newbie questions on homeseer compatible products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie questions on homeseer compatible products

1. I am unsure of which Homeseer product I should buy, HSPRO software (hopefully I can install that on my server) or HomeTroller-SE-PRO.
    2. a. Schlage BE369-619 Z-Wave Deadbolt Lock
    b. Kwikset 99100-005 Motorized Deadbolt w/Home Connect

3. Surveillance cameras
    a. 4. I am thinking of using z-wave light switches, only because it is newer technology.

5. Security system
    a. Many people boast about the ELK units and how they work well with Homeseer. I feel like I would be unnecessarily spending money on a product that mostly offers the same automation features as Homeseer. Am I wrong in this thought? Is the Homeseer security piece not up to par with security systems?

6. Garage Door
    a. I was thinking of getting this system: Z-Wave Garage Door Kit
    i. http://store.homeseer.com/store/x-P1281C3.aspx
    b. I found it through the following forum post: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153372

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Andy

I would start with trying to install the free 30 day trial of HomeSeer Pro (comes with the HSTouch suite and all the HomeSeer brand plugins) on that server. It's not a listed supported OS but it may work.

- Wireless cameras are nearly all wired for power so no batteries needed.
    - Z-Wave is good but can have a steep learning curve. Insteon and UPB are also good protocols to go with. They can all be used simultaneously with HomeSeer.
    - You are correct on the ELK. The DSC system is as good a security system and costs a fraction of the ELK. There are 2 plugins that interface with the DSC system as well.
    - That door kit works well.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Comment

There are benefits and drawbacks to both the software and hardware options. The hardware is less expandable, but presumably more stable. If there is an issue with HomeSeer itself, running it on its own hardware will prevent it from affecting your other applications. If you have a stable server today though, my thought is to go the software route.

As for door locks, I like the Kwikset. I chose it because you can quickly rekey the lock yourself to match other kwikset locks you might have, and because it will turn the bolt automatically. The Schlage will unlock, but you still have to turn the bolt by hand. No locking the door remotely with Schlage.
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by ibs000 View Post
          4. I am thinking of using z-wave light switches, only because it is newer technology.
          For me, Z-Wave works the best. I have never had solid reliability with any of the power-line communication devices.

Comment

I think that you have received some great responses so far.
            I am in the process of drafting plans for a new house and I intend to install and Elk security system. For me, it's worth the difference in money just in case something would ever happen to Homeseer, then I would have a hardware solution that I could rely on in a pinch. Since a lot will be wired into it (door contacts, motion detectors), I don't want to have to redo this part just because I wanted to save a few hundred dollars.

Comment

http://frostdale.wordpress.com/2011/...z-wave-part-1/DSC KIT32-219CP01NT Hybrid Wireless Security System Kit

Comment

Comment

You have to have 6 posts before you can post a link to cut down on spam so your replies were moderated. I approved them and deleted the dups.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp

Comment

Working...
                    X