wifi proximity detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wifi proximity detection

So I'm about to move into a new house and going to do a much more extravagant HA system that I've been planning for some time. I have not used homeseer previously, but have determined to purchase hspro and use my existing zwave and x10 devices to start out.

I want to do a simple RFID type identification to determine who just moved across an area, initially for security purposes. Say I have an area on the side of my house that someone would have to walk through to get to my door/porch. I want to put a simple motion sensor up and flood light there, which when triggered in a standby alarm state, should just turn on the light, and maybe chime a bell inside the house. However I wanted to weed out false alarms, of say "approved" people that may be legitimately outside. The cheapest solution that came to mind was to use one of my old routers w/ ddwrt and pick up when an approved mac address is in distance of the router and has a singal strength of less then -50 (means the person is probably within 10ft of it on a regular cell phone strength wifi). I can easily get this information from a ssh/shell script, or I could even build a simple app or web page that would return the information if need be.

My question is: assuming I'm using HSPRO and not HSTOUCH, is it possible to script this :
    1) determine when motion sensor B is triggered
    2) either ssh, call a windows app i make, or get data returned by a URL
    3) if the above returns a "false" or whatever flag - turn on flood light and chime a bell inside the house

I'm not looking for anyone to write the script, I'm just asking if the above is feasible or if anyone has anymore thoughts/suggestions on my scenario.

Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to the HS forums. Yes it is entirely possible. Homeseer has very powerful scripting commands linked to VB.NET so you can integrate virtually anything provided it has a suitable interface that can be read. This can include web pages, text files, ports, IP methods, specific API's etc. You can also write your own app with direct links into Homeseer's calls/objects.

There are a number of free/paid network plugins already available that allow you to trigger on IP/MAC address detection but they do not provide signal strength values specific to routers. You can also use Bluetooth MAC address detection to determine occupancy which can be shorter range.
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by theroot View Post
      My question is: assuming I'm using HSPRO and not HSTOUCH, is it possible to script this :
      Thanks!
      Welcome to the community! Glad to have you here. Just to clarify, HSTouch is simply the touch interface and development environment for HomeSeer. It comes as part of the package with HSPRO.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        There are a number of free/paid network plugins already available that allow you to trigger on IP/MAC address detection but they do not provide signal strength values specific to routers. You can also use Bluetooth MAC address detection to determine occupancy which can be shorter range.
        Definitely take a look at Jon00's Network Monitor, Blade's BLLAN, and Ultra Jones's UltraMon plug-ins. None of them do exactly what you describe, but they may come close enough to allow you to do a concept test. (Even paid plug-ins allow you to test them free for 30 days.)
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
        X