No announcement yet.

Autostart HSPro on a Windows7 64 bit machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It helps to know what UAC is helping, and more importantly, not helping.

UAC (User access control) is not a server funtion, its a client PC (user) function to protect users from getting tripped up when travelling new and unknown web sites.

If your HS machine's purpose is to be a server only, UAC is nothing more than annoying, its not protecting you from new/unknown sites because you aren't visiting any. If you have users using your homeseer machine to visit the internet, ... I'm not sure what the right thing is in that case.

Said another way, you server is visting software update sites, weatherbug, etc.... known sites.

Here is microsoft's view of disabling UAC for server enviornments
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526083
    Last edited by pbibm; August 21, 2012, 05:36 PM.
    Paul

Comment

I agree with Paul, but I'll take a different angle. I believe that UAC is in place purely to prevent the USER from doing something that he/she shouldn't. It forces applications, installers, etc. to run in the context of a non-administrator unless and until an administrator determines that it is OK.

Now think about what you are doing with HS. A Homeseer machine is (or is intended to be) a standalone machine that is either ONLY or PRIMARILY running Homeseer 24 hours a day. It isn't intended as a client machine that your doing stuff on.

I'm a firm believer in UAC on all my desktops and laptops. But on the HS machine, it serves absolutely no useful purpose.

Steve

Comment

Steve, I really meant the same thing, but I think you said it better

The microsoft link reinforces the fact... Microsoft, the manufacturer of the OS, is saying that UAC is not intended to be used when the only user of a server system is the admin. e.g. a Homeseer server
        Paul

Comment

I agree w/ you guys on UAC (and MSFT). I have single PC that is both HTPC (running WMC and IE/youtube) and HomeSeer. This is not necessary my long term solution and I might build another machine just for HS. But so far I must say it works well and HTPC is anyway on 24/7 to enable TV recording and remote access. So that is why I am paranoid about UAC :-)

Comment

Seeing HS start on power recovery

Can someone tell me where the startup folder is in Windows 7? I can't find it by searching for "startup" or "start up".

Also, I run a dedicated server and am looking for for a PC to auto log in and HS to start up after a power failure. Does that mean I have to eliminate the password if I don't run it as a service? Task Scheduler won't run programs unless there is a password active, and I'm not sure remote desktop will work if there is not a password.

Thanks
            Last edited by jono; August 26, 2012, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Hit start button -> all programs -> right click on startup -> open

This will take you here:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If I understand your question, you do not need to remove password. You just need to turn OFF UAC by setting it to "never notify". You can get to it by going to control panel -> user accounts -> Change User Control Account Settings -> Never notify.

Comment

Thanks Person. Following your instructions and Rupps instructions on auto login I am now all set in W7. Remote Desktop does still work with a password, even though the machine will auto logon in power recovery.

Comment

I had some issues and decide to dig deeper into this. I found out few things you might be interested in.

Since I have PC that is both HomeSeer and HTPC at the same time I need to run both HS and WMC on startup. I need to separate the two for security reasons. I zeroed in on this solution:

1) Created user account (non-admin) with password. Added WMC in full screen to startup folder. Enabled auto-login into this account on startup:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1401-startup-programs-change.html
                  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/377-log-automatically-startup.html
                  Since this is non-admin account you still get UAC protection while surfing web or installing software or running many control panel apps etc. ... but it also starts automatically in full screen mode to make it easy to use.

2) Created admin account. Set UAC to never notify. So I do NOT use this account for new installations/testing - I use regular user account and just provide admin password when needed.

3) Created task that runs under admin user with highest privileges to start HomeSeer at *startup* (i.e. before any login happens; admin normally never logins to the machine anyway). Raised priority to 1.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/67503-task-create-run-program-startup-log.html
                  http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/111972-task-scheduler.html

This method does not create HS GUI window under admin (or user) but it is not critical to me since it can be accessed thru Web. If I shut down/restart PC I don't get any errors in HS log (i.e. no "HS ended unexpectedly or whatever that message is).

To install new HS version you need to stop HS from Task Manager or disable from task scheduler and reboot.

Hope you find this useful...

Comment

good idea we think alike but how about a bat that logs off after hs starts
                    **Batch file***
                    @ Echo off
                    shutdown.exe - L

the extension -L locks the pc
                    i run mine in service mode

Cheers
                    Last edited by ~Ghost~; March 1, 2013, 10:09 PM.

Comment

That is interesting feature. If you have single account you could use that and get HS GUI. In my case I have 2 accounts and I want to use one of them to run HS and another to be up-and-running WMC in full screen mode. I don't know how I would login under HS-account, start HS, logout and then logic under WMC account. Do you?

Comment

Question:

When I put HS3 into the Taskscheduler for auto startup, two things happen DIFFERENTLY.
                        1 - I get an error about "schedule.dll" missing
                        2 - The"Welcome to Home-seer" message doesn't play

Everything else SEEMS to be running normally. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Also, can I setup Taskscheduler to restart HS3 if it crashes?

Thanks....

PS... Still getting used to HS3 vs HS2, so far I am VERY impressed. A bit overwhelmed as well, but I like it. My new system is slowly coming together nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by rsisson View Post
                          Question:

When I put HS3 into the Taskscheduler for auto startup, two things happen DIFFERENTLY.
                          1 - I get an error about "schedule.dll" missing
                          2 - The"Welcome to Home-seer" message doesn't play

Everything else SEEMS to be running normally. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Also, can I setup Taskscheduler to restart HS3 if it crashes?

Thanks....

PS... Still getting used to HS3 vs HS2, so far I am VERY impressed. A bit overwhelmed as well, but I like it. My new system is slowly coming together nicely.
                          Typically that occurs if the working directory for that task is not set to the HS directory.

Cheers
                          Al
                          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
                          X