Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autostart HSPro on a Windows7 64 bit machine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Autostart HSPro on a Windows7 64 bit machine

    I have HSPro installed on a computer running Win7 64 bit. How can I get HSPro to start automatically when the computer restarts after a power failure or reboot? I have placed a copy of the HSPro.exe file in the startup folder, but the program will not auto start. Any thoughts/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

    Ron Bernier

    #2
    Originally posted by RBernier View Post
    I have HSPro installed on a computer running Win7 64 bit. How can I get HSPro to start automatically when the computer restarts after a power failure or reboot? I have placed a copy of the HSPro.exe file in the startup folder, but the program will not auto start. Any thoughts/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

    Ron Bernier
    Use the task scheduler. Go to start and type in "scheduler" in the "search program ..." text box. The task scheduler should show up. Use help file but in essence, you create a task. I have a task that starts 2 minutes after start-up of the PC and starts Homeseer. It will also restart the task if you shut-down HS (or HS crashed).

    Dirk

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
      Use the task scheduler. Go to start and type in "scheduler" in the "search program ..." text box. The task scheduler should show up. Use help file but in essence, you create a task. I have a task that starts 2 minutes after start-up of the PC and starts Homeseer. It will also restart the task if you shut-down HS (or HS crashed).

      Dirk
      Thank you for responding.

      Comment


        #4
        I use r2 Studios Startup Delayer (free) as I have found my system likes to open programs in sequence.

        Seems to need to start ECM-1240 software and some USB connections and then HS. I delay HS from starting for about 200secs after startup.

        Thanks, Matt

        Comment


          #5
          I did get this to work using the task scheduler with a 1min delay, but I had a question. Is there any way to get the Homeseer log to show up when you actually log in, and to have the Homeseer icon in the system try so I can shut it down properly?

          Thanks for any assistance.

          Regards,
          Vector

          Comment


            #6
            Vector, I am running Windows Server 2008 64 bit, and previously used Win 7 64 bit. I simply placed the HSPRO icon in the startup folder. Copy the HS shortcut icon from the start menu into the startup folder. If you copied the homeseer.exe file itself it would not start correctly. Make sure you use the shortcut.
            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

            Comment


              #7
              Reid,

              I am talkng about using the scheduler to start HS BEFORE logging in. The Startup folder starts items when the user logs in.

              I was able to get HS to start prior to login, but then whe I do log in there is no window for HS Log and no HS icon is the system tray.

              Hope that helps explain what I am asking.

              Regards,
              Vector

              Comment


                #8
                You need to set your home automation server to autologin.
                http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...s-server-2008/
                -Rupp
                sigpic

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Vector View Post
                  Reid,

                  I am talkng about using the scheduler to start HS BEFORE logging in. The Startup folder starts items when the user logs in.

                  I was able to get HS to start prior to login, but then whe I do log in there is no window for HS Log and no HS icon is the system tray.

                  Hope that helps explain what I am asking.

                  Regards,
                  Vector
                  Right, use Rupp's suggestion and have the machine auto login. Then place the HomeSeer shortcut in the Startup folder. Don't use the task scheduler. The combination of autologin and placing the HS shortcut in the Startup folder will ensure you have the HS window visible.
                  HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                  Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                  Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                  Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Better yet, to avoid issues at startup: Do what Rupp said, then create a .BAT file (e.g., StartupDelay.bat), and put this in there:
                    PHP Code:
                    @ECHO OFF
                     
                    TIMEOUT 
                    /T 20
                    START 
                    "" /"C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HSPRO\" "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HSPRO\HomeSeer.exe
                    This is a really simple way to delay the startup of HS by 20 seconds. My HS GUI would often freeze on startup, and on a hunch I put this in and so far it hasn't froze since.

                    Steve

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I appreciate all the feedback. I was trying to find a way to do this without eliminating the logon requirement (keeping some semblance of security).

                      Maybe HS3 will be designed to operate as a service.

                      How about this? As I said, if I use the scheduler, HS starts and performs the automation tasks and operates as the HSTouch Server, it simply does not display the system tray icon and Log window. Is it possible to do the following?
                      1. Use scheduler to start HS on system startup
                      2. Create a BAT file that shuts down HS (not sure how to do this in command line), then starts HS
                      3. Put the BAT file ion the Startup Directory so that when I do log in, it will function normally.


                      In theory this would solve my problem and still maintain logon security. I am just not sure how to shut down HS using some kind of command line.


                      Regards,
                      Vector

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Rupp,

                        By the way, the link you suggested pointed to using to get to the user screen to turn off login for a user account. This does not work on my system (Windows 7). I assume it is different for Server 2008.

                        I had to look elswhere and found the command "netplwiz" takes you to the same place as suggested in the linked article.

                        Regards,
                        Vector

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Vector View Post
                          Rupp,

                          By the way, the link you suggested pointed to using to get to the user screen to turn off login for a user account. This does not work on my system (Windows 7). I assume it is different for Server 2008.

                          I had to look elswhere and found the command "netplwiz" takes you to the same place as suggested in the linked article.

                          Regards,
                          Vector
                          Yes, control userpasswords2 is for XP netplwiz is for w7.
                          -Rupp
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            #14
                            OK, I played around with this a bit and found a solution. Not elegant, but it seems to work.

                            As I stated in my previous post:
                            1. Created a Homeseer.BAT file that shuts down HS , then starts HS
                            taskkill /IM homeseer.exe /F
                            taskkill /IM speaker.exe /F
                            PING 127.0.0.1 -n 6
                            "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HSPRO\HomeSeer.exe"
                            exit
                            1. Use scheduler to start HS on system startup
                            3. Put the BAT file in the Startup Directory so that when I do log in, it will function normally.

                            Benefits
                            1. If I am away from home and the power goes out, HS will start when the power returns. Then when I actually login, the Homeseer.BAT program shuts down the running version, waits 6 seconds (PING), then starts Homeseer normally under a User Login.
                            2. Maintains the password login requirement.

                            Notes:
                            1. I do get a warning message about HS not shutting down successfully the previous time (same as shutting down the PC without exiting HS).
                            2. I get a couple of pop-up error messages on Speaker app not starting, but as soon as I close those pop-ups, the speaker app starts correctly.

                            Regards,
                            Vector

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I have been trying to start HS automatically as well - initially I tried using Startup folder but this does not work. I marked shortcut as run-as-admin but no luck.

                              Reid, have you disabled UAC completely? Otherwise startup doesn't seem to work. Startup does work for HS Touch, WMC/WMP just fine.

                              I have UAC on the most strict setting for safety reasons.

                              I did find using task-scheduler works. I set it up to "run with highest privileges", "run on system startup" and "run whether user is logged in or not". This ensures HS is running even if login did not happen on PC.
                              One gotcha is that task will run with priority 7 (below normal). I had to export task, delete it, edit exported XML (set priority to 1/HIGH):
                              http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...scheduler.html

                              The only negative is that you don't get HS window. But I can access log from web-page so I don't see it as major issue.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X