Pool sand filter head water pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool sand filter head water pressure?

Since I would like to automatize my pool sand filter backwashes, I need to know the water pressure. Does it exist a way to replace current water pressure gauges by digital one, which could be read easily by Homeseer?

I find a lot of pressure transmitters but don't want to go with something and found later a "better" way of doing that was existing...

Thanks.

I have been looking at doing this, too. There are two ways to approach it: measure the actual pressure and report it to HS, or measure a pressure threshold, and report its binary status to HS.

Neither of these appear off the shelf. Your solution will depend on the interface you use (Z-wave, Insteon, 1-wire, etc.)

The first way is more tricky, but would entail getting a pressure sensor that reports pressure, likely as an analog output. This would need to be read and reported by an analog device, again, depending on your interface of choice. Such a pressure sensor would also need to be powered.

The second way, and the way I am going, is to use an adjustable pressure switch. It will simply close a contact above (or below, depending on model) the set pressure. I am going to wire that into a wireless door module (such as the INSTEON TriggerLinc or z-wave door sensor - both have contacts for external devices). These are battery powered and will simply need be shielded from the elements.

Please report what you decide to do and how you go about it. I would like to have an actual pressure reported, but the threshold is good enough. It will report an ON or OFF and from there you can trigger alerts, emails, HSTouch, etc.

-BD

Comment

I did some searching and find out that we could know water pressure (PSI) by using pressure sensor tranducer, which return depending on pressure, different voltage which can be read by using digital input relays like the Insteon EZIO2X4 from Simplehomenet.

http://www.astsensors.com/applicatio...ure_sensor.php
      http://www.astsensors.com/pressure_s...ducers/AST4000

I continu reading about that, and let you know my findings...

Comment

I'm actually looking for this one:

TI PRESSURE SENSOR # PPE-PA GF30 0-100 PSI WITH PIGTAIL
        35$ + 17.50$ shipping int.
        http://r.ebay.com/BB6yrm

Very cheap, and seem to be exactly what I need to replace my actual pool sand filter head water pressure gauge 0-60 psi, 1/4" and hook it to a SimpleHomeNet Insteon EZIO2X4 input relay...

Will keep you informed.

Comment

Certainly cheap enough!

Using the SimpleHomeNet requires the new plug-in, which is not the INSTEON plug-in from Mark Sandler, correct? How do two plug-ins handle communicating through one PLM? Any interferences?

Let me know how it goes! I am still planning on going binary and wireless so as not to require any power, but I could wire up a box and place this in it if yours goes smoothly.

-BD

Comment

Originally posted by alteksi View Post
            I'm actually looking for this one:

TI PRESSURE SENSOR # PPE-PA GF30 0-100 PSI WITH PIGTAIL
            35$ + 17.50$ shipping int.
            http://r.ebay.com/BB6yrm

Very cheap, and seem to be exactly what I need to replace my actual pool sand filter head water pressure gauge 0-60 psi, 1/4" and hook it to a SimpleHomeNet Insteon EZIO2X4 input relay...

Will keep you informed.

Nice find! I've been looking for something like this for some time. I also want to monitor pressure on the sand filter head. I think I have a spare RFXComm A/D input available i can attach it to. Got one on the way, will keep you posted.

Comment

Any progress on this? I ordered a manual switch and will be connecting to a door sensor to keep it wireless and power-free.

-BD

Comment

I got my solution implemented. I used an inexpensive, adjustable pressure switch, connected it to an Everspring Z-Wave door module using the external contacts, put it in a 4x2 PVC enclosure, and tied it into my filter pressure port.

I simply use an event trigger to notify me if the pressure goes "low" when the pump is running.

Here is the whole thing:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1166949

Here is a closeup of the enclosure:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1166950

-BD

Comment

TI sensor is rated for oil. Dont know about construction to support water. Automotive oil pressure sending unit should provide a similiar capabilty

Comment

Dunno about the TI analog, but I do know this one is rated for air & H20 (probably not so much chlorinated, but the water doesn't come down the pipe anyway).

-BD

Comment

Originally posted by BrunDog View Post
                      Certainly cheap enough!

Using the SimpleHomeNet requires the new plug-in, which is not the INSTEON plug-in from Mark Sandler, correct? How do two plug-ins handle communicating through one PLM? Any interferences?.

-BD
                      BD, Mark Sandler's Insteon plugin provides 2 "side doors" to allow additional capabilities. Marks' plugin owns the PLM, and allows additional outside logic to be applied using his published methods:

1) Scripting using insteon external device support. I have a vb script I use for my simplehomnet ez flora sprinker controllers. My script registers with Mark's plugin and lets me create and use the 14 valves and 2 master valves I need to control. It works and performs perfectly, and Mark and others have provided me great support to get there. Adam's EZFlora plugin wasn't there when I got my EZFloras so I used scripting.

2) There is also a plugin-plugin interface. The Sage Thermostat plugin, the Simplehomenet plugin and the ezflora plugin all three use this method to register with Mark's Insteon plugin. The developers work with Mark Sander to enable and use this method. I will be going to the Sage Thermostat plugin later this year when I move from x10 to Insteon Thermostats.
                      Paul

Comment

Thanks, yes. I have since learned how the SimpleHomeNet works when I asked in the its respective forum.

I have 3x INSTEON thermostats that use the Sage plugin, and indeed they register as external devices with Mark's most excellent plugin.

Anyway, I did not: need the actual pressure level from the pump, want to wire-in power for the simplehomenet device, want to put insteon RF devices outside when I have 2x Intermatic Z-wave contactors 5 feet away. So I went with the battery powered Z-wave device. It will report on average 4x a day (pump turns on and off for two periods), so the batteries should last a while.

-BD

Comment

Anybody ordered and tested this sensor?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TI-PRESSURE-...item43b29cf38b

Comment

Working...
                          X