Insteon strange behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon strange behavior

Hello, I am new to HS, and am just learning the ropes. I have an Insteon interface with a few devices set up. I have a device that I can control manually, and have a few events set up for it. The events and control are working fine, however, I have an off event set up for absolute time. However, every night, the device turns back on roughly 2 times after the event fires, and I have to go in and turn the device off manually. I have checked and don't see other events that would turn it on. Any ideas? I am coming from a Mac-based Indigo install, so maybe there is something stored on the powerlinc? Not sure here as I am charting new territory.

Hi, welcome to HS and the board!

I would check the log file for both homeseer on its console and also generate a log file from insteon after it happens.. the insteon log generate button is at the bottom of the insteon configuration page. The log will be in the HS2/config directory (or Pro, depending which version of HS you have)

Insteon is really solid... unless the device itself is flaky, you will see a message from <something> to the device causing the change. Post a snippet of the log file back here if you can find something interesting in it.

Which Homeseer insteon plugin do you have and what version?
    Do you use the X10 capabilities of the device, if it has it? Some Insteon Devices do Insteon and X10 at the same time.

Paul
    Paul

Comment

Thanks for the response Paul.

Here is the plug in:
      Insteon Plug-in Configuration - HYBRID PLC VERSION 1.1.52.1 In PLC/SDM Mode

I forced a log entry, and here is the top:
      Insteon Plug-in Error Log Generated 7/24/2012 6:46:43 PM
      -----------*Error Message*----------------
      Error: Forced error / log generation -- 7/24/2012 6:46:43 PM
      --------*Initialization Log*--------------
      7/24/2012 6:45:26 PM - Host System: HomeSeer 2.5.0.52
      7/24/2012 6:45:26 PM - Plugin: HSPI_Insteon.DLL - HYBRID PLC VERSION 1.1.52.1 In PLC/SDM Mode
      7/24/2012 6:45:26 PM - RegisterCallback Completed
      7/24/2012 6:45:26 PM - Enter InitIO
      7/24/2012 6:45:26 PM - Enter InitPlugin
      7/24/2012 6:45:26 PM - Global initialization of plug-in required, starting up.
      7/24/2012 6:45:26 PM - Initializing Insteon hardware interface...
      7/24/2012 6:45:26 PM - Connecting to SmartHome Device Manager (SDM) component...
      7/24/2012 6:45:27 PM - Connected to SDM component, Checking Insteon interface connection...
      7/24/2012 6:45:29 PM - Wait: Waiting for Insteon text message: respond*
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - Device Manager Report: dm=active,1.01.138.308,7/24/2012 6:45:36 pm,responded,0a.a3.97,2.13,xdevices=true
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - Wait: Saw a matching Insteon text message, returning: DM=active,1.01.138.308,7/24/2012 6:45:36 PM,responded,0A.A3.97,2.13,xdevices=True
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - IsResponding returned: 'DM=active,1.01.138.308,7/24/2012 6:45:36 PM,responded,0A.A3.97,2.13,xdevices=True'
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - Insteon interface found containing firmware version 2.13 (Version 2 Revision 13)
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - Insteon interface Address: 0A.A3.97
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - Insteon hardware interface initialized.
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - In TransmitMessageThread
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - I/O(Insteon Protocol) Interface Initializing...
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - In CreateDevices
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - (Re)Loading 2 Insteon device information tables...
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - (Re)Loading 0 Insteon group information tables...
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - [HCM] There are existing 'DeviceBaseCode' class HomeSeer devices currently using the previously allocated base house code of: '\'.
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - 2 Matching HS device records were found and updated for the Insteon device database.
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - [HCM] There are no existing 'GroupBaseCode' class devices using the previously allocated base house code of '_', so it will be released.
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - [HCM] Allocated house code '_' as a the new base code for device class 'GroupBaseCode' .
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - [HCM] Creating new HomeSeer device: All Devices (Insteon PLC Group ID:255) XCode '_1'
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - 0 Matching HS device records were found and updated for the Insteon group database.
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - Exit CreateDevices
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - I/O(Insteon Protocol) Interface Initialized.
      7/24/2012 6:45:37 PM - Exit InitPlugin

Comment

Ok, nothing to report from that log. Do you have some rough idea when it happens, eg do you observe it happening?

We need to see the homeseer log from the time that the device activates. You can scroll the log viewer on your server back to the time it happens; copy from 5 minutes before and after. Can you give that a try?
        Paul

Comment

So the device OFF command goes at 9:30 PM, and the log showed that effectively. I didn't notice the device turning back on again last night, so that was the first night it seemed to work properly (unless it happened after I fell asleep).

Before when it was occurring, I did not see any entry in the log for device ON, so that was puzzling me. Because of that, I went into the interface config and did 'Hardware Reset and Reprogram Interface' thinking maybe it wasn't HS sending the On, but the powerlinc. Since I did that, and it didn't turn on last night, do you think that was it?

Comment

Hi dvinnola,

I just recently ran into the same type of problem but with, from the sounds of it, different circumstances. I have keypad that turns all of the basement lights on with the push of one button. I wanted to set up an event that sent an "Off" command to certain lights after a certain time in the evening so when I pushed that same button, all the lights came on as usual but then the specified ones went off. (Kids play in that area during the day, wife and I don't need that area lit when we're downstairs watching tv in the evening after the kids go to bed.)

When I would run the event and test the system, upon pushing the "On" button on the keypad, all the lights would come on, then the specified lights would turn off and a second later, turn back on again. It took me a while to figure it out but I remembered that Insteon devices send actuation signals out 3 times and all the devices in the network that pick up that signal rebroadcast it 3 times as well. What you get is a great wave of signal propagation that Insteon calls a Mesh Network. It's one of the reasons that the Insteon products work so well.

Once I figured that out, I set the event command to execute on a 10 second delay after the "On" button push of the keypad. This cured the problem. Evidently Homeseer was broadcasting the correct "Off" command to the specified light switches but the Mesh network was still propagating the "On" signal for a few seconds after the switches had received the "Off" signal from Homeseer, so, viola! The lights would come back on.

Your situation doesn't sound identical to mine but it would make me ask the question as to whether or not anything else in your network was linked to the device you're having problems with and broadcasting an on signal for any reason?

I'm new to HS and Insteon as well so my experience is limited but I'm learning that there are a lot of links that can be overlooked if you don't pay close attention to them.

Just my $0.02 worth. If it doesn't solve your problem, it may at least arm you for dealing with future issues.

-Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dvinnola View Post
              So the device OFF command goes at 9:30 PM, and the log showed that effectively. I didn't notice the device turning back on again last night, so that was the first night it seemed to work properly (unless it happened after I fell asleep).

Before when it was occurring, I did not see any entry in the log for device ON, so that was puzzling me. Because of that, I went into the interface config and did 'Hardware Reset and Reprogram Interface' thinking maybe it wasn't HS sending the On, but the powerlinc. Since I did that, and it didn't turn on last night, do you think that was it?

Hmm that is wierd. Sometimes insteon groups programmed into devices get goofed up and the hardware reset / reprogram can clean it up. I see the problem more like dave for the 1 or 2 times it has ever happened. I use an insteon transmitter like a keypad linc and get unexpected results. This happened after major programming of my network beyond the plm and I probably shot myself in the foot somehow. But the reprogram did fix it.

Sounds like you're good though. I would back up your setup, even if its a copy of the hs directory to a zip file or somewhere else.
              Paul

Comment

Dave, thanks, this is good to know. I'll keep the delay in mind.

Paul, two nights in a row where the device has operated as expected, so I think I am good.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X