Dimming after incandescents go away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimming after incandescents go away

What is everyone planning to do about dimming when incandescent bulbs go away?

Regards
    Michael
    Regards,
    Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

I rarely dim any lights but when I do I use dimmable CFL's or LED's.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

I don't use CFL's but have a couple of test LED bulbs. I use dimming extensively and so far have not found a LED bulb that gives a nice smooth dim. There are some that dim but it's more in steps but they have gotten better in the last two years.

I also have a more or less lifetime supply of incandescent bulbs stored away in case they never get it right.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

We're testing some Philips LED bulbs with various switches here. We'll post the results when we've finished testing. It's encouraging. The newest bulbs are bright and do dim, although dimming permormance is not yet on par with incandescent bulbs.
        Learn About HomeSeer

Comment

Like Marty, I dim, and HS dims, my lights all time. I have considerable stock for all my incandescents (3 spares for every bulb) that should last at least ten years, especially since the bulbs last a lot longer when dimmed. By that time, I expect there will be suitable replacements.

Kevin

Comment

Pretty sure that legislation went away. So, I do not think you are going to have to switch IMMEDIATELY.

I've been using the Utilitech bulbs from Lowes. I found the "equivalent" bulb at Homedepot would actually translate the UPB signals to LIGHT-flickering.

This is the one I have deployed in specific areas around the house:
            http://www.lowes.com/pd_338802-75774...RL=&facetInfo=

I have the 60W version, have not been as happy with it. That 40W, is about 90% of a 60W incandescent. It seems to dim pretty smoothly using UPB. Nightwalker, maybe the bulbs you have tried do not like the technology of your automation interfaces?

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I hope to see LED dimming protocols standardized in the next few years to allow dimmer manufacturers to design reliable dimmers.

In the mean time, halogen bulbs will continue to be sold. So incandescent bulbs are not going to disappear. It's just the really cheap, most inefficient ones that might not be available much longer. (I suspect the manufacturers have largely stopped making them and are just selling off inventory in anticipation that they will eventually be banned.)
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

GLS Halogen bulbs work very well, also Philips and others make dimmable LED bulbs although they are expencive, but so far I have had 3 100W equivilent LED bulbs in the drive for over a year now without replacing them.

Of course having said that they will blow tonight.
                sigpic
                A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Gogs,

Following your threads is like a soap opera. I hope against it, but I suspect you are right. Better stop at the store and pickup two new bulbs.

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    I hope to see LED dimming protocols standardized in the next few years to allow dimmer manufacturers to design reliable dimmers.
                    I wouldn't hold my breath on this.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                      Gogs,

Following your threads is like a soap opera. I hope against it, but I suspect you are right. Better stop at the store and pickup two new bulbs.

--Dan
                      A soap opera, hmm, like that because it's life, some clown comes out with a new standard and we all get screwed.

Try the GLS Halogens, they are good and Low wattage equivalent.
                      sigpic
                      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

We've covered this so many times, in so many threads.

There are two ways a dimmer might work.
                        1. Chop the sinewave, which is what most electronic dimmers do.

2. Vary the voltage or the current (rheostat type dimmers) to the bulb. To do this in the electronic dimmer you'd likely need a neutral in the switch box so that the variable output still allows the circuitry in the dimmer to work at near zero current to the bulb. At any rate, something now has to eat the excess power. This would require a heat sink which likely won't fit in the switch box. Even if it did, where is the heat to go? So you'll not likely see the dimmers redesigned.
                        Another method would be to convert that chopped waveform to a variable voltage at the bulb (maintains the two wire series circuit). The easiest way to do this is to use what we in the field call a B.F.C. (stands for Big F'n Capacitor [use your own adverb]). This can also be done with more elaborate electronics inside the bulb (usually the case). This is why dimmable LED's (and CFL's) are so much more expensive. No doubt the dimmable LED will improve as they are more widely adopted and the required electronics are mass produced. The problem is squeezing all that into an acceptably sized device.
                        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Yeah, but I don't want to spend money on new gadgets to make dimming work. I want something that works with my existing gadgets.

Looks like the best insurance is to stock up on incandescents as I think they are going to go away no matter what happens legal-wise.

Regards
                          Michael
                          Regards,
                          Michael

Comment

Eventually they will and factories are retooling. Bulbs are much more efficient; but still very expensive and early adoptees are paying for the privilege of testing the new technology. Really though not much different than paying $100 for one light switch.

I dim the outside 120VAC lamps to 20% and utilize halogen 60 watt bulbs. They are somewhat unique looking and they are all the same. (8 of them). I have not seen the type of lamps yet replicated in the non incandescent world.

I have migrated all of the landscaping lighting to LED's and its working just fine. The color/brightness is almost the same as the older halogen lighting was. I can dim the landscaping lighting at the 12VDC side. I'm using multiple small 12VDC power supplies and they are configured via one UPB relay switch. The neighbor took it to another step by installing two small solar panels charging 2 12VDC car batteries and its working fine for him. I was able to purchase these lamps at a reasonable cost. I'm amazed still at the micro miniature circuits built into these lamps and how easily they have been replicated in the low voltage world. You can even DIY your own LED low voltage lamps at a reasonable cost.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
                            Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
                            HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Can you dim 12v LEDs or other bulbs on the 120/240 VAC side or does it have to be on the 12 VDC side of the xformer?

Regards
                              Michael
                              Regards,
                              Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X