DSC Alexor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSC Alexor ?

I take it there's still no plug-in out there to allow Homeseer to interface with DSC's Alexor line?

Just started looking into the idea of buying a separate security system, instead of trying to get Homeseer to do it. Originally, I was just going to upgrade from X10... plus add some security-related devices because we've had a lot of break-ins in the neighborhood lately. But then I found that there apparently aren't any Z-wave glass break sensors. And then it occurred to me... if I'm going to get Homeseer to text me when an alarm triggers, it'd be nice to rig up the smoke alarms and CO alarm to do that to.

It seems it's hard to find a technology that handles all those devices without jumping over to a separate security system.

So, I started searching this forum and found a lot of recommendations about DSC's 1832/1864 line. Then I noticed the newer all-wireless systems, which seem to include "2-way wireless" for extra reliability. (Given my one-way experience with X10, two-way seems rather attractive.) Thus, my question.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

No there isn't one as far as I know but anyone who has the skills can design one using the HomeSeer SDK.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If you're the least bit worried about break-ins I wouldn't be worrying about using HomeSeer as an alarm system. For security (real security) you want something bulletproof and not dependent on a PC. While the Alexor is not a bad system it's much more useful in an apartment setting where you can't run any wire at all or are not allowed to and need security. In my estimation it falls into that "better than nothing" category. It's strength is also it's biggest weakness. It's completely wireless, right down to the CO2's, water monitors, and smokes. It also means there is no way to get the info out of the system and into a serial interface that HomeSeer can interface with.

You're better off with an 1832 model even if you had to use some wireless devices in spots that you just have no chance of getting wire to but in my opinion try to keep those to a minimum.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Well, nightwalker, I have a 1905 home, so I want to minimize drilling through walls, plus electrical outlets are few and far-between, so that's why I prefer wireless.

I am hardening up our doors and windows, but right now, I think our biggest weakness is the ability of somebody to break our windows out. So glass break sensors are a priority.

-= Dave =-

Comment

I understand the need for some wireless for different situations. That's why i recommended the 1832/64 system, it will allow wireless to be used for areas that need it as well as wired for those areas you can wire, it will also allow the serial interface that HomeSeer needs to interface with security for either control or just notifications.

Glass break sensors being just a sophisticated microphone can be placed in lots of places within a room, not just right at the window. In a spot across from the windows where you might be able to get a wire works too. If not there are wireless sensors available if you have no choice.

My only point to the post was to answer your question about the Alexor systems and HomeSeer integration, the lessor part was my opinion on security as a whole and putting safety in the hands of little battery operated devices. Its not my choice but that's just me.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

I take it that the "KIT32-219CP01NT" I see in Homeseer's store is the 1832 system, then? I see I can find it about $30 cheaper on other sites. But then again, it looks like they're shaving $20 off the plug-in price. Not to mention this weekend's free shipping offer.

Comment

I haven't looked in the HS store but i believe it is. As always shop around but i believe the IT-100 is included with that which would more than cover the $30 difference you see on some sites. If you have HSpro you already have the HS plug-in if not that's another savings and well we all like free shipping.
              Marty
              ------

Comment

Working...
              X