Alarm System Recommendations with HomeSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
    Off subject a little but how do you know what sensors I can buy off of ebay that are compatible with my system (I have an ademco 20p also)?
    Jayman13 you have wireless panel also so the easiest(install and expansion slots) way is to expand wireless. Refer to the post I made you earlier
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...80#post1022780

You've got a 5882-3ENH wirelss module also, so you can buy almost anything wireless part for Ademco. Took me a lot of reading of several Ademco Installer Manuals from 1995-2010 to figure out that you can use all "Ademco 58XX" wireless sensors for your Vista 20p panel. Those with Vista 10 and Vista 15 and a 5882 wireless module can also use any wireless sensor with the part number "58XX" also.
    Thats the great thing about Ademco panels and parts - so many users, there are so many parts resellers on ebay - and at fraction of the cost compared to store resellers. Don't be forced to bid thinking its the last one, its not. I've been watching ebay for Ademco part for 5 years and there is plenty of supply -prices are the same or go down.
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
      Jayman13 you have wireless panel also so the easiest(install and expansion slots) way is to expand wireless. Refer to the post I made you earlier
      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...80#post1022780

You've got a 5882-3ENH wirelss module also, so you can buy almost anything wireless part for Ademco. Took me a lot of reading of several Ademco Installer Manuals from 1995-2010 to figure out that you can use all "Ademco 58XX" wireless sensors for your Vista 20p panel. Those with Vista 10 and Vista 15 and a 5882 wireless module can also use any wireless sensor with the part number "58XX" also.
      Thats the great thing about Ademco panels and parts - so many users, there are so many parts resellers on ebay - and at fraction of the cost compared to store resellers. Don't be forced to bid thinking its the last one, its not. I've been watching ebay for Ademco part for 5 years and there is plenty of supply -prices are the same or go down.
      That is sweet! It may expand my automation even further. Do you think they will work well with the plugin on triggering events? In my early testing I am very impressed.

Comment

yes, you can inexpensively expand your automation(triggers) this way. What great is also that you have a dedicated security system and automation system. If automation goes down, your security can still function as is( even with no power due to battery backup). all the best.
        Tom

Comment

can you get a DSC security panel and use it with z wave 3 in 1 sensors? instead of having non z wave sensors? Seems more efficient to use the 3 in 1 z wave sensors whilst you're home for lighting and what not...and then when you're away use it for alarm trigger?

I'm looking into security systems now and am working towards DSC from what you've all said here

Right now the home is been built (almost at plastering phase) so we can run any required cables now.

Comment

upon looking further, looks like you can just use HSTouch to make your security panel and use those 3 in 1 z wave devices as your motion sensors...

has anyone else done something similiar to this?

Comment

Originally posted by dj_siek View Post
              can you get a DSC security panel and use it with z wave 3 in 1 sensors?
              No the wireless security sensors use a different frequency.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Right Rupp, but I thought I read somewhere that since DSC is integrated into HomeSeer, that you can let that connection to trigger the alarm state in DSC.
                I also have a HomeSeer Pro system setup and adding HSM100 multi-sensors all over the place. It'd be nice to have those act as alarm sensors when "armed" instead of having 2 motion sensors in each location. Plus the cost of the HSM100 sensors are rather expensive and it'd be nice to have mulitple purposes for them.

Comment

Questions on DCS system

I did a quick look at DCS, yes it is much much cheaper than ELK --- I have a few questions.

The panels listed in the HS store are V4.5 - on the DCS site they list 4.6 (which supports the new 2-way key pads and more wireless connections) wireless keypads are a big deal due to my home construction. Is the HS store listing just out of date or has DCS not started shipping the v4.6 based systems yet.

I don't see the TR5164-433 listed (new two way wireless bridge) - same question, is it not available yet.

DCS system looks nice and very affordable - really wish it had a WiFi interface -- cobbling together an RS232 / WiFi bridge set up can be a pain and also ends up with a bit of a mess (extra HW, associated power supplies and extra SW on the home seer PC). Unless of course you can easily run cables in your home or you can co-locate your HS system with your security panel.

Anyway, if anyone knows about v4.6 or the new 2-way DCS bridge - pls let me know.

PS. Good thread - got me thinking about my setup and what needs to be done to improve it... thx for starting.

Comment

Originally posted by norcoscia View Post
                    I did a quick look at DCS, yes it is much much cheaper than ELK --- I have a few questions.

The panels listed in the HS store are V4.5 - on the DCS site they list 4.6 (which supports the new 2-way key pads and more wireless connections) wireless keypads are a big deal due to my home construction. Is the HS store listing just out of date or has DCS not started shipping the v4.6 based systems yet.

I don't see the TR5164-433 listed (new two way wireless bridge) - same question, is it not available yet.

DCS system looks nice and very affordable - really wish it had a WiFi interface -- cobbling together an RS232 / WiFi bridge set up can be a pain and also ends up with a bit of a mess (extra HW, associated power supplies and extra SW on the home seer PC). Unless of course you can easily run cables in your home or you can co-locate your HS system with your security panel.

Anyway, if anyone knows about v4.6 or the new 2-way DCS bridge - pls let me know.

PS. Good thread - got me thinking about my setup and what needs to be done to improve it... thx for starting.
                    With this question I would recommend calling HomeSeer at the number listed at the top of HomeSeer.com. Both the available plugins were written a while ago and may not support some of the newer wireless hardware.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by DanielHeth View Post
                      Right Rupp, but I thought I read somewhere that since DSC is integrated into HomeSeer, that you can let that connection to trigger the alarm state in DSC.
                      I also have a HomeSeer Pro system setup and adding HSM100 multi-sensors all over the place. It'd be nice to have those act as alarm sensors when "armed" instead of having 2 motion sensors in each location. Plus the cost of the HSM100 sensors are rather expensive and it'd be nice to have mulitple purposes for them.
                      I looked into going in the same direction. After a lot of research and talking with HomeSeer folks(company) I decided against it. The main thing HS folks told me is that HSM100 sensors are not rated for security operations. They and others suggested using independent security systems, like DSC or Ademco, that tie into the HomeSeer System. You can use the z-wave sensors to act in concert with the security system sensors, but the z-wave sensor should not be the solely responsible for security of an area/zone.
                      Another thought: You can buy a few Ademco motion sensor for the price of a z-wave sensor(on ebay). I assume this should be the same for DSC.
                      Tom

Comment

TomTom

That is my understanding as well. The security sensors need to be just that, security motion sensors. Then you can feed that data over to HomeSeer as triggers...

Can someone who has actually done it verify?

And if so, what do you give up? From what I've researched, you lose temperature sensing. Anything else?

Can you have specific triggers based on motion events in a specific room when the alarm system is not armed? Asked another way, does the dcs panel send through motion data if it is not armed?

Comment

Hi

I'm using all my DSC PIRs as triggers in HS. I have them fed in via individual zones using HS' DSC plug-in and then using BLRadar to create the logic around them as motion sensors (for firing off code to turn lights on and off and so on). Works a treat.
                          Nicolai L

Comment

Working...
                          X