HELP! Email Setup, Google or Yahoo - frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Email Setup, Google or Yahoo - frustrated

Okay. Here is the deal. I am a pretty savvy tech guy who either is just missing the boat, (ID10T error) or something else is wrong.

Goal: I want to send emails to myself based on event triggers.

Tried Google with STunnel:
    I installed STunnel. I configured stunnel with the following:
    # GLOBAL OPTIONS
    client = yes
    output = stunnel-log.txt
    debug = 0
    taskbar = no
    # SERVICE-LEVEL OPTIONS
    [SMTP Gmail]
    accept = 127.0.0.1:1099
    connect = smtp.gmail.com:465
    [POP3 Gmail]
    accept = 127.0.0.1:1099
    connect = pop.gmail.com:995

I configured the email settings with the following:
    Both SMTP server and Pop server settings:
    homeseer_svr:1099

smtp and pop username are populated.

both smtp and pop passwords are populated.

To and From fields are populated with my google email address because that's where I want the message to go.

I save the settings:

I restart STunnel to make sure it has the latest settings.

I restart HSPro to make sure all setting are saved.

I execute a test email to me from the event action.

I get the following error when running a test email from an event.
    Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.

Test:
    I run blat a command line email tool and configure it to send a message through STunnel at port 127.0.0.1:1099

Completes successfully no problem.

Test 2:
    I telnet to 127.0.0.1 1099
    I get a message: 220 mx.google.com ESMTP
    I know it works to google.

What else I have tried:
    I followed the How To's to the letter.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153033

I created a new yahoo account and configured it as specified in the instructions. Saved the changes. Restarted the HSPro application.

Run the same test from the event issuing the test email.

I get an error. Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.

I need help.... I have spent too many hours working on this and only resulting in more frustration and losing sleep over this damn thing.

I can telnet to smtp.mail.yahoo.com on port 25 and port 587.
    I get an error. Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.

Did you see this post?
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153033
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Its the same link

Its the same link as I posted in my original email.

Comment

My set up works - I use 127.0.0.1 for both my POP and SMTP servers.

This is my stunnel config file:

; Sample stunnel configuration file by Michal Trojnara 2002-2006
        ; Some options used here may not be adequate for your particular configuration

; Certificate/key is needed in server mode and optional in client mode
        ; The default certificate is provided only for testing and should not
        ; be used in a production environment
        cert = stunnel.pem
        ;key = stunnel.pem

; Some performance tunings
        socket = l:TCP_NODELAY=1
        socket = r:TCP_NODELAY=1

; Workaround for Eudora bug
        ;options = DONT_INSERT_EMPTY_FRAGMENTS

; Authentication stuff
        ;verify = 2
        ; Don't forget to c_rehash CApath
        ;CApath = certs
        ; It's often easier to use CAfile
        ;CAfile = certs.pem
        ; Don't forget to c_rehash CRLpath
        ;CRLpath = crls
        ; Alternatively you can use CRLfile
        ;CRLfile = crls.pem

; Some debugging stuff useful for troubleshooting
        debug = 7
        output = stunnel.log

; Use it for client mode
        client = yes

; Service-level configuration

;[https]
        ;accept = 443
        ;connect = 80
        ;TIMEOUTclose = 0

; vim:ft=dosini
        [pop3s]
        accept = 110
        connect = pop.gmail.com:995

[imaps]
        accept = 993
        connect = 143

[ssmtp]
        accept = 25
        connect = smtp.gmail.com:465

~Bill

Comment

Just tested your settings

Okay I just loaded your config into STunnel.

And I set the configuration as per your recommendations in email settings.

Error: Sending email using SMTP: The transport failed to connect to the server.

Obviously it didn't work. I am so confused why this doesn't work.

Comment

Need to ask some basics here.

Is the Stunnel program running?
            Should be a small, green icon in the task tray.

~Bill

Comment

Yes running as a service. Although the log appears to be empty.

Comment

I don't have it loaded anymore but I'd stop the service, reboot the computer, run Stunnel as a program and try again. After that you may want to add exceptions to your firewall regarding this program.

~Bill

Comment

Switched to manual. Restatted and got the same error.

Comment

Do you have a firewall wall running on the computer? Is it Windows 7 or XP?

Have you done the SMTP test to see if something else is blocking the port?

This is what I see when I try telnetting to port 25 of the smtp dot gmail dot com site.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
                    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Pete>telnet smtp.gmail.com 25

220 mx.google.com ESMTP qo3sm18249926igc.8
                    The above is telling me that I have access to SMTP port 25 from whatever computer I typed this on. (telnet)
                    Last edited by Pete; July 30, 2012, 09:57 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Good one, Windows 7 UAC might be doinking with your setup.

My STUNNEL.CONF is about the same as posted above, and it has been working. Maybe check that "remote" access such as POP and SMTP is allowed in your Google account. I recall having to tell Google to allow that stuff.

Which reminds me, since I don't use that for my cellphone anylonger (have an Android phone now), I can probably eliminate IMAP/POP/SMTP access on that account.

--Dan
                      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I think too many if not all ISPs block SMTP port #25 these days on your modem via the configuration. It can help or cause issues.

The configuration is very simple and kind of looks like your typical router configuration. You boot up your router/modem; it TFTP's / checks your firmware/MAC et al. It then drops down a firmware configuration (depending on whether you need one or not); then the soft configuration (service tiers, email blocking stuff, et al). That said you do not have access to this encrypted configuration file as typically the modems/routers are locked as they are managed by your ISP.

I utilize multiple email accounts via multiple ISPs (Verizon, AT&T, Comcast et al) and to go from say Comcast to other mail server using SMTP port 25 it needs to stay open. None the less I proxy/scan with AV all of the email traffic via the firewall; scrubbing the in/out a bit before it goes to any of the PC's in the house and out to the internet.

A tangent.
                        The whole matter of leasing (renting) versus owning now has become a debacle of sorts. There is a difference relating to how and when if you own rather than lease a modem/router. IE: I switched over from Tivo (after over 10 years of no service calls DTV disabled the Direct Tivo stating it was legacy and would no longer work - when in fact it was working fine) to a DTV DVR which I do not own. That said two weeks after installation it ceased to function. I called for service and they stated I would have to pay for service on a product I didn't own. The CSR succumbed and then said that they would service it under a 90 day warranty. A couple of days later it was repaired. The next bill for service came with service charges. I called the accounting department and they said that I had approved a service charge; written on their notes; and I said I did not. After talking to 3 CS representatives they finally deleted the charges (after about 1 hour on the phone).
                        Last edited by Pete; July 30, 2012, 06:32 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Okay Pete ane etc, here you go:

When I telnet to telnet smtp.gmail.com 25
                          I get a blinking curser which implies that it made the connection to gmail.com

I have to wait for the connection to timeout to return (maybe 30 seconds), Crtl-C does nothing.

when I telnet to 127.0.0.1 25 I get:
                          220 mx.google.com ESMTP pq1sm7187129ph.3

when I type HELO
                          I get: 250 mx.google.com at your service

I am running Windows XP sp 3 and the firewall is off.

I can connect to gmail using outlook express configured for POP and using encryption.

I can successfully send messages to my gmail account using my gmail account from an emailer called Blat using the STunnel connection using the configuration you provided.

Comment

Try connecting to the STunnel relay from another computer using the Homeseer IP.

Do the logs for STunnel show the same info or do you see a bit more?

If you have validated the STunnel connection with another program on the same computer then its your HS setup.

Check the HS settings file and look for your email setting there to make sure they match.

I don't do POP email just SMTP. Attached are my settings and INI settings and a test one that I did tonight which worked fine.

Don't be frustrated. It'll work.

My settings.ini file shows:

GSMTPUSERNAME=blahblah@gmail.com
                            GSMTPPASSWORD=password (real text not encrypted)

POP_CHECK_TIME=999
                            POP_ENABLE_CHECK=0
                            POP_PASSWORD=
                            POP_SERVER=
                            POP_USERNAME=

SMTP_SERVER=127.0.0.1:25
                            Attached Files
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I am also only using the SMTP side...

I just tested, having my security camera DVR send an e-mail TO my stunnel enabled server, which bounced over to GMAIL and then to my phone.

Hmm...if your issue is the POP side, or IMAP side, I'm sorry, I can't really help, I only use this for sending OUT.

--Dan
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X