its neighbors using the MAIN Z-Wave interface...
            6/24/2012 6:05:14 PM - Z-Wave - Optimization of node 9 successfully started...
            6/24/2012 6:05:21 PM - Z-Wave - Device 9, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Dimmer Switch successfully optimized.
            6/24/2012 6:05:25 PM - Z-Wave - Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 9, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Dimmer Switch...
            6/24/2012 6:05:27 PM - Z-Wave - Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 9, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Dimmer Switch: Result=ARR_Not_Done
            6/24/2012 6:05:27 PM - Z-Wave - Instructing node # 4,Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface , to re-discover its neighbors using the MAIN Z-Wave interface...
            6/24/2012 6:05:27 PM - Z-Wave - Optimization of node 4 successfully started...
            6/24/2012 6:05:39 PM - Z-Wave - Device 4, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface successfully optimized.
            6/24/2012 6:05:43 PM - Z-Wave - Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 4, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface ...
            6/24/2012 6:05:59 PM - Z-Wave - Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 4, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface : Result=ARR_Not_Done
            6/24/2012 6:05:59 PM - Z-Wave - Instructing node # 3,Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Thermostat 3, to re-discover its neighbors using the MAIN Z-Wave interface...
            6/24/2012 6:05:59 PM - Z-Wave - Optimization of node 3 successfully started...
            6/24/2012 6:06:12 PM - Z-Wave - Device 3, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Thermostat 3 successfully optimized.
            6/24/2012 6:06:16 PM - Z-Wave - Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 3, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Thermostat 3...
            6/24/2012 6:06:31 PM - Z-Wave - Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 3, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Thermostat 3: Result=ARR_Not_Done
            6/24/2012 6:06:31 PM - Z-Wave - Instructing node # 2,Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Binary Switch, to re-discover its neighbors using the MAIN Z-Wave interface...
            6/24/2012 6:06:31 PM - Z-Wave - Optimization of node 2 successfully started...
            6/24/2012 6:06:35 PM - Z-Wave - Device 2, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Binary Switch successfully optimized.
            6/24/2012 6:06:39 PM - Z-Wave - Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 2, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Binary Switch...
            6/24/2012 6:06:40 PM - Z-Wave - Removing and Adding Return Routes for Device 2, Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Z-Wave Binary Switch: Result=ARR_Not_Done
            6/24/2012 6:06:40 PM - Z-Wave - Done Z-Wave node neighbor update for all Z-Wave devices, the following nodes failed: 7 6 10, and the following nodes were skipped: 1

Well, so far... I've burned a weekend on this :-P

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
              . If you post a list of things you'd like to do, along with any challenges, we could help you get the hang of HomeSeer well before your 30 day trial is up.
              I've posted a few larger posts, but they've been moderated? How long does that typically take? :-P

Comment

I've posted a few larger posts, but they've been moderated? How long does that typically take? :-P
                Rupp is usually pretty quick about releasing new posts.
                Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Ahhh.. it appears they're there now :-)

Comment

I have a question... and I'm not sure it's been asked before?

Can I maintain two logically separate Z-Wave networks (diff. HomeIDs) with HSPRO?

Comment

Yes you can with multiple Z-Trollers. There are a few threads on here discussing that.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
                        Yes you can with multiple Z-Trollers. There are a few threads on here discussing that.
                        What about multiple USB Z-Sticks? Has anyone attempted that?

Comment

Yeahhhhhhhh....

Comment

No one has any comment on any of the strangeness I've documented via screenshot in HSPRO?

Comment

Well, essentially, I want to expand my Home Automation well beyond what is currently capable with the Vivint setup.

I went out and purchased a bunch of smart appliance meters and a panel meter from Aeon Labs, as well as other miscellaneous parts / relays.

Eventually I want to tie it in with several other systems for IR/Remote control of devices, Video Surveillance, etc...

My issue is that my Vivint panel kept locking up and Vivint basically told me that I couldn't use Z-Wave devices they didn't sell (which is quite limited). This is NOT what the sales person told me before I signed a contract .
                              This is going to be the problem with all these cable/security companies. "You can only use what we support" is total BS and completely against the whole z-wave philosohy and maybe license agreement. I would e-mail z-wave.org and inform them

This is the kind of cr*p you have to deal with using zigbee, because different vendors build their own upper layers of the protocol stack. All z-wave devices use the same protocol stack. (Some ay have features that are nto supported by some devices - e.g. beaming), but other than that all devices should interoperate.

All these companies want is you recurring monthly revenue and to sell you their overpriced stuff

I wouldn;t touch them with a barge pole

My 2-cents

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                              HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
                              2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
                              USB UIRT
                              Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
                              WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
                              HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                              HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
                              2GIG Thermostat
                              BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                              BLUPS
                              UltraLog (SQL2008)
                              Jon00 Plugins
                              Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
                              Global Cache IP2IR
                              Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Working...
                              X