Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick Mode

Hi All,

Found myself bedridden for the first part of the week, and been told to stay in bed for the last part of this week due to secondary bronchitis. It made me think about how people have automated their home. I ended up creating an easier control for my TV through HS-Touch to pick the right channels, and turn off lights in the house to save me getting up, and also put a button in the bathroom should i need help (i go into 20 - 45min coughing fits, and it gets hard for people to work out if i am okay or not).

I was wondering what sort of things you have done in your systems to cater for when you, or other family members are sick at home?
    HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Get well soon!

Sounds like you're well on the way to your goal.
    This is one application I've often thought of where the X10 Big Red Button would be handy (if you can still find them, perhaps on ebay). One could be placed in the Bathroom, one at bedside, etc. or even attached to a chain, string or whatever and hung around the neck. When pressed, trigger an event to summon assistance by voice alert, a chime, or even a phone call.
    If you can't find the BRB, a DS10 and large push button could be purposed for most of these applications.

But, the bottom line is that in a life threatening situation, we have to think about reliability. Is HS up to the task? The disclaimer within the license agreement would suggest otherwise, but in the end this is going to be a personal choice. You can't beat the old "bell by the bed".
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I have a button similar to Wadenut's by the bed. It's actually one of the 4 buttons on the X10 alarm clock.

I press it each morning when I get up. It triggers an event that sends an email to the cats' godparents telling them I'm ok and it starts the coffee pot. If they don't get the email by 10:00am they call. If they don't get an answer they go into 'rescue the cats' mode in case I'm no longer able to feed them.

Regards
      Michael
      Regards,
      Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

Comment

Originally posted by Fuddy View Post
        If they don't get an answer they go into 'rescue the cats' mode in case I'm no longer able to feed them.
        Yup. The cats are priority #1. I like the way you put it.

I hadn't thought of that. I have one of those timers by my bed. When I was working, it was my alarm clock, also triggering wakeup mode. Good idea re-purposing it that way.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post

Originally Posted by Fuddy
          If they don't get an answer they go into 'rescue the cats' mode in case I'm no longer able to feed them.

Yup. The cats are priority #1. I like the way you put it.

You know i have lost sleep over this before. maybe i should do this.
          HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
          53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
          https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Get well soon Travis!

Wish we had your weather here in the midwest.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes guys,

What sort of weather do you guys have pete?

Today over here is currently 8 Deg C and sunny. It will apparently get up to around 18 which should be nice, sad thing is i have not been able to go outside as when i sit up, i go into coughing fits, so for now i am just enjoying looking out the window.

What i need to do, is set myself up a weathercam like you did!, that was quite impressive work!. Actually the next thing to do on my list is to change the batteries in my weather station, hopefully these ones last longer than the last set
              HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Comment

Here in the US, Midwest its been warm with no rain.

100F - 38C for about a month now with no breaks. Really probably could fry an egg on the driveway.

The camera stuff is a hobby; thank-you for the compliment.

Get well Travis!
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

sounds like good Chilli growing weather!

Comment

its just been brutal hot these past few, i wanted to install more cameras on the house but its been too hot to get in the roof.
                    HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                    53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                    https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Here's are some pictures of when I was installing the Ubiquito Aircam in the front of the house under the eave. It was around 100 F when I did this and used the eave for shade. Don't really like to climb ladders too much these days (age thing).
                      Attached Files
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by travisdh View Post
                        sounds like good Chilli growing weather!
                        I guess great minds think alike. It's been pretty hot lately, so yesterday I potted a habanero plant on the back porch. Looking forward to some great peppers, and our parrots love them too.
                        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                          its just been brutal hot these past few, i wanted to install more cameras on the house but its been too hot to get in the roof.
                          In the same boat here. I am very much a summer person and tend to get inspired to do my projects in the summer. However I need to install 6 pairs of in-ceiling speakers and I've been putting it off for a long time because of the heat up in the attic. I just need to get up there and do it I guess.
                          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Reid,

Here I tried the TV thing with my parrot; I paid attention for a bit and saw that she had a preference to what she wanted to watch. We have her near the breakfast nook of the kitchen and near the LCD TV that we never watch. I have noticed lately though that she is using the "linus blanket" to sleep. Its only in her cage though for a couple of hours or so.

Recently purchased a "few" new electronic toys for my grandson (birthday #1); way more advanced these days versus so years ago when my children were small. Thinking of getting one now for my parrot.

That said you had mentioned some automation stuff you were doing with your parrots.

So now you got me thinking maybe of trying similiar except with Z-Wave only such that I can find a reason to purchase more z-wave stuff and let the parrot take part in my Homeseer z-wave testing. (teaching an old bird some new tricks using the "magic" of automation)

Ideally though it would be good to take this to a new thread/series of posts.

Read the wiki on the "chili pepper"; interesting.

Curious about the speaker installation; is it for Homeseer? What kind of speakers / set up are you looking to do?
                            Last edited by Pete; July 21, 2012, 06:48 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
                              In the same boat here. I am very much a summer person and tend to get inspired to do my projects in the summer. However I need to install 6 pairs of in-ceiling speakers and I've been putting it off for a long time because of the heat up in the attic. I just need to get up there and do it I guess.
                              It's not quite as hot here, but close. I had to go into the attic to run some cabling a few days ago. It was 138 up there even with ridge vents. I wound up disconnecting one of the flexible A/C ducts and pointing the end in my direction. It worked very well. Now that I know I can do this and put the duct back together successfully, attic work does not seem as bad. ...its still bad, just not as bad....

@TRAVISDH - If you have a PalmPad and available X10 interface and housecodes, you could progam 32 different events to run from it. My son has one in his tree house that does everything from playing sounds on the back yard speakers to sending secret spy emails/txts to friends to come over.

Comment

Working...
                              X