No announcement yet.

Dimming after incandescents go away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only found 12VDC side of the transformer dimmers. Its looks to be popular with the automotive folks / LED 12 lighting effects even using wireless remotes to dim or change LED colors.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was wondering if you can use a regular X10 or Zwave lamp dimmer on the AC side of the 12 volt xformer as long as you didn't exceed the wattage limits.

I'd try this on my pool light but I'm afraid I'll blow something up!

Regards
      Michael
      Regards,
      Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

I'm not an electrician but I used multiple toroidal, multizone, multivoltage landscaping AC transformers before going to LEDs. I believe these would work with dimmers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

These are not inexpensive; rather typically sell for greater than $200 USD each. What's nice is that you can up the voltage say to 15VAC for longer runs of 12-14 guage landscaping wire. The zone also typically has a circuit breaker. Initially I put these 1000 watt transformers on their own breakers. Today the footprint of the smaller 12VDC LCD transformers is less than one of these (I had four) and work fine from one UPB relay switch.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; June 28, 2012, 09:52 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X