Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking voice recognition about weather etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking voice recognition about weather etc?

Hello,

I can't see any plugins that allow homeseer to answer simple questions over voice recognition like what is the weather today and date etc.

Is there anything out there that would enable this functionality?

Thank you

Check out WeatherXML. It does this and more.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

great thank you

Comment

It is the long way around, but you could code individual scripts, or events as voice recognition events, like "Tell me| What is | What's the time" and have it Speak "The time is $$time",
        HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

sounds like a good approach to add what is missing.

so you can code multiple possible voice entries in the one event script like you write above?

thank you

Comment

If you are looking at doing event work, have a look at the user guide for VR,
            http://www.homeseer.com/support/home...2/homeseer.htm

For instance, say you would like to give a command that changes your television to a specific channel. You could do this by creating a voice command for every possible channel, but that's impractical. Instead, your voice command can contain ranges of words. The recognition engine will accept any one of the words. The command that will change your television to any channel would look like this:
            TV channel (0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9)+
            Quite useful tool, you can also call a script i guess which could have a select case or something similar, but that is way out of my depth.
            HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Comment

thanks fellow Melburnian!

Comment

Glad to have been of some help, you should put some info of your system in your signature so others can get an idea of what sort of things you are running. You will find that this is one of the most active and helpful forums around the place in terms of home automation.

I think with the weather example, you would be looking at something like
                (What is | Show me | Tell Me |How is) [the] weather+ [today]

With the above, if i have written it correctly it should either allow What is the weather today, show me the weather today, tell me the weather today, or how is the weather today. The | basically signifies alternate strings, putting + after a word means that word has to be there, so if you say What is today, it won't work with this, but if you say show me weather it will. When you put something between square brackets it means that word is optional, if it is there it will trigger the event (provided the other words are said) but it won't ignore the event if the word is not there.

Hope that helps!

Comment

thanks, I understand now. That will be fun to muck around with.

I will def put details in my sig. Right now I'm researching for my Dad's house (about 6 months to completion) and ordering through DIYHomeAutomation (Glenn has been fantastic there!). So should have everything setup soon. It's great because I'm getting my own house in 1.5 years so this will be a great test... plus I have sold the concept at least, of HomeSeer to 3 mates. But I'll likely be helping them set it up... which I have no problem with!

You're right, this forum is one of the most helpful ones available.

Comment

You will find there are lots of useful tools and plugins for Homeseer which really help with any home automation system. The flexibility is what i love the most, there are plugins (both free and paid) that do almost everything you could ever need it to.

I personally use the ACRF2 plugin with a WF800RF receiver, this allows me to buy cheap DS10A X10 door and window sensors, and motion sensors from the U.S.A for much cheaper than what we can get them here. If you are going Z-Wave though the motion sensors in that would be much better as you can get combination sensors that have motion, light, temperature and humidity sensors.

Another useful plugin is Weatherbug, which is a paid plugin which works well in my system, but there are other ones as well that are free, one by CFGUY i believe.

I have used both a USBUIRT, and a Global Cache WF2IR device, and found that the Global Cache is the best, with the exception that you can't receive IR signals from it, whereas you can with the USBUIRT, what that means is that you might have a USBUIRT near the TV, and when it detects the TV power signal (IR) being sent it may turn off the lights in that room.

It might be worth starting a new topic, but you should give people an idea of the sort of things you are looking at automating, what your goals are and what you would like the system to be able to do. People have two thoughts in regards to automation, that the system should run in the background and 'blend in' or the system should be actively visible and 'chatty', depending on your personal preference, but people will be normally quite helpful and give you ideas on what works for them and doesn't work for them.

Comment

Working...
                    X